UW Marching Band Suspended

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:03 pm

AaronTheSnob wrote:Dweeb? I'm sure you meant that as a compliment.

Sorry, I meant it as an insult.

AaronTheSnob wrote:Interesting comments you wrote above. You sound like a real jewel of a guy.

Matter of fact I am a real jewel of a guy. But you still sound like a dweeb to me. I don't think you would be much fun to hang out with.

I'm wondering. Jason maybe you should ban every foron just to get the message across about disrespectin' the community.

<how do you like my Palin like dropping of the "g" in disrespecting/>

Archipants
Forum Addict

Postby Archipants » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:27 pm

Mean Scenester wrote:Flip comments aside, good riddance. The UW Band may have been a spectacle, but they've never been particularly musical. I think the goal has always been to ensure the band's volume is on a par with the size of Leckrone's ego.

Speaking of musicality: One of the local morning news shows had a featurette on the UW band a couple of weeks ago. A small cros section of the band (maybe 20 kids) performed one of their signature pieces in front of the camera - marching in place. As the camera (which must have had the microphone attached to the front of it) panned across the band I was horrified at just how bad they sounded individually! As the camera panned, you could hear each individual band member that the microphone was in front of. It sounded like some of them were missing every other note! It was pretty disgusting. But I suppose their view is that if they have enough members and play loud enough, they're bound to hit some correct notes between them.

I spent years marching drum corps when I was younger and I am quite aware of how good marching percussion and horns can be... and there are many very good college marching bands out there as well - though the UW is not one of them. If it were not for their ridiculous marching style and volume, no one would even notice them.

Oh yeah, nice freakin' astroturf practice field... good thing it was donated. I'd have flipped my lid if I found out my tax dollars went to pay for that.

Apologies for the rant.

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:33 pm

banjovee wrote:Plaza sauce and the UW Marching Band. Both enjoy legendary Madison status. Both are the very definition of nothing special.

In defense of Plaza sauce, it sure sounds a hell of a lot better than the band.

AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AaronTheSnob » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:40 pm

harrissimo wrote:
AaronTheSnob wrote:Dweeb? I'm sure you meant that as a compliment.

Sorry, I meant it as an insult.

AaronTheSnob wrote:Interesting comments you wrote above. You sound like a real jewel of a guy.

Matter of fact I am a real jewel of a guy. But you still sound like a dweeb to me. I don't think you would be much fun to hang out with.

I'm wondering. Jason maybe you should ban every foron just to get the message across about disrespectin' the community.

<how do you like my Palin like dropping of the "g" in disrespecting/>

Well, with all due respect: Anyone who uses the word "dweeb" and makes the kind of comments you made earlier about the female band members "asking for it" by the way they dress is definitely not someone I would want to hang out with anyway. So I'm glad the feeling is mutual.

Carry on.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:51 pm

AaronTheSnob wrote:Well, with all due respect: Anyone who uses the word "dweeb" and makes the kind of comments you made earlier about the female band members "asking for it" by the way they dress is definitely not someone I would want to hang out with anyway.

ehhh...OK

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:56 pm

jjoyce wrote:Instead, at Camp Randall, we get Ozzy over the P.A. and other nonsense.

Eat bat heads, jjoyce - Ozzy is "the Lenin of rock."

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:00 pm

nevermore wrote:I would rather hear "Crazy Train" on a loop for a half-hour than...

Oooh - I can play this game!

"...than one more second of Sarah Palin's nasal whine."

"...than one minute of the UW Marching Band (unless they are playing the theme from S.W.A.T.)."

"...the collected wit and wisdom of Harry Carey."

Join in, Forons! It's fun for the whole family!

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:21 pm

Archipants is exactly right.

Most marching bands are so bad that they need many people to play each each part.

That way, it's harder to hear how out of tune and off-time each one of them is.

(This theory is also deployed effectively by many jam bands).

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:35 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Archipants is exactly right.

Most marching bands are so bad that they need many people to play each each part.

