what Media source is the biggest help to the Music scene?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Triple M radio
No votes
WORT radio
33%
WSUM radio
9%
WYOU-TV
3%
Isthmus Newspaper
21%
Rick's Cafe Newspaper
24%
Maximum Ink Newspaper
6%
none of the above
3%

Total votes: 33

AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:44 pm

wondering what you guys think? If you had to choose just one media source that is the biggest help to the local music scene, what would you pick?

once upon a time
Forum Addict

Postby once upon a time » Thu Oct 02, 2003 11:02 pm

tough choice, Isthmus does alot, and WORT is awesome. Ricks Cafe might be the newcomer on the block but is the only one completely about local music

regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:23 pm

what about The Onion's AV club? Their reviews page might be all-national, but the Picks section knows as much about local stuff as the Isthmus. It's usually more up my alley, too: it omits most of the pretentious civic center/concerts on the square crap that I won't care about until I'm a 35 year old neo-yuppie sellout whore.

SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Fri Oct 03, 2003 2:33 pm

regnad_kcin wrote:what about The Onion's AV club? Their reviews page might be all-national, but the Picks section knows as much about local stuff as the Isthmus. It's usually more up my alley, too: it omits most of the pretentious civic center/concerts on the square crap that I won't care about until I'm a 35 year old neo-yuppie sellout whore.

I think that alot of the picks in the Onion AV are canned paragraphs that the paper paraphrases and regurgitates anytime a band swings through. Check out the Onion the next time House of Large Sizes comes through. I'd be surprised if their pick started out differently than it usually does ...

"Happy-go-lucky Iowa band HOLS ...."

Yawn.

At least they do cover more local shows than the regular papersexcluding the Isthmus of course .....

Buster
Forum Addict

Postby Buster » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:23 pm

[quote="SIZZAW" ...papersexcluding the Isthmus of course .....[/quote]

Papersexcluding! Whoa! Freud would have a heydey with this one!

SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:48 pm

Buster wrote:Papersexcluding! Whoa! Freud would have a heydey with this one!

It IS Friday, mang. Tell me you aren't thinking about sex!

hehehehehehehehhehee

There's nothing subliminable (Thanks Dubya!) about it..........

regnad_kcin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby regnad_kcin » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:00 pm

True, the AV club's picks are a bit too promo-pack derived. I imagine that's because Stephen Thompson is busy being a dad these days...not much time to catch most of the latest hip bands. Is he the only AV clubber left in Madison, or are there others?

beyonce knows

Postby beyonce knows » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:05 pm

Whoa... summa you think Rick's Cafe helps local musicians? How? By writing shit-ass articles about them that maybe 12 people will read?

I go WORT, because they actually play local bands. But I'm guesing most people still figure out who's playing where every week by reading the Isthmus, which might make it actually the biggest help to the scene.

But Rick's? I'd be more help if I rode my skateboard down State with a megaphone reciting band names. I'd surely reach more peeps.

once upon a time
Forum Addict

Postby once upon a time » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:32 pm

beyonce knows wrote:Whoa... summa you think Rick's Cafe helps local musicians? How? By writing shit-ass articles about them that maybe 12 people will read?.

12 people an hour more like. Rick's has a circulation of 5000 and growing. and the writing is much better than Max Ink and in more detail than Isthmus. I think they all help in various ways, and WORT is a bigtime help too, but even WORT only devotes one 3 hour slot to local music (mainly rock) on Fridays and then occasionally plays local music at other times. Rick's is solely devoted to local music

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:37 pm

I choose "none of the above"

I've never found the media to be particularly useful at all in this regard. I don't listen to the radio, except once in a while when I'm driving - and even then I want to hear music I already like, not attempt to learn to love something new while dodging idiots and getting angered by the Explorer I can't see around - and I tend to only read about bands I already know, since even the greatest writer cannot possibly hope to convey what a band sounds like without resorting to nonsensical comparisons - "experimental thrash-rock meets ska-inflected, trumpet-heavy swing, with a dash of Isley Bros. funk crossed with a heavy dose of Taco campiness" - that ultimately signify nothing. (Other phrases I hate reading in reviews - and are equally meaningless: "If you like band x then you're gonna love...", "...this band is the new x" and "...even if you hated their last album, the new one is...")

The most useful source of information regarding music has always been, for me anyway, listening to my peers (which has come to include this forum - even when I'm being my usual, foul-mouthed, curmudgeonly self, I still enjoy hearing what y'all have to say.) Word of mouth is a "media", ain't it?

AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:42 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Word of mouth is a "media", ain't it?

indeed. it is

beyonce knows

Postby beyonce knows » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:56 pm

once upon a time wrote:Rick's has a circulation of 5000 and growing. and the writing is much better than Max Ink and in more detail than Isthmus.

If by detail you mean clubby intimacy, then I'm with you. But I believe the man asked what media help, and how can Rick's help when it's read pretty much by the people in the scene and almost nobody outside.

And they print 5000 of those mofos? I wonder how many get picked up, 'cuz all I see are stacks of that shit.

bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobbyray » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:03 pm

AJ Love wrote:

indeed. it is

Well, actually it's a medium. Word of mouth and the writing on the wall taken together are a couple o' media. Sorry, I realize this ain't the grammar forum.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:33 pm

bobbyray wrote:
AJ Love wrote:

indeed. it is

Well, actually it's a medium. Word of mouth and the writing on the wall taken together are a couple o' media. Sorry, I realize this ain't the grammar forum.

No apology necessary. This is my kind of snarkiness.
It was a pleasure being corrected by you. :D

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:44 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:...."experimental thrash-rock meets ska-inflected, trumpet-heavy swing, with a dash of Isley Bros. funk crossed with a heavy dose of Taco campiness" -

Woo! That sounds like Something To Do! Oh Wags..... you can sing my name anytime!

rrnt
http://www.somethingtodo.ws

Return to “Madison Music”