Letters, Albertoni and me

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
D.Zero

Letters, Albertoni and me

Postby D.Zero » Fri May 18, 2007 10:46 am

I'm afraid my original letter to Isthmus regarding Mr. Albertoni's column's in the April 16th issue was so poorly edited for print some of my original purpose for writing it was loss. The "out-of-date press release" was in reference to the Exene Cervenka column, not the piano guy. Anyone who has even dabbled their toe in the indie music scene knows the generic formatting of those releases. When you combine that with painfully obvious wrong facts you can tell somebody was not even trying. The juxtaposition of that with the story of the piano guy seemed more like a slap in the face for some local musicians who have started to see their hard work pay off.

In regards to Mr. Albertoni's reply, he proves that he's missing the point. I'm not saying that the piano guy isn't "worthy of a story". I'm saying Mr. Albertoni's priorities as local music reporter seem misguided.

Just thought I would carify. Thanks for your time.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri May 18, 2007 2:30 pm

In keeping with my continuing attempts to alienate myself with the Isthmus staff:

Albertoni is a hack.
Has no idea of the history of the local scene nor the major/minor players.
Thus, the gaffs and ignorance.
(Notice how his shallow top ten MAMA kissfest turned into something more relevant this issue, though obviously a shallow overview of the discussion on DP?)
The Isthmus has been steadily losing credibilty with the youth, the in-crowd, and thus lucrative advertisers while the Onion continues to step up and become more informative and useful.
The Daily Page is much more indicative of the fountain of present gushing reality and should be mined for writers and article ideas.
(The Onion and WSJ are borrowing more meaningful content from the DP than the DP's parent!)

Vog

Postby Vog » Thu May 24, 2007 8:11 pm

blunt wrote:....Has no idea of the history of the local scene nor the major/minor players.
Thus, the gaffs and ignorance.

This sums it up for most of the current batch of local music scribes, in all the print media, Onion excepted. History is bunk.

But, remember that one woman who wrote for Madison Newspapers a few years ago, whose name escapes me? Pee-yew, completely lame reporting, straight from the press kits. She makes the current crop look good by comparison.

benfury
Forum God/Goddess

Postby benfury » Wed May 30, 2007 12:23 pm

remeber when albertoni wrote that story on meirda verde (the punk space on the south side)? he sited myspace at least 3 times.

i agree with blunt

rich albertoni = hack

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Wed May 30, 2007 1:12 pm

I prefer Rich Albertoni=narc

and

Isthmus music writers=entirely clueless about the Madison punk scene

Frank Booth
Forum Addict

Postby Frank Booth » Wed May 30, 2007 1:19 pm

For my money, the most entertaining music writer in Madison was the girl from Max Ink who was totally into the backstage party scene.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Thu May 31, 2007 11:15 am

Frank Booth wrote:For my money, the most entertaining music writer in Madison was the girl from Max Ink who was totally into the backstage party scene.

If she could ever actually make it backstage.
A lot of consolation partying with roadies and opening bands.

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Thu May 31, 2007 12:27 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote:Isthmus music writers=entirely clueless about the Madison punk scene

Jake, are you referring strictly to the hardcore circuit, or the madison DIY scene in general? If the latter, I would have to disagree.
Last edited by supereightsnate on Thu May 31, 2007 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Thu May 31, 2007 12:33 pm

Frank Booth wrote:For my money, the most entertaining music writer in Madison was the girl from Max Ink who was totally into the backstage party scene.

the icing on the cake for me was always that 'access' was forever misspelled 'ACESS' in the column header.

gave the whole thing more legitimacy to me.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Thu May 31, 2007 1:33 pm

supereightsnate wrote:
charliedon'tsurf wrote:Isthmus music writers=entirely clueless about the Madison punk scene

Jake, are you referring strictly to the hardcore circuit, or the madison DIY scene in general? If the latter, I would have to disagree.

I think he means "punk", as in bands that don't play the Willy St. corridor, ie; Mickey's or the Crystal.

Isthmus covers the downtown "DIY" clique no problem, just not much else. If anything they are guilty of covering it too much, but that's who they know and what's most easily accessible.
Plus it's part of their target demo.
I'd argue that there's a tendency for flash over substance but in the end that's what moves papers.

As for Jake's labelling Albertoni a "narc" I'd have to agree. I don't think the people in that part of the "scene" will ever forgive or forget his actions last year or the Isthmus's defending his words by claiming it wa a "public" safety issue.

Just my .02USD.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Thu May 31, 2007 3:12 pm

supereightsnate wrote:

I am referring to the bands that are involved with the national DIY punk circuit (some melodic, some hardcore) and tend to play less bar shows in favor of all ages basement shows which the Isthmus writers are entirely out of touch with. Has an Isthmus writer even attended a show like that this century besides the fateful night when Rich Albertoni “snuckâ€Â

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Thu May 31, 2007 3:52 pm

I appreciate the clarification. Grey areas that stick out to me are things like the now defunct Catacombs; I don't seem to recall if they did or did not get much isthmus press.

Things that do stick out as "punky" that have gotten good press has been the Vid Libert project, which got a great review from Laskin, and Vid definitely is involved in the vegan potluck/basement show/park street warehouse scene.

