Music cliques in madison---too much? what can be done

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Are there too many music cliques in Madison?

yes there are too many music cliques
10
29%
who cares? dude get a life
10
29%
nope, Madison is one big happy family everybody is cool
3
9%
whats a clique?
2
6%
if you try to break down my walls I'm gonna kick your ass, punk...
4
12%
this is the stupidest fucking poll I've ever seen in my life
5
15%
 
Total votes: 34

blunt
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 8246
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2001 6:19 pm
Location: Right behind you.

Postby blunt » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:40 pm

No one has ever really let me into their enclosed little groups so I can even see if they're cliques or not.

princessmidwest
Forum Addict
Posts: 424
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:54 pm
Location: dumfukistan
Contact:

Postby princessmidwest » Thu Oct 02, 2003 6:54 pm

I believe the universal clique-breaker is, nice set, want a shot...oh wait, that only works in the clique I'm in...

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 4:25 pm
Location: cars, bars, farms, stars

Postby Stepbrother » Thu Oct 02, 2003 7:51 pm

cliques are wack. gangs are where it's at.

don't fuck with my gang or your musical career will be found floating face down in Lake Mendota without us laying a finger on you. we have the best made-man you could ever wish you could hire on our side: karma.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 5467
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:05 pm
Location: All Up In Your General Area
Contact:

Postby jammybastard » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:28 pm

Stepbrother wrote:cliques are wack. gangs are where it's at.

don't fuck with my gang or your musical career will be found floating face down in Lake Mendota without us laying a finger on you. we have the best made-man you could ever wish you could hire on our side: karma.


yeah yer only talking smack now that you got Sue working as your enforcer! :cry:

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 4:25 pm
Location: cars, bars, farms, stars

Postby Stepbrother » Thu Oct 02, 2003 8:51 pm

jammybastard wrote:
Stepbrother wrote:cliques are wack. gangs are where it's at.

don't fuck with my gang or your musical career will be found floating face down in Lake Mendota without us laying a finger on you. we have the best made-man you could ever wish you could hire on our side: karma.


yeah yer only talking smack now that you got Sue working as your enforcer! :cry:


Sue is not our enforcer. She is our friend.

not everything is as cut and dry as people think. really.

I'm just talking about karma. It's not just the name of one of our songs. Anytime someone disses our ish, and it gets back to us, we become stronger. We play harder. Write harder. Scratch meaner.

Dissing us just throws another log on the fires in our hearts.
The flames are getting quite high these days. Someday you may see us for miles around as a result.

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed May 22, 2002 4:25 pm
Location: cars, bars, farms, stars

Postby Stepbrother » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:29 pm

and I think the record does show that I've been talking smack for years.
:twisted:

Wesmon
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 953
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2003 2:45 am
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Contact:

Postby Wesmon » Sat Oct 04, 2003 6:57 am

Madison in general is extremely divided into cliques. This is more evident in the bar scene and I guess it would follow, the music scene as well.

Welcome to a college town.

Mikey K
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:17 am
Location: Waaaaaay up north.
Contact:

Postby Mikey K » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:13 am

DrAwkward wrote:If ya think cliques in Madison are bad, you haven't been to Milwaukee lately.


No shiite! MKE is one tough nut to crack. If you arent' in with the 'right' agency and/or you aren't active in WAMI, the door is very tightly shut.

Oh, there's a few venues on the fringes, but they're definately "B" and "C" level joints.

As far as the "Blues Nazi" statement, it made me laugh, but there's also "Original" nazis, "Alternative" nazis, "Cover" nazis, and somewhere, even "Lithuanian Folk Songs on Accordian and Glockenschpiel" nazis.

If everyone would lighten the fuck up and all have one big group hug and sing Kumbay-focking-ya, it'd be a better scene for all.