That way, it's harder to hear how out of tune and off-time each one of them is.

(This theory is also deployed effectively by many jam bands).

Cheap shot, you know it. I agree though, and many orchestras are the same way, and punk bands would be if they could afford enough instruments.

Karl Hungus

Postby Karl Hungus » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:08 pm

jjoyce wrote:
Sophia Kitty wrote:Instead of suspending the whole band for the actions of a few, why not terminate the individuals who committed the violations from the band

Tried that. Didn't work.

I don't think kicking the kids out of school is too harsh. When you start to let sexual harassment like that slide, you're encouraging it. And when they're wearing a big 'W' on their chests, then it reflects poorly on everyone.

I also think they should yank Leckrone's annual band concerts from the Kohl Center. Let him find another place to hold these extravagant celebrations of himself.

Pretty big talk from a guy who doesn't know what actually happened in this new round of allegations. None of you do. Neither do I but I have some ideas passed on from people who just might know.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Sheesh.

Postby Marvell » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:02 am

Karl Hungus wrote:Pretty big talk from a guy who doesn't know what actually happened in this new round of allegations. None of you do. Neither do I but I have some ideas passed on from people who just might know.

Well, sure - but can the voices in your head be trusted?

I mean, shit - I have some ideas passed on from people who just might know as well. For instance, the crazy homeless guy on the corner said it was all the work of Ron Paul and/or aliens. And he just might know!

[/snark]

Karl Hungus

Re: Sheesh.

Postby Karl Hungus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:09 am

Marvell wrote:
Karl Hungus wrote:Pretty big talk from a guy who doesn't know what actually happened in this new round of allegations. None of you do. Neither do I but I have some ideas passed on from people who just might know.

Well, sure - but can the voices in your head be trusted?

I mean, shit - I have some ideas passed on from people who just might know as well. For instance, the crazy homeless guy on the corner said it was all the work of Ron Paul and/or aliens. And he just might know!

[/unfunny asshole]

Fixed it for you.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:22 am

Karl: You're new here (or maybe you aren't), but the deal is that people here post plainly about what they think. "Pretty big talk" is kind of the whole point. And when I'm posting under my actual name, obviously I understand the ramifications.

The band isn't as great is it or its director believes it is. Now, for two out of three years, it's made national headlines not for its excellence or its contributions to society at large, but for its misbehavior. Drinking is one thing, but add sexual harassment and you've got people's interest.

Not many of us do know what's up exactly, but that shouldn't be the case for long. You've got an organization that gets some pretty nice perks based on its status as ambassadors for the state (not just the university or the music department) and that means coming correct and showing some contrition for what happened. If there are guys in band who are enabled to hazing women (and that's what it is if they're allowed to do this in a group setting during an official function), then those guys should be treated just like someone who does that kind of thing in the work place.

Karl Hungus

Postby Karl Hungus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:40 am

jjoyce wrote:Karl: You're new here (or maybe you aren't), but the deal is that people here post plainly about what they think. "Pretty big talk" is kind of the whole point. And when I'm posting under my actual name, obviously I understand the ramifications.

The band isn't as great is it or its director believes it is. Now, for two out of three years, it's made national headlines not for its excellence or its contributions to society at large, but for its misbehavior. Drinking is one thing, but add sexual harassment and you've got people's interest.

Not many of us do know what's up exactly, but that shouldn't be the case for long. You've got an organization that gets some pretty nice perks based on its status as ambassadors for the state (not just the university or the music department) and that means coming correct and showing some contrition for what happened. If there are guys in band who are enabled to hazing women (and that's what it is if they're allowed to do this in a group setting during an official function), then those guys should be treated just like someone who does that kind of thing in the work place.

You obviously have issues with the band that go beyond sexual harrassment.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sheesh.

Postby Marvell » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:49 am

Jabbering Paranoiac wrote:
Fixed it for you.

Right back at you, O Hungus Who Walks Among Us.

Maybe you just might know someone who can tell you that your ass is not a hole in the ground.

Return to “Madison Music”