I feel like Sleeping in the Aviary, while touring the bar scene now, definitely paid their dues to the Owl Sanctuary type of places.

I think the isthmus will have a hard time getting press to bands/artists that are involved in scenes that, to a certain extent, navigate a cultural infrastructure that is underground by design. These bands and artist will gain press only if they very actively seek it out.

Places that I see as in need of some good press are grey-area venues like the glass nickel basement. Sure, it's technically a bar, but it not only resembles in many ways a DIY space, but the booking itself is a bit more on the fringe side, with alot of great queercore(for lack of a better term) shows going on there.

I have been surprised there has never been a big story on Crustacean. When I think about groups of folks that have putting together shows and relases for years in the punk/indie scene, I always think Crustacean and Sector5.

eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eurotic » Thu May 31, 2007 4:17 pm

/begin rant

I think the press in Madison neglects a LOT of the DIY scene for ALL genres in some capacity. I've been booking industrial/electronic shows for over 5 years and they barely get "picks" in any of the papers or reviews. Hell, The Onion hasn't mentioned any of my shows for fucking years. Then again, they also have a shit-tastic AV Section now anyway, but I guess at least Faghat GOT some press, regardless of the level of brainpower behind the interviewer's questions.

But y'know what? It's "DIY" and "underground" for a reason. I've gotten some nice nods from The Isthmus for the Reverence Festival and some nice reviews as well (from both Laskin AND Rich Albertoni-- both of which are really nice guys), but overall if you're looking for someone to cover your little basement show you're shit out of luck. Show me a scene where the "big" press DOES cover that stuff.

I've known Rich Albertoni for a few years now, hell, I was one of the people who asked him not to report on Mierde Verde, but I can easily attest that he tries to do his homework and is a really good guy with noble intentions. Do I always agree with everything he says? Nope. But I've enjoyed stuff he's written and he's covered a lot of the odd cross-sections of music here in town and I respect that.

I'm just saying that if you don't like it then DIY-- submit shit to the papers you wish covered your stories. That's what people like the Rick's Cafe crew did (blunt, tim, and sean bunny being my favorites). I get pissed that little shows (esp mine with Caustic) don't get more press occasionally, but if I wanted more press I'd either try harder or become an indie rock band and put a "The" in front of my name. Fuck it, I play out and do shows all over the country and can barely get a fucking mention in any of the papers here, but whatever. I do it for the people that like my music and know how to market to those people. I don't necessarily NEED the newspapers, although it's always nice to get recognized for an event.

Like someone else mentioned, the demographic for most of the papers here isn't quite the "going out on a Weds to a show" crowd. Sure, they go to the MAMAs and dress like middle-aged rockstars and PRETEND they're all about the music here, but they aren't. People on HERE are. People out at Glass Nickel on a Tues night are. People who stay at the High Noon PAST 8PM are. But not everyone, and certainly not a large chunk of the "progressive" Isthmus readership.

I'd rather do what I do and hold my ground than bitch about someone writing on a deadline who may not be immersed in whatever the niche genre they're trying to give some press to. They're not going to always get everything right, but if you don't like it get in there yourself and do better.

Then people can bitch about you, too. And they will.

/end rant
Last edited by eurotic on Thu May 31, 2007 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Thu May 31, 2007 5:13 pm

eurotic wrote:/begin rant

Hell, The Onion hasn't mentioned any of my shows for fucking years. Then again, they also have a shit-tastic AV Section now anywai, but I guess at least Faghat GOT some press, regardless of the level of brainpower behind the interviewer's questions.

Seems like the Onion AV increased their local coverage by about 400%. The other weekend I got ridiculous amount of press(for a show at a DIY art space), the Motorz got a ton the other week, and then a couple weeks ago they had that "art of the opening band" article with little spots mentioned a whole string of locals. This week they have a page about that Antelopes project, which I know involved some great DIY print production with Sam Johnson/Firecracker doing a ton of hand screenprinted record covers. I'm really thankful the Onion decided to put folks specifically on the local Madison, WI beat.

eurotic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eurotic » Thu May 31, 2007 5:16 pm

supereightsnate wrote:
eurotic wrote:/begin rant

Hell, The Onion hasn't mentioned any of my shows for fucking years. Then again, they also have a shit-tastic AV Section now anywai, but I guess at least Faghat GOT some press, regardless of the level of brainpower behind the interviewer's questions.

Seems like the Onion AV increased their local coverage by about 400%. The other weekend I got ridiculous amount of press(for a show at a DIY art space), the Motorz got a ton the other week, and then a couple weeks ago they had that "art of the opening band" article with little spots mentioned a whole string of locals. This week they have a page about that Antelopes project, which I know involved some great DIY print production with Sam Johnson/Firecracker doing a ton of hand screenprinted record covers. I'm really thankful the Onion decided to put folks specifically on the local Madison, WI beat.

That's the ONLY good thing that's happened in the AV section-- the interviews are shorter (or refer you to the website for "more"), The Hater is a pretentious pile of shit, the reviews are meh overall, and the food stuff is mildly retarded at best.

I should have been more specific that I meant the OVERALL quality. I do like that they're FINALLY giving some props to local bands.
Last edited by eurotic on Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Madison Music”