Adam Sinclair
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2003 3:49 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Postby Adam Sinclair » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:41 am

Mikey K wrote:As far as the "Blues Nazi" statement, it made me laugh, but there's also "Original" nazis, "Alternative" nazis, "Cover" nazis, and somewhere, even "Lithuanian Folk Songs on Accordian and Glockenschpiel" nazis.

If everyone would lighten the fuck up and all have one big group hug and sing Kumbay-focking-ya, it'd be a better scene for all.


But then we'd all be the Kumbay-ya Nazis!
Music is for the People, by the People! WORK!

Mikey K
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:17 am
Location: Waaaaaay up north.
Contact:

Postby Mikey K » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:02 am

Adam Sinclair wrote:
Mikey K wrote:As far as the "Blues Nazi" statement, it made me laugh, but there's also "Original" nazis, "Alternative" nazis, "Cover" nazis, and somewhere, even "Lithuanian Folk Songs on Accordian and Glockenschpiel" nazis.

If everyone would lighten the fuck up and all have one big group hug and sing Kumbay-focking-ya, it'd be a better scene for all.


But then we'd all be the Kumbay-ya Nazis!
Music is for the People, by the People! WORK!
\

COMMIE!

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1236
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2003 4:12 pm

Postby auntgoodness » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:05 pm

Maybe it's 'urban tribes' we should be worried about.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/200 ... usat_x.htm

Scott
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 593
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 4:23 pm
Location: Madisonian transplanted to Waunakee
Contact:

cliques

Postby Scott » Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:23 pm

Madison's music scene has pretty much always been divided up into little cliques, far back as I remember.

When it becomes aproblem- as it has lately- is when a band gets booked not by what they know, but who they know. In other words, it's tough to get anywhere in Madison as a new band if you don't know someone who will give you an opening slot. The established local bands don't call up someone they've never met because they think their bands will sound good together, they call up their friend from down the street who've opened for them millions of times.

It's probably due to convenience more then anything, but still leads to musical inbreeding, stale, rote shows, and someone in another band feeling like they're not part of a clique.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 2925
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2001 4:05 pm
Location: east side of Madison
Contact:

Re: cliques

Postby eriedasch » Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:41 pm

Scott wrote:When it becomes aproblem- as it has lately- is when a band gets booked not by what they know, but who they know. In other words, it's tough to get anywhere in Madison as a new band if you don't know someone who will give you an opening slot. The established local bands don't call up someone they've never met because they think their bands will sound good together, they call up their friend from down the street who've opened for them millions of times.

What do you mean lately? Seems like it's been that way for a long time and not just specific to Madison. It was no different 10+ yrs ago in Minneapolis, St. Paul, & Duluth MN. It was no different in Madison 8 yrs ago. Same goes for Milwaukee.

Now in a somewhat established band I constantly call up (& email) bands I don't know personally to do shows with because they are a good musical match - drawing people out to the show and giving return shows doesn't hurt but certainly not a requirement. Not to say I've never booked a friends band to open, but they have to be proven musically before I consider it.

Mikey K
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:17 am
Location: Waaaaaay up north.
Contact:

Postby Mikey K » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:45 am

Part of the 'who you know' system requires that you know someone...and that's pretty hard if you're a pretentious prick who thinks his ass doesn't stink.

Getting to know other musicians and other bands is really quite fun, and don't limit yourself to genres or styles, either. The majority of people will be friendly and helpful. Those that are pricks, well, they'll dig their own hole. And if you're a prick, you'll dig your own as well.

Get out and meet some folks on those nights you're not playing out, and what from the outside can be perceived as a 'clique' really might be more of a 'brotherhood of people with music being the common thread'. Or, it might be a clique of pricks...that's for you to find out, I guess.

Mikey K
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:17 am
Location: Waaaaaay up north.
Contact:

Postby Mikey K » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:49 am

blunt wrote:No one has ever really let me into their enclosed little groups so I can even see if they're cliques or not.


What about partially-enclosed groups with a screened veranda and sort of a little grape-arbor roof?


Return to “Madison Music”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests