So I pop in the October '08 PASTE CD Sampler and...

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
keelio
Forum God/Goddess

So I pop in the October '08 PASTE CD Sampler and...

Postby keelio » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:51 pm

...lo and behold, back to back Madison bands - Pale Young Gentlemen & Sleeping in the Aviary! Big ups & congrats!

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:26 pm

they pay for that, you know...

keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:47 am

Even if they have to pay to be played, they go through a selection process of some sort (see below). So I still think it's cool to have them sharing billing with some highly regarded indy artists.

How do tracks get placed on the Sampler?
Slots on the Paste Sampler are hard to come by and are by Paste’s invitation only – but they aren’t free. Think of them as advertisements that sing. But in order to give our subscribers the best value, Paste chooses the artists that we most want to feature. You are still welcome to pitch your artist for a Sampler track. Contact nate@pastemagazine.com.

rockmama
Forum Addict

Postby rockmama » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:18 am

Who else is on the record?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:44 am

Knee jerk reaction is that pay-to-play is wrong. Then I wondered how much the bands had to pay to be part of the comp. If it were just to cover their share of the CD production costs I would think that's fair. If Paste charged additional "promotion" fees I'd cry foul. The mag itself gets the most hype out of the comp and they're already getting free use of the bands' songs.

Would your band like to play my exclusive party? Yeah? Sweet! In addition to bringing all your equipment & PA could you also bring the beer, booze, grill, food, and people? Also, can we have it at your place?

SOS

Postby SOS » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:21 pm

The bands didn't have to pay anything. Their label did.

All of those CD samplers come with a price because it's a form of advertising. Personally, i prefer to promote and advertise with actual music rather than print ads.

Many of the music mags just have you pay a fee to put a track on their sampler, but keelio is correct, Paste has to approve and actually like the song. But yeah, you still have to pay for it.

CMJ previews tracks, but i think it's basically to make sure there's not foul language or something horrid on there. With Magnet, you basically hand them the dough and there's your track.

PYG and SITA will both have tracks on some other upcoming samplers, and they'll be going on some pretty extensive tours to promote their albums. We're very excited about both releases!

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:28 pm

How many CDs were distributed by Paste? How much did SOS pay for each song inclusion? TMI?

keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:43 pm

rockmama wrote:Who else is on the record?

Others include:
Benji Hughes
Michael Franti & Spearhead
Dar Williams
SMV
Okkervil River
Break and Repair Method
Josh Rouse
Damien Jurado
Old Crow Medicine Show
Gabe Dixon Band
Born Again Floozies
Marc Broussard
Noah and the Whale
Randall Bramblett
Andrew Bird
Kimya Dawson

Typically an eclectic mix

droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:44 pm

I really dig what SOS is doing - keeping things tight knit and focusing on developing the artists one or two at a time. Seems to me like that's the way to go. I wish you guys the best of luck.

SOS

Postby SOS » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:48 pm

supaunknown wrote:How many CDs were distributed by Paste? How much did SOS pay for each song inclusion? TMI?

Paste distributes about 300,000 copies.

We had to give them twenty gallons of high-quality dark chocolate sauce and our two children.

SOS

Postby SOS » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:49 pm

droidsattack wrote:I really dig what SOS is doing - keeping things tight knit and focusing on developing the artists one or two at a time. Seems to me like that's the way to go. I wish you guys the best of luck.

REALLY appreciate that. Thank you.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:58 pm

Back many a year ago I was on a Pop Culture Press sampler disc. I think I plunked down $200 for the slot. Got a free copy of the zine with the disc. Don't know if I sold any music because of it but it was kinda cool.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:14 pm

SOS wrote:
supaunknown wrote:How many CDs were distributed by Paste? How much did SOS pay for each song inclusion? TMI?

We had to give them twenty gallons of high-quality dark chocolate sauce and our two children.

Damn weakened US dollar.

Math. You could probably create your own SOS comp CD and have 300,000 copies replicated for about $.20 each / $60,000 total, but then you'd have to distribute them all yourselves. That would be a costly pain.

I've come to the happy conclusion that SOS is the bestest, most supportive label ever.

SOS

Postby SOS » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:12 pm

supaunknown wrote:
SOS wrote:

Damn weakened US dollar.

Math. You could probably create your own SOS comp CD and have 300,000 copies replicated for about $.20 each / $60,000 total, but then you'd have to distribute them all yourselves. That would be a costly pain.

I've come to the happy conclusion that SOS is the bestest, most supportive label ever.

Whoah! $60,000 would be a costly pain in itself!

We don't have enough active bands to do a comp of our own at this point, but hopefully some day. But we surely wouldn't press 300,000. :shock:

As far as being supportive (thanks, Supa)... yes we are... but i wouldn't say more than any other labels. We just happened to be fortunate enough to have quite a bit of seed money to try the approach we're currently testing. Not that we're not working our asses off, we are... but i'm sure other labels would do just as much of the promotion stuff if they could afford it. And that makes me feel both lucky and guilty at the same time.

Our main purpose is to try to do as much as we can to get music out there that excites us. That makes me feel good! Yeah!

rockmama
Forum Addict

Postby rockmama » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:53 am

droidsattack wrote:I really dig what SOS is doing - keeping things tight knit and focusing on developing the artists one or two at a time. Seems to me like that's the way to go. I wish you guys the best of luck.

AMEN!

Return to “Madison Music”