Renting halls for shows

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Renting halls for shows

Postby flanneljammies » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:48 pm

Does anyone have suggestions or experiences renting halls, basements, or meeting rooms in public buildings. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking about The Masonic Temple on Wisc. Ave and The Lakeside VFW. Any experiences with downtown churches? Is the Neighborhood House still around? Other ideas?

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Renting halls for shows

Postby eriedasch » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:53 pm

all ages or over 21 alcohol show?

For over 21 you might consider the Corral Room below Tornado Club or the Glass Nickel East basement is not too hard to get w/ no room rental.

I started playing original music in a small town where only bands bars would hire were cover or tribute types so renting halls was how we did our first number of shows.

VFW's and places not known for "shows" might be skeptical about younger people in bands renting the place, so tell them you want to throw a b-day party or some other themed celebration and thinking about having your friend's band play. I would think most places that rent out for wedding receptions, etc. would be OK with that on any nite they were open.

spacetiki
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spacetiki » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:13 am

VFW's and places not known for "shows" might be skeptical about younger people in bands renting the place, so tell them you want to throw a b-day party or some other themed celebration and thinking about having your friend's band play. I would think most places that rent out for wedding receptions, etc. would be OK with that on any nite they were open.

:lol:

flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby flanneljammies » Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:20 pm

Well, the Masonic Lodge is out -- too big (950 seats) and too expensive ($600). I did find out that the Neighborhood House is still open, but have not been able to get in touch yet about whether they still do shows.

kiak

Postby kiak » Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:44 pm

For acoustic or lighly amped concerts, try Gates of Heaven (small, via Madison Parks dept), St Francis House (medium size, on campus), Pres House (ditto) or First Unitarian Society (larger, more $). The churches are all really live and might not work for heavily amplified stuff.

I've heard that the performance space at the new Goodman Atwood community center has a nice stage setup and reasonable fees.

Return to “Madison Music”