Radio, Radio

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Radio, Radio

Postby Shipley » Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:57 am

I think I hate radio in Madison. I'm forced to listen to it all day at work, without the option of popping in a CD or MP3 player.

Usually we listen to 105.5 WMMM. Their slogan is "world class rock" which apparently means "play the same dozen or so songs over and over" They try to be as diverse as possible, which is to their credit. But they'll pick a random song like the one-hit wonder by the Primitive Radio Gods or "Wrap it up, I'll take it" by the Fabulous Thunderbirds and I'll hear it every day for a month. a few months ago I heard "Roam" by the B-52s every day. They've got the idea of digging deep in the crates for songs, but can't quite grasp the idea of digging often, because it doesn't matter if the song is obscure if you're going to play it like its new.

I'm getting older maybe, but WJJO has completely lost me. I still listen to plenty of hard rock and metal at home, but their playlist as a reflection of the worst scream-0 and metal by numbers alienates me completely. I've been listening to Active Rock stations in every city I've lived and WJJO does win points for having the most diverse playlist, even if the times mean that playlist is shit.

WMAD is back again, but HD only. They actually did dig deep and whip out some weird selections like "Coma" by GNR or random Public Enemy songs with their cavalcade of Modern Rock. It all fit the format. Shame I can't stream it here at work.

Z104 plays the Top 40, which isn't always great but its usually fine music to work to since the Top 40 changes frequently and its usually upbeat. But during peak hours they do that annoying 61-minute-hour where they speed up songs to make room for more commercials. When you take a female singer up and speed her up, it sounds like a chipmunk song.

My other options at work with our ancient tuner at WOLX, Magic 98, and q106. Country annoys my co-workers, but doesn't bother me as much because I don't know all the songs and i'm not distracted by hearing "Wrap It up, I'll take it" for the 9th time in a week. WOLX is dipping into the late 70s, thus putting its playlist dangerously close to the WIBA FM's, at least for rock.

Magic 98 is what plays in a dental office in hell.

Maybe I need to buy one of those ipod FM transmitters and play 16 hours of They Might Be Giants at work.

Whats everyone listen to here, when chained to a radio?

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:03 am

If you're stuck hearing radio all day every day, I'd suggest you listen to WORT (89.9) as they have much more variety than any other station in town.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:11 am

WIBA FM, classic rock'n'roll patrol, until 5AM, then WOLX, because Bob and Tom are not f'ing funny. At all. Ever. Or ever will be.

I know all the songs on 94.9 and I must be too old for Top 40 now because I just don't get it. And the "new" country is even worse than Top 40...formulaic and stupid.

Most of the time until 5, I'm in and out of the car so having the comfort of knowing I will hear "Dirty Deeds Done Dirty Cheap" again in a couple hours is nice. I have also heard the Clash after 3AM which was a huge, pleasant, if not confusing, surprise. And it wasn't "Rock the Casbah" or "Should I Stay Or Should I Go?" either.

WIBA AM if Coast has a good topic too...love that Bigfoot and Conspiracy talk.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:18 am

Triple M's latest fascination is Midnight Oil's "Beds Are Burning." And when I say "latest," I mean "for the last 6 months, at least."

I'll be honest; I almost never listen to music radio anymore. If the radio is on in my life, it's 70% 1070AM (ESPN talk), 5% 92.1 (Air America, pretty much only for Rachel Maddow on Tuesday nights), 7% 105.5, and the rest tuned to 87.9 for my iPod FM transmitter.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:29 am

rrnate wrote:If you're stuck hearing radio all day every day, I'd suggest you listen to WORT (89.9) as they have much more variety than any other station in town.

Tried it, but its not quite 'music to buy a car to' I like it and 91.7 when I'm in the car and didn't think to bring the ipod along.

I guess I'm just looking to complain about WMMM. This station squanders its potential so regularly by repeating itself with songs not worth hearing once in a while.

105.1 would be great if it tuned in well here, but even they stay with some pretty safe hits.

