Majestic and Club One-Eleven licenses approved

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Majestic and Club One-Eleven licenses approved

Postby Jesse Russell » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:38 pm

Alcohol Licenses approved for Majestic Theatre and Club One-Eleven

The Madison Alcohol License Review Committee has just approved the alcohol license for the new owners of the Majestic Theatre. Earlier in the evening they approved the license for Club One-Eleven which will occupy the former Que Sera space at 111 W. Main Street. Both venues saw a large amount of community support rally behind them. One-Eleven will be operated by Glenn Jahns of the Shamrock and will, for the time being, only occupy the first two floors of the three floor venue. Each floor will have a 99 person capacity. The Majestic was approved for a capacity of 600.

bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobbyray » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:53 am

I'm so glad to hear that somebody's setting up shop in the Que Sera space. Unbelievable how long it's been empty.

Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Postby Jesse Russell » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:36 am

bobbyray wrote:I'm so glad to hear that somebody's setting up shop in the Que Sera space. Unbelievable how long it's been empty.

Sounds like he has a solid plan. The first two floors will be less bar and more lounge. The city needs to reevaluate the third floor capacity and once they do, and if it is approved, he will open it as a dance floor. I don't have my notes with me, but I think he was pushing for a 160 capacity on the top floor.

zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zsa zsa » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:42 am

I'm surprised at the capacity, that place seems so big.

bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobbyray » Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:48 am

I'll always have warm fuzzy spot for that space. Back when I was with Yid Vicious in its early days, we did our first CD release event at Que Sera. That was in '98.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:10 pm

Jesse Russell wrote:Sounds like he has a solid plan. The first two floors will be less bar and more lounge. The city needs to reevaluate the third floor capacity and once they do, and if it is approved, he will open it as a dance floor. I don't have my notes with me, but I think he was pushing for a 160 capacity on the top floor.

Live music?

white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:45 pm

Stomach wrote:
Jesse Russell wrote:Sounds like he has a solid plan. The first two floors will be less bar and more lounge. The city needs to reevaluate the third floor capacity and once they do, and if it is approved, he will open it as a dance floor. I don't have my notes with me, but I think he was pushing for a 160 capacity on the top floor.

Live music?

I wouldn't be surprised if Glenn occassionally has live music in the new venue, like he currently does at the Shamrock, but I'm pretty sure it is intended to be primarily a dance club sort of venue with DJs.

square
Forum Addict

Postby square » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:06 pm

i heard the issue with that space was primarily the unusable kitchen equipment in the basement that would need to be taken out.

Jesse Russell
Forum Addict

Postby Jesse Russell » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:43 pm

zsa zsa wrote:I'm surprised at the capacity, that place seems so big.

Glenn personally chose to limit the capacity in order to get it through. From what I understand the capacity is actually something like 700. The Capitol Neighborhood Association had serious concerns over what the venue would add to the street capacity combined with all of the other bars on the street.

zsa zsa
Forum God/Goddess

Postby zsa zsa » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:00 pm

makes sense.

hollywood

Postby hollywood » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:11 pm

GMW - These 3 letters could still be seen on the doorway to Que Sera till recently.

Does anyone else remember "Going My Way" in the Que Sera space in the late 70's-early eighties? Great dance floor upstairs(but useally bad DJ's, unless you still liked disco at the time), and a gay womens bar and gay mens bar on the other floors.

see someones history of clubbing there:
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/theatre_journal/v055/55.3roman02.html
Looking forward to the Majestic live music

Return to “Madison Music”