$1 per drink "musician tip"

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
sarah

$1 per drink "musician tip"

Postby sarah » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:19 am

So when did the Crave start charging $1 per drink ordered as a way to pay the band playing that night?

First of all, it's called charging a cover. If you can't bring people in when you charge a cover, maybe it's because you're booking crappy acts (tonight the opening band, the bombshelters, was better than the "main act" that plays every week, and they were only playing because they were asked to by the main act).

Second, if I want to tip the band, I'll tip the band, thanks. I would prefer to know my money is actually going to the band and actually going to the band that deserves it.

Anyway, is this a new gimmick at the Crave for 1/2 price wine nights or is this something to be expected? If that's the case, I'll happily go to the Monroe St. Bistro (it's closer and they book decent acts) instead.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:44 am

I imagine it has something to do with the bar probably not having a cabaret license. Just a guess though.

When bands play the Glass Nickel or the Willy St. Pub, I always see "donations welcome" on the flyers.

But yeah, that Crave situation you mentioned sounds lame.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:51 am

Bumping drink prices to pay for a band when you can't get a cover charge because your customer base is cheap or nobody in town charges a cover for live music is not unusual. A bar with a band that usually charges $2.50 for a Bud might tack on an extra 50¢ and if anybody balks the bartender will come out with, "We always hike the price when we have a band."

But I've never heard of it put in the manner of a tip for the band. Tip for playing something you ask for? Sure. Goes right to the band. Tip to ensure them not playing "Brown Eyed Girl?" I've had that happen, too.

I looked at the Crave's website and I'm thinking two things: $8 appletinis and patrons sitting on pokers who won't get up off a few bucks for a cover. I've been wrong before it sounds like they were, at least, up front about trying to pay for live music assuming that it actually got to the musicians.

I don't know anything about "cabaret licenses." Do you have to have one in Madison to charge a cover?

sarah

Postby sarah » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:29 am

Maybe it's not even a tip but just to help cover the cost of the band? I'm not really sure since it wasn't made very clear. I've heard Crave pays bands pretty well, though I don't know if there is any merit to these claims. Either way, I'm still spending my Wednesday nights elsewhere from now on.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:54 am

chainsawcurtis wrote:I don't know anything about "cabaret licenses." Do you have to have one in Madison to charge a cover?

The cabaret license no longer exists. And funny as it sounds, that was based primarily around dancing and having a dance floor / official dance area.

They now have an Entertainment license that governs establishments that offer live music.

It is tied to a liquor license for those that sell booze, but has a lot to do with amplified music, capacity, security plan, etc. and has to be approved by the ALRC.

From the city's website:
http://www.ci.madison.wi.us/clerk/licensingLiquor.cfm

IF you scroll halfway down under Entertainment licenses it gives links to application forms.

I don't think anything is mentioned about when or how a venue can charge a cover but only know some of the rough details.

I've not seen it in Madison, but I know in many other (smaller) towns as Chainsaw mentions, it is not uncommon to up drink prices when offerring live music.

Although it does seem like an odd / out of place thing to do at Crave. I was not aware the place even had live music. I assume this amounts to some acoustic performers doing their thing in one of the corners. Crave is a pretty small place.

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby chainsawcurtis » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:20 pm

eriedasch wrote:The cabaret license no longer exists. And funny as it sounds, that was based primarily around dancing and having a dance floor / official dance area.

It used to be like that in Chicago (maybe still) but I always thought it was, like, greasing palms, walking around money. You know - open a club, sure, but if you want to have a band and a dance floor the band's gotta be union and (nod and wink) you gotta buy a "cabaret license"). Talk to Vinnie at the alderman's office.

Also, I'm having a little trouble envisioning a couple of guys on stools playing acoustics and calling themselves The Bombshelters. Again, I been wrong before.

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:35 pm

It's really simple math:

Chance that I'm going to the Crave for a drink= 5%
Chance I'm going to the Crave for a drink if there's a cover charge= 0% (this is based off my dislike of the type of music they play).
Chance I'm going to have a drink at the Crave after I walk in and hear the kind of shit music they play at the Crave= 85%
Chance I'm going to have more than one drink when I finally notice the price jack= 85%

The point is, people automatically scratch a place off the list of places to have a drink if there is going to be a cover however they probably aren't going to leave right away because of a price jack (you don't typically go to the Crave to save money). While I don't go to the Crave often, I'm definitely not paying to get in. But if I do go, I'm not going to leave over what's percieved as just a dollar. (Personally, watching an awful band is more fun that most the OK bands).

FYI- My band, Rust Belt Sermon, is playing Friday, 17Oct08 at the Nickel. No cover, no jack.

Return to “Madison Music”