Mastering in Madison

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Mr. Williams

Mastering in Madison

Postby Mr. Williams » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:04 pm

You guy's helped out for recording studio's, now we've moved on to mastering. Any good ones in Madison that people have used? I've sent out a few feelers to a few studios, still waiting to hear back. I'm hoping some studio in Madison can polish our turd so I can see my self in it.

thanks....
a

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:00 pm

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:38 pm

send it to Colossal in Chicago.

http://www.colossalmastering.com/

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:59 am

I heard from Whit at DNA recently and he said he just got a pile of new analog mastering specific equipment, not plug ins.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:30 am

Tom Blain mastered 2 CDs for bands I'm in:
Digibot Brutal
The Shabelles Making Love With The Shabelles
He's also a very nice guy.
http://www.ultimateaudiomastering.com/

ColumbiaCounty

Postby ColumbiaCounty » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:56 am

I'd also toss in a vote for Tom Blain. Great guy. He does really nice work and has always gone above and beyond the call of duty to make a project sound good.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:41 pm

If you're not so inclined to use my services, I do wholeheartedly recommend Brian Hazard of Resonance Mastering in CA. He does fantastic work, and is very competatively priced.

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:43 am

Hi - my name is Biff and I do a lot of mastering, from Natty Nation's first album, to Hanah Jon Taylor, to Cobbz Webb, to Headpump, King Crimson, the Gomers, Reptile Palace Orchestra, Jay Moran's Emmetville, Ritt Dietz's last couple and Charlie Cheney's Giant Chicken.

affordable, local, and as good as Colossal in CGO, imo.

I have personally had lame experiences w. John Golden Mastering out west... stay local, pony boy.

clients: http://beeftone.com/clients.html

rock on.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:23 am

Bifftar wrote:Cobbz Webb

I gotta ask as I heard a rumor, did Dave Cobb really cut his hair?

The person looking for a singer for their Slayer cover band would do well looking into Dave Cobb as their man. He plays bass as well. Is South of Heaven on the Gomeroke song list?

The Diode
Forum Addict

Postby The Diode » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:21 am

Bifftar wrote:I have personally had lame experiences w. John Golden Mastering out west...

The number of unsatisfied Golden clients
is in the fractions.
I'd guess that whatever problem you had there
is your own fault.

I know it's not local enough for some,
but Chicago Mastering Service does some fine work.

flanneljammies
Forum Addict

Postby flanneljammies » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:21 pm

Saff Mastering in Chicago is awesome, cheap, and delivers incredible customer service.

He's done stuff for
Touch & Go / Quarterstick - Secretly Canadian - Jagjaguwar - Temporary Residence - Important - Dim Mak - Troubleman Unlimited - Ecstatic Peace - Deep Elm - Atavistic - Johann's Face - Sick Room - File-13 - Six Gun Lover - Stickfigure - Thick - My Pal God

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:31 pm

The Diode wrote:
Bifftar wrote:I have personally had lame experiences w. John Golden Mastering out west...

is in the fractions.
is your own fault.

I know it's not local enough for some,
but Chicago Mastering Service does some fine work.

I'm with the Diode here. John Golden did a great job mastering a IfIHadAHiFi/Modern Machines split release that Crustacean Records put out on CD and 12" picture disc. Reasonable prices, project turnaround and a rightfully great reputation from years and years of quality mastering for clients famous and non. We ended up going with Golden Mastering at the request of a band on that split release, but I would strongly consider him for future projects.

Not calling you a liar or laying the blame on your end, Biff, but you are just the first person I have ever heard who was not happy with the work done at Golden.

lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:55 pm

juanton wrote:

I gotta ask as I heard a rumor, did Dave Cobb really cut his hair?

As I recall, he was shaved bald last time I saw him (which wasn't too recently).

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:31 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote:
The Diode wrote:

is in the fractions.
is your own fault.

Not calling you a liar or laying the blame on your end, Biff, but you are just the first person I have ever heard who was not happy with the work done at Golden.

Understood.

We needed it faster than they could provide - in their defense maybe it was at a peak time for them. Beyond that, their first print wasn't right in the low end, and the second one wasn't right either. For the money we spent and crap we waded thru, I should have just done it myself. Maybe I'm just overly picky but - I could have made it sound better, quicker, much cheaper and with less headaches.

I thought the Calexico record they did sounded fantastic; it appears different Golden engineers do different projects, so - we paid and learned. It's like living and learning, only more costly. :roll:

Also, it wasn't just rock material - it was a Reptile record (We Know You Know) which is all over the map, recorded and mixed over 6 years... I'm sure they're great with more normal rock'n'roll, just like Colossal is.

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:38 pm

juanton wrote:

Is South of Heaven on the Gomeroke song list?

not yet!

Return to “Madison Music”