Recording studios

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:28 am

supaunknown wrote:You can't beat that deal with a stick. Not with a stick. A stick-a-woo-woo.

yeah, that's pretty nuts.
Considering you've got Mr. Colsen and Biff there as well helping the students out.

whit

Postby whit » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:11 pm

what do you mean by 'pretty damn cheap'?

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:39 pm

whit wrote:what do you mean by 'pretty damn cheap'?

This man can do it.

madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madt0wn » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:35 am

MMI is great. Until you hear the word 'OOPS' come out of one of the student's mouths. :)

Of course, that's better than paying a guy to say the same thing...

benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:15 am

MMI is great if you can wait 1 year to get the final product.

my band went to http://www.aztecproductions.net/
it was cheap and they do a great job. cool dudes too.

FREE multi tracking software:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/[/url]

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:07 pm

benfury wrote:
my band went to http://www.aztecproductions.net/
it was cheap and they do a great job. cool dudes too.

Yikes

"We also charge 5 producer points on all work intended for public release."

I think I'll pass, especially when one of the engineers seems to refer to himself as Ca$hMoney.

Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby Elliot » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:28 pm

My boy Andy does a good job. http://www.myspace.com/porksound

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:28 pm

juanton wrote:
Yikes

"We also charge 5 producer points on all work intended for public release."

I think I'll pass, especially when one of the engineers seems to refer to himself as Ca$hMoney.

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything, don't want to dis any of the locals, but that's fucking hilarious and ridiculous all at once.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:48 pm

jammybastard wrote:
Yeah, I didn't want to say anything, don't want to dis any of the locals, but that's fucking hilarious and ridiculous all at once.

Yeah, I wasn't really trying to dis anyone. I am just baffled how one could come up with a set "points" charge for all "public release" projects? Surely not all projects are the same and require the exact amount of work.

Voltress
Forum Addict

Recording

Postby Voltress » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:29 pm

We offer cheap recording at The Work Shop. $30 per hour or $275 per day for 12 hours. All analog-16 track one inch with a soundcraft burr brown chip ghost. We have no computers!

Clients include:
hum machine
the kites
the grizzlies
shazy hade
voltress
new recruits
full vinyl treatment
roscoe mitchell

Mike O

Postby Mike O » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:10 am

For those of you running a recording studio, please send me your info so that I can refer people your way. I get a lot of people calling the Madison Music Foundry looking for full recording services and we only provide a studio for bands and engineers to set up their gear (more info on that on our web page: www.madisonmusicfoundry.com )

Please email me at mike@madisonmusicfoundry.com
include studio specs, rates, what music styles you specialize in, availability, etc that I can pass on to people that call us for recording.

I also want to spread the word to engineers that need a facility to work on projects. We would like to create a list of freelance engineers that we can forward work on to, using the studio in the Foundry. We would like to get a list of engineers that can meet different projects needs, especially if you are specialized in certain areas (rock, jazz, hip hop, sampling, digital, analog etc.) This would work much like our music lesson business where we help our instructors find students and they in return rent space from us to do the lessons. Check out our lessons page ( www.lessons.madisonmusicfoundry.com ) we will be creating a page much like this for the recording engineers ( i.e. profile cards for the engineers, scheduling.....)

The goal here is to help musicians find the right fit for their recording style and budget, be it at the Foundry or somewhere else.

thanks
Mike

Bassman

Recording Studios

Postby Bassman » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:10 pm

I've been hearing some cool things about Aztec Productions through the grape vine. Anyone else here ever record there? I looked on their website and didn't see anything about charging points for producer credit or whatever. Where did you guys see that? Anyone have a bad experience there? We're checking out places right now. We're thinking of recording in January.

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:27 pm

benfury wrote:MMI is great if you can wait 1 year to get the final product.

bands can walk with their tracks night of recording (bring your firewire hard drive) or, do one song @ a time and mix it that night. options are endless. 24 track Otari tape machine, Radar, Protools, a world class SSL-4000 desk in A, and in B the Trident console that Appetite for Destruction, a bunch of Dio, Kiss Crazy Nights, Motley Crue's Girls Girls Girls & Smashing Pumpkins Gish (just to name a few) were recorded on. Not to mention the mics. Drawback - it gets booked fast.

Dorothy Heralds have done beds @ MMI and cut vocals at DNA - a very nice choice. I also love Mike Zirkel @ Smart - enough to name a record after him.

rock ON!

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:36 pm

Might as well throw my hat in the ring here.

I've been working out of the Coney Island Studios space as Motorco Studios since this summer. Things are still getting more organized (working the day job and playing gigs makes for some slow-going), but I'm mostly up & running. Motorco has a 2" 16-track Otari MTR90, a Trident Trimix console, and a great live room. So far I've recorded the God Damns Thriller album there, along with some tracks recently for The Hussy and The Facesteak.

Before Motorco I freelanced with a 1/2" 8-track machine in various basements/rooms/unheated sheds, and did recordings for The Motorz, Midwest Beat, Road Agent Spin, The August Teens and The Shabelles.

http://www.myspace.com/motorcostudios

benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Recording Studios

Postby benfury » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:12 pm

Bassman wrote:I've been hearing some cool things about Aztec Productions through the grape vine. Anyone else here ever record there? I looked on their website and didn't see anything about charging points for producer credit or whatever. Where did you guys see that? Anyone have a bad experience there? We're checking out places right now. We're thinking of recording in January.

we went there and it was $40/hour for recording and mixing was free. we ended up paying $450 total and got the songs back in a little over a week.

both of the dudes were really cool to work with and very open to everything we wanted them to do. neither had us call him 'cashmoney'

http://www.myspace.com/garrisonkiller

all the tracks up were recorded at aztek.

we also cracked his toilet and they didnt charge us.

Return to “Madison Music”