DIY live video for local bands...a suggestion.

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

DIY live video for local bands...a suggestion.

Postby jammybastard » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:40 am

A couple of local bands have contacted me recently about shooting and editing live footage of their bands for the web and promo. I love doing this and I'm always willing to help.

One wanted a "professional" production until they saw the cost.
The other wanted something cool and unusual but wanted lots of live video in it to mix with art.

In both cases I told them that they might be better off going DIY.
Everyone has a camera that records video today, and almost everyone has a computer that can edit video.
The hardest thing to get right is the sound.

If you don't have a friends with cameras, you need one, and you need a cheap video camera get a Flip. $125, records 60 min of VGA quality video to internal flash drive, runs on 2AA batteries, connects to your computer via USB. Easy peasy.
Plus it looks good...I used mine to shoot Apparently Nothing at the Dane101 Halloween party the other night, and considering the low light and PA it looks and sounds great.

Now if everyone in your band gets one of these, mount them all over the stage, tape it to a microphone, give them to the audience, etc...you'd come out with pretty good coverage of your show for next to nothing in cost.

As for the audio...find a way to record it from the soundboard.
Most sound guys and gals are cool enough to help you get a stereo feed from the board. Just bring a lot of adapters and cables so you are ready for anything.

Dump all your video and audio into a computer,
lay out the master audio track from the soundboard,
lay out all the video in seperate tracks,
sync it all up and start cutting/effecting/etc...
have fun.
Last edited by jammybastard on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: DIY live video for local bands...a suggestion.

Postby harrissimo » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:17 am

Thanks Jammny for this post and thanks for turning us on to The Flip - I'm going to order one. I've been doing short little videos using my digital camera but it is frustrating to say the least. The Flip looks great. Anyhow, this is some great info and you do great work man!

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:54 pm

thanks Harris, just trying to help.
At some point I'm going to get a hold of 5-10 of those and do a shoot with them just for fun.

whit

Postby whit » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:54 pm

Totally. We have used the flip for our Lorenzo's Music netcasts (see latest here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 8345645411 )
for a while now. Easy peasy indeed.

That thing is amazing. I love the usb plug and playability.

droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:39 pm

Yeah sound is always the issue for us when we put together a live video project. If a board mix is not an option we have a stereo pair of SM81s that we set up and record straight to DAT. Sounds good and is very portable, but it's better to have some levels to adjust.

Those USB cameras are cute and user friendly, but I recomend people spend a little extra cash on the camera and get a couple of consumer grade Sony mini DV camcorders. You can find them brand new in the $200 range, maybe even cheaper with black friday coming up.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:07 pm

Hey Brad...

The best bang for the buck camera on the market right now is the
Canon HV20 or the newer HV30.

This is a full HD camera, shoots SD as well in 4:3 or 16:9.
Records on miniDV tape, output via firewire, component or HDMI.
This camera(s) does it all, but the best part is the price.
Eighteen months ago I paid a cool $1k for my HV20...
you can now get the newer HV30 for $649.99, or a refurbished (by Canon) HV20 for $520.99.

Again, that's a camera that does full HD at 480i/ 480p/1080i
for $520!!!

One extra tip...if you're doing rock and roll you'll want a wide angle lens so spend the cash you saved on a Raynox HD6600 Pro wide angle lens with 43mm-52mm step up ring.

droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:19 pm

Yeah, I had a total hard on for the HV20 when it came out. I decided to hold off on getting one because I was mainly looking for some cameras I could hand off to my buddies and bring out into the field without caring too much about their handling. I bought four decent lo-frills sony DCR-HC28s for less then what one of those Canons would cost me (at the time).

I'd still like to get one though. That camera would make an excellent music video/documentary, but when it comes to filming live perfomances I'm not too big into the HD phenomenon. I prefer to watch bands all dark, grainy, motion blured, and shot with lots of camera movement. Makes for a more interesting watch then back to back static shots of musicians standing in place and staring down at their fret boards. My opinion of course.

The Center Square
Forum Addict
Location: Above Phyllis Diller & next to Waylan Flowers & Madame

Postby The Center Square » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:28 pm

I've always been fond of when the HIDDEN CAMERA is used to shoot local bands.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:55 pm

Thanks Jams. That HV20 price is hard to beat. We're looking for something just along those lines.
FYI - Experience has taught me that tapes recorded on Canon cameras often don't like to be played back on anything but Canon equipment. Sometimes there are audio dropouts when trying to play back on Sorny, Magnetbox, etc.

I stopped videotaping any show I'm in. Can't stand seeing my own goonishness on the TV. I much prefer recording the audio only these days. Had pretty darn good results on Election Night at the Frequency:
3 condensors on stage - left / center /right
1 direct feed from the board
small mixer -> CD recorder

Return to “Madison Music”