Forward Music Fest Transform the Madison music scene?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:50 am

charliedon'tsurf wrote:I think that is an important point. No, this one festival will not transform shit, but it is a beginning. However if this can be pulled successfully as an annual event that expands into more days, more venues and larger amount of bands it will snowball on word of mouth. The primary organizers wisely chose to limit the size and scope this first year. In the spirit of being overly ambitious could be too much to take on, fail utterly and prove to the naysayers that such a festival would not be able to take place in Madison.

<my edit>

I know a couple tangible goals and hopes I have this first year is too maybe get people who don't go to tons of shows into our wonderful venues and possibly create return customers. Also maybe get some undergrads to check out FMF and likewise return later in the year for 18+ show opportunities benefiting performers and venues in the future. Or so I hope.

Excellent points. I'm glad that you and the other organizers are looking at it this way, I think you've got the right perspective for making this a regularly successful event.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:49 am

Bunny Chow wrote:Looks like the weather will be perfect!

Nothing more minatory than sopping wet stumbling madison music fans.

Dave and Noble can rest easy tonight at their slumber party.

Why do you think they have any worries in the first place?

I work for the Man and he hasn't said shit about the FMF yet and isn't it about to literally begin as I type?

I bought an entry pass for Killdozer...see you there?

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:53 am

Walter wrote:

I work for the Man and he hasn't said shit about the FMF yet and isn't it about to literally begin as I type?

Just making a joke, Walter. Saw you at Motorhead....you have to admit that was a well behaved crowd.

Probably won't go to Killdozer. I am trying to get some work done to reward myself to see at least one act tonight. Have fun!

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:
Walter wrote:

Just making a joke, Walter. Saw you at Motorhead....you have to admit that was a well behaved crowd.

Probably won't go to Killdozer. I am trying to get some work done to reward myself to see at least one act tonight. Have fun!

Sorry, I'm a little sensitive about the idea we (the cops at least) don't want music in this town. I'm more pissed I can't make the Detroit Cobras tonight!

I wasn't surprised by the crowd at Motorhead. As long as a group (shows up on time and puts on a decent show) and the venue (doesn't oversell the show) deliver, things almost always go well. I think the Orpheum learned its lesson after the Naughty by Nature show a few years ago on Halloween...cause of the problems, see above, not the type of music.

Rest assured, fun will be had at Killdozer. I hope I can score a couple T-shirts because I wore out my man being bitten by 2 bulldogs and "our friend the artificial inseminator" shirts a long time ago.

I think the FMF has a chance to start something here but it will take a few years of success to establish it as a major deal in the college/underground/alternative/whatever they call nowadays music scene.

Plus, get more UW students to get to shows in town on a regular basis to get bands to stop here throughout the year or even just go to see the local bands for that matter. I wish I knew how to do that.

See you all at the God Damns CD release at Mickey's and Nick Lowe at the Barrymore. Wahoo!!!

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:24 pm

Walter wrote:Plus, get more UW students to get to shows in town on a regular basis to get bands to stop here throughout the year or even just go to see the local bands for that matter. I wish I knew how to do that.

Yeah, that's a tough one. Hopefully, some of them will attend the FMF, see a local band, and then become a fan.

Damn, when I came here to school damn near 18 years ago, I couldn't wait to turn 21 and see local bands.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:48 pm

I have been mystified at the low level of support by UW students for local bands. I attended the UW in the late 60s and early 70s and that was not the case at all during that time.

My daughter attended the UW undergrad and is now a graduate student at the UW. She and her crowd are huge music fans. They will drive to Milwaukee to hear a band but pass up many Madison shows. She has never given me a very good explanation. Perhaps the Forward over time will help with this situation.

Does anyone have any theories of why UW students don't support local bands?

rick
Forum Addict

Postby rick » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:30 pm

They can't drink.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:57 pm

rick wrote:They can't drink.

If you HAVE to drink to see a band, you are more interested in drinking than the music. If you need to drink to make the show more fun, you need to go see better bands.

There's nothing wrong with an all ages show. People who won't go to shows because they can't drink are weak. Come on, you can't go out for 1 night without drinking?

If you're under 21 and there is no all ages show, then you have to wait. Or use your fake id and BEHAVE yourself. I don't condone it but I understand it.

rick
Forum Addict

Postby rick » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:14 pm

I agree with you in theory but in practice this is absolutely the case.

Those of us around in the 80s when the age was raised witnessed the end of the golden era of local music.

What do you suppose college kids are doing on a Friday night - studying?

The recent discussions about lowering the age again are shocking to me - never thought I'd see that happen anytime soon.

The only way to get these kids back in the clubs is to treat them like the adults they are.

They'll dance all night, too.

explosia

Postby explosia » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:47 pm

Walter wrote:
rick wrote:They can't drink.

If you HAVE to drink to see a band, you are more interested in drinking than the music. If you need to drink to make the show more fun, you need to go see better bands.

People who won't go to shows because they can't drink are weak. Come on, you can't go out for 1 night without drinking?

But music sounds so much better with a PBR in your hand/liver....

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:43 pm

rick wrote:I agree with you in theory but in practice this is absolutely the case.

Those of us around in the 80s when the age was raised witnessed the end of the golden era of local music.

What do you suppose college kids are doing on a Friday night - studying?

The only way to get these kids back in the clubs is to treat them like the adults they are.

I was grandfathered in the 80s. I don't know about any golden era of local music in Madison because I was in Minneapolis at the time. The late 80s wasn't the end of local music there.

I know what some college kids are doing on Friday night. I've been hauling them to detox and writing them tickets for breaking stuff and punching each other. That's only some of them, though. There certainly aren't 40,000 college students on State Street or at house parties on a Friday night so the vast majority can't be only out drinking.

My experience with treating these "kids" like adults very often results in them telling me "C'mon, I'm a good kid, can't you let me go?" or "Do you have any idea who my father is?". (answers: No and If you don't know who your father is, how am I supposed to know?)

I guess I have a lower threshold for underage persons drinking and not controlling themselves. When you've taken a 21 year old (4 months past his 21st), found passed out with a sub in his hand inside the sandwich shop, to Detox and it's his 5th time there, he blows a 0.24, find out from his friends his nickname is "Detox", then find him in a bar the next night, and finally to top it all off, he gets taken to detox the night after that for trip #6, it hard to just think lowering the drinking age will fix a host of alcohol related problems.

Sorry to swerve off topic:

FMF is a good thing

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:49 pm

explosia wrote:
But music sounds so much better with a PBR in your hand/liver....

That reminds me of the time a friend of mine went to see the Cure and he thought they were great. I asked him how the band was and he said:

"They had an awesome light show."

And that was it.

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:15 pm

Any student worth their salt has a phony ID.

aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Walter wrote:If you HAVE to drink to see a band, you are more interested in drinking than the music.

Yes, well, that's most people who see live music.

Qbert

Postby Qbert » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:31 pm

I am 34 and saw a hundred bands if I saw one here from 92 to 98. It drives me crazy that "kids" nowadays would seem to rather listen to a DJ than a live band. I had a fake ID at 18. I was responsible yet most likely drunk at most of the shows and had a great time. My only regret is that I don't really remember many of the bands I saw. My partner was with me for almost all the shows and gives me shit every time I say I never saw a band, when I actually had.

Return to “Madison Music”