I guess I just want a station that thinks a little more progressive and thinks a little harder about the music people like to listen to and how often they want to hear the same songs. With increased pressure from digital music players, you'd think they're want to try to earn some of those people back by making them remember why radio used to be cool: You'd hear songs you can be surprised by.

but at 4 PM today I'm going to get that terrible "smoke 2 joints" song drilled into my heard on WMMM again, even though I've still got 2 hours until my weekend starts. How is this funny more than once?

ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Postby ouroborus4 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:35 am

Shipley wrote:
rrnate wrote:If you're stuck hearing radio all day every day, I'd suggest you listen to WORT (89.9) as they have much more variety than any other station in town.

Tried it, but its not quite 'music to buy a car to' I like it and 91.7 when I'm in the car and didn't think to bring the ipod along.

I guess I'm just looking to complain about WMMM. This station squanders its potential so regularly by repeating itself with songs not worth hearing once in a while.

105.1 would be great if it tuned in well here, but even they stay with some pretty safe hits.

I guess I just want a station that thinks a little more progressive and thinks a little harder about the music people like to listen to and how often they want to hear the same songs. With increased pressure from digital music players, you'd think they're want to try to earn some of those people back by making them remember why radio used to be cool: You'd hear songs you can be surprised by.

but at 4 PM today I'm going to get that terrible "smoke 2 joints" song drilled into my heard on WMMM again, even though I've still got 2 hours until my weekend starts. How is this funny more than once?

its not funny more than once. i'm not sure if it was funny even once.

i was going to suggest 91.7, but looks like you've already explored that area. that's usually my default when radio is the only option because its diverse and authentic. you get just about every genre depending on when you listen. that said it can be pretty hit-or-miss. just because something's unique doesn't mean its good and should be played on the radio. its the only station i've consistently found good blues though...

Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:35 am

Shipley:

You'd better shut up or get cut up. They don't want to hear about it. It's only inches on the reel-to-reel.

Duh.

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Frank Booth » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:55 am

Walter wrote:WIBA AM if Coast has a good topic too...love that Bigfoot and Conspiracy talk.

I discovered that show driving cross-country last year, and it became a quick favorite. Did you know that the bees dying off is not a biological phenomenon but rather they are being heisted by aliens, who are preparing for the end times?

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:24 pm

I'm more worried about 2012 and the end of the Mayan Calendar.

I've already started to work on my flexibility so I can bend over and kiss my ass goodbye.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:10 pm

Walter wrote:Most of the time until 5, I'm in and out of the car so having the comfort of knowing I will hear "Dirty Deeds Done Dirty Cheap" again in a couple hours is nice.

Somehow this seems appropriate in a squad car.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:13 pm

I can't stand commercial radio anymore. Period. Call me old, I guess.

I flip between WORT 89.9 and WSUM 91.7 for music, and if I don't find what I'm in the mood for there, it's off to CD land.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:17 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Walter wrote:Most of the time until 5, I'm in and out of the car so having the comfort of knowing I will hear "Dirty Deeds Done Dirty Cheap" again in a couple hours is nice.

Somehow this seems appropriate in a squad car.

Our secret to low,low prices? Volume, volume, volume!!! We cut out the middleman and pass the savings onto you!!!

Learned
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Radio, Radio

Postby Learned » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:33 pm

Shipley wrote: a random song like the one-hit wonder by the Primitive Radio Gods ...

I do enjoy The Cable Guy, though.

mayact4
Forum Addict

Postby mayact4 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:46 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:.... and the rest tuned to 87.9 for my iPod FM transmitter.

How does 87.9 work for you for the iPod? I've been using 89.1, which seemed fine for awhile but lately the static is horrendous, especially in the morning and even more especially with podcasts. I can barely listen to it, but as I play around with other stations I haven't found anything better.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:45 pm

Hardly any problems. I'm no audiophile, so the quality might be fingernails-on-the-chalkboard for some. I wouldn't know, though; I'm happy, and I can only hear a little static when there's no other sound coming through.

Return to “Madison Music”