Motorhead is coming back to Madison!

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:11 pm

small cheese wrote:
charliedon'tsurf wrote:and I never head of Yearlong Divide

Probably because there is no such band. It's Year Long Disaster. I know nothing about them, but a friend of mine was really looking forward to their show in Madison a few months ago. I think it was canceled.

That does make more sense and I had heard of that band, but the factual error was not my doing. I cut and pasted the openers in from correspondence my WORT music director forwarded me that came right from Frank Productions. Hopefully they figure it out before they make flyers.

droidsattack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby droidsattack » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:58 pm

small cheese wrote:Probably because there is no such band. It's Year Long Disaster. I know nothing about them, but a friend of mine was really looking forward to their show in Madison a few months ago. I think it was canceled.

They were just at The High Noon Saloon like a month ago with Burning Brides. Hardly anyone was there.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:38 am

Have I died and just gone to heaven (or hell)? The Misfits and Motörhead on the same night at the Orph?

Wow.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:28 pm

OK, here's my old person complaint. Not entirely because I am getting old, but more like I have had it with the music entertainment industry making me put up with bullshit and jump through hoops most of the time I pay for some of their services.

So, I might want to go catch Motorhead, right? Oh, the Misfits are opening, well, that sounds cool, too. After I buy tickets, what time do I show up? Here's the big fargin' catch: if you want to get a good seat, you better show up at least three hours before Motorhead will actually go on, because there are three (3) bands you will never care about that have to set up, perform, and take down before the Misfits hit the stage.

Is there anything to this plan other than extracting every possible dollar from the attendees' pockets via beverage purchases?

---I just paused for a couple minutes in the middle of this, and re-read what I had so far to get back on track, and I realized what I am getting at is the need for Golden Circle seating for Motorhead.

Sorry, forget it, have fun at the rock show.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:53 pm

I couldn't get past the almost $50 for tickets once all the service charges are added in. I like Motorhead as much as the next guy, but that's a bit much... :shock:

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:17 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:I couldn't get past the almost $50 for tickets once all the service charges are added in. I like Motorhead as much as the next guy, but that's a bit much... :shock:

Yup, that's why I'm skipping it.
It's a multi-band bill and that's why the price is what it is.
Oh well.

small cheese
Forum God/Goddess

Postby small cheese » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:48 pm

droidsattack wrote:
small cheese wrote:Probably because there is no such band. It's Year Long Disaster. I know nothing about them, but a friend of mine was really looking forward to their show in Madison a few months ago. I think it was canceled.

They were just at The High Noon Saloon like a month ago with Burning Brides. Hardly anyone was there.

Ah, yes. June 16. I was the one that had to cancel - flooded basement and subsequent house disasters to deal with at the time.

My memory sucks almost as much as Ticketmaster's charges.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:11 am

Michael Patrick wrote:I couldn't get past the almost $50 for tickets once all the service charges are added in. I like Motorhead as much as the next guy, but that's a bit much... :shock:
Yeah $50 is a bit pricey, but then again I can justify paying this much money for utter rock legends who most likely will not be playing shows a decade from now. All that tweek has to catch up with Lemmy one of these days. And the fact I do not have to deal with Chicago’s ridiculous traffic or the shit sound at the Rave in Milwaukee and associated gas expenses, justifies paying $50 for a Motorhead show within walking distance of my apartment. It is totally at the very high end of what I am willing to pay to see a band, but for Motorhead normal rules don’t necessarily apply. For the record I like Motorhead more than the next guy.

I have not bought a ticket yet because I do not think they will sell out the big room at the Orpheum or at least not that far in advance. Does anyone know, can you buy tickets right from the Orpheum box office for the show thereby not giving the pricks at Ticketmaster money? Has anybody tried that?

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:18 am

jammybastard wrote:

Yup, that's why I'm skipping it.
It's a multi-band bill and that's why the price is what it is.
Oh well.

I don't think the high price is because of supporting acts. I'd bet dollar to donuts the only one of those bands besides Motorhead that could justify a five figure guarentee is The Misfits.

I blame the high price on Motorhead's well-merited and earned big guarentee and the exchange rate further increasing their asking price. Another bad part of the dollar falling in value is that international artists have to ask for more greenbacks to make ends meet which in turn is passed onto concert goers in our crumbling superpower.
Last edited by charliedon'tsurf on Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:29 am

I got my tix thru ticketmaster and they gave me two gift song downloads to iTunes.

I picked Brainerd's Ed Gein for one....any suggestions for the other?

It will be a fun night regardless of the cost or inconvenience. I'm guessing they'll be wheeling Lemmie out in his wheel chair.

Too bad Misfits sans Danzig but it will still be cooler than NOT going to see them.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:05 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:I picked Brainerd's Ed Gein for one....any suggestions for the other?

Su-su-sudio

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:37 pm

Stomach wrote:
Bunny Chow wrote:I picked Brainerd's Ed Gein for one....any suggestions for the other?

Su-su-sudio

I'm trying to buy something local. Anyone know how much the band gets when I buy their song for $.99 on iTunes?

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:42 pm

Bunny Chow wrote:
Stomach wrote:

Su-su-sudio

I'm trying to buy something local. Anyone know how much the band gets when I buy their song for $.99 on iTunes?
In the neighborhood of $.60-.70 on the $1. A lot better ratio than typical in-store physical distribution.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:48 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote:
Yeah $50 is a bit pricey, but then again I can justify paying this much money for utter rock legends who most likely will not be playing shows a decade from now. All that tweek has to catch up with Lemmy one of these days. And the fact I do not have to deal with Chicago’s ridiculous traffic or the shit sound at the Rave in Milwaukee and associated gas expenses, justifies paying $50 for a Motorhead show within walking distance of my apartment. It is totally at the very high end of what I am willing to pay to see a band, but for Motorhead normal rules don’t necessarily apply. For the record I like Motorhead more than the next guy.

I have not bought a ticket yet because I do not think they will sell out the big room at the Orpheum or at least not that far in advance. Does anyone know, can you buy tickets right from the Orpheum box office for the show thereby not giving the pricks at Ticketmaster money? Has anybody tried that?

If you pay cash at the box office you can avoid the service charges. At least that's how it worked for me for the NP/Okkervil River show.

superman
Forum God/Goddess

Postby superman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:00 pm

I guess I'd really only want to see the Misfits with Glenn Danzig, but that's not gonna happen. Oh well.

Return to “Madison Music”