El Guante blowing up?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

El Guante blowing up?

Postby jjoyce » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:43 am

I was listening to the Current's stream this morning (Minnesota Public Radio's pop music station) and up pops Madison ex-pat El Guante's newish single, "One of These Mornings."

Drive time play on a significant station? Not too damn bad!

I know Kyle still rolls into TDPF every once in a while, so congrats.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:06 pm

I wish El Guante all the success in the world, but not sure if getting airplay on the Current is what most would consider blowing up.

Got this in an email from a Mpls band (who tours nationally) about the station who is also playing their music:

"For those of you that live in the Twin Cities you likely know about 89.3 The Current. For those of you that don't, The Current is a Minnesota Public Radio station that specializes in playing music you won't hear on Top 40 or Clear Channel stations. It does a lot to promote up and coming bands and especially local Twin Cities bands..."

But regardless, glad to hear El Guante is getting exposure in the Twin Cities.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:10 pm

Well, there's a difference between the local music shows that you'll find on The Current and a slot in their prime-time shows. Here's what the hour looked like when they played El Guante:
9:58
Portishead - The Rip
9:55
Friendly Fires - Paris
9:50
Chuck Prophet - Soap and Water
9:44
Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood
9:35
Peter Bjorn And John - Young Folks
9:32
The Heavy - Set Me Free
9:28
El Guante - One Of These Mornings
9:22
Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal
9:18
Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
9:14
David Bowie - Ashes To Ashes
9:12
Eagles of Death Metal - Wannabe In L.A.
9:08
Son Volt - Drown
9:05
Calexico - Writer's Minor Holiday
9:01
Richard Hawley - Tonight The Streets Are Ours

The DJs are maybe under a directive to get a local act in once an hour or something, but that includes a lot of Jayhawks, Atmosphere, Replacements, Husker, Soul Asylum, Prince, Jeremy Messersmith, Hold Steady, etc. Hell, a look at the entire day displays a pretty solid lineup and very little in the way of nods to local for the sake of local.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:46 pm

you're right joyce. you're always right.

el guante
Forum Addict

Postby el guante » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:27 pm

haha a friend forwarded me this link. yeah my song has been in regular rotation for about a month now, and me and the label are pretty happy about it.

it is "kind of a big deal," in some sense, as the Current is largely, at least in the Twin Cities, the station the "cool kids" listen to. they don't play a whole lot of hip hop beyond hometown heroes atmosphere and doomtree either, so it's been a victory to get in their rotation, particularly as a nobody who is fairly new in town.

thanks for the kind words.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:28 pm

el guante wrote:haha a friend forwarded me this link. yeah my song has been in regular rotation for about a month now, and me and the label are pretty happy about it.

it is "kind of a big deal," in some sense, as the Current is largely, at least in the Twin Cities, the station the "cool kids" listen to. they don't play a whole lot of hip hop beyond hometown heroes atmosphere and doomtree either, so it's been a victory to get in their rotation, particularly as a nobody who is fairly new in town.

thanks for the kind words.

Go Guante! We are pulling for you!

droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Hell yeah, Kyle! Is that station reporting your plays to any national charts? You'd need to get a lot of spins to show up, but if the station is behind you and putting you into their regular rotation that is huge.

We started a national radio campaign this month and ended up debuting at #34 on FMQB's top 50 metal charts last week with no help whatsoever from our local commercial metal station. I can only imagine how far we could go if they were into backing us up with a couple spins here and there.

Hip Hop may be a harder egg to crack by being more saturated then metal, that I'm not sure about, but I know you've got the savy and the skills to give it a go. In any case I'm glad to hear the good news and I wish you the best, man.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: El Guante blowing up?

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:53 pm

City Pages names El Guante one of the Twin Cities' top artists of 2008:

http://www.citypages.com/2008-12-24/news/el-guante

Return to “Madison Music”