Anybody go to Soco last night?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Anybody go to Soco last night?

Postby nevermore » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:02 pm

mrs. nevermore and I went and I was glad to see the Black Keys (OK, could use a bassist) and were shocked by The Roots. We have Phrenology, Game Theory and Rising Down and were still blown away by their live musical range. I was also pleasantly surprised that I wasn't overwhelmed by the corporate presence and how well the crowd seemed to behave.

Flowers

Postby Flowers » Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:09 pm

How was the Selfish Gene?

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:01 am

My second year at the SoCo experience and thumbs up from my perspective. I thought the line-up was better this year. Last year the only band I cared about was the Flaming Lips. This year I was stoked about GZA, The Roots and The Black Keys all three of which rocked hard. For a larger outdoor venue I like Willow Island. I thought the sound was decent and good sight lines anywhere you are standing. Security was chill as crotching my contraband Irish whiskey turned out to be unnecessary entering the gate, in fact I wish I had brought more since I was not scrutinized. Lots of weed smoking going on down front and the security seemed to take a “decriminalizedâ€Â

Qarb
Forum Addict

Postby Qarb » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:55 am

Rahzel hasn't toured with the Roots for almost 10 years

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:03 pm

Qarb wrote:Rahzel hasn't toured with the Roots for almost 10 years
That certainly would be a valid excuse for his absense. I only like, don't love, the Roots and have not been paying close attention as my previous post attests to. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bruno
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bruno » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:22 pm

I was there. Pretty out of it from getting only an hour of sleep the night before, but I still managed to shoot pretty well, I think - my gallery's posted over Dane 101.

aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:48 pm

I really wanted to go -- and was especially disappointed I didn't when I found out Cody ChestnuTT was there for "The Seed" -- but by the time I was going to leave to catch the Black Keys I was just too tired to leave the house. I had a busy as hell week which also kept me from seeing System and Station the night before.

superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby superman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:45 pm

Flowers wrote:How was the Selfish Gene?

They were awesome! It was the first time I had seen them with that drummer. The Black Keys were good, but that guy's guitar tone was pretty muddy.

Return to “Madison Music”