i need a band for this saturday at king club

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:37 pm

bobhemauer wrote:Plus, a lot of times, bands (for whatever reason) stop playing well before bar time. What happens? Everyone leaves. I've seen it happen time and again in the months I've been working there. For a club that's only open 9-2 most nights (and for bartenders who have only a couple of good nights a week at most), that's a serious financial hamstring.

The KC really needs a house DJ. Someone there every night there are bands to play before the bands, in-between, and after the bands. I bet you could find someone you could pay $50 a night for 5 hours work. The other night of the nervous system show, as you know, all it tooks was a kick ass dance mix to keep people dancing till it was time to kick people out. The question then would be where to pull the moneu to pay the DJ: the door, or the bar? But, ideally, every night would be 3 bands and a DJ.

on a totally different note, Bob, can you drop me a line with a current email? got some art stuff to talk to you about. smeltz76@yahoo.com

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:58 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Kyle, have you ever BEEN to Sixth Street?

There are many Sixth Streets, I'm sure I've been to a few.

If you're referring to the discussion over here, where you piss all over an idea that could be a positive thing for Madison music, then we can discuss it over there and not waste time in the wrong thread. To save a minute, I agree that no one should be making big talk about a midwest SXSW in Madison, but that doesn't mean something positive of a more realistic scale can't be accomplished.

If that's not what you're getting at, then you are not making any sense to me, which wouldn't be anything new.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:53 pm

Yeah OK, I'll spell it out:

1. The Sixth St. I refer to is the one in Austin. It's the one with dozens of live music clubs, all in a row, most very successful.
2. It is problematic to build a scene like that in Madison when clubs keep closing and the really good ones, like The King Club, have significant business challenges as outlined in this thread.
3. There is a disconnect between 1 and 2 if you are to build the "Austin of the North." (Your mind needs to reference the contents of multiple threads in order to draw this conclusion).

Yes, I'm being an asshole. But it's frustrating to read about grand visions of the Majestic in one thread and the logic behind regrettably higher drink prices across the street in another thread inside of a week.

I will endeavor not to snarkily point these things out in the future, because in the end you're right: it's our scene, and we should stay positive and build whatever we can.

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:59 pm

I've always loved the King Club, and The Chamber before it. I know many people here preferred O'Cayz, but I saw some of my fave Madison local shows at The Chamber. Felt like I lost my local music cherry there, and did a very memorable interview with RPO in the basement for Night Sights and Sounds.

Tristan has a real job, and running the KC was his way of doing something nice for the local music scene when it needed a good venue. It would really be a shame if they shut it down, espec. now that Bob is there.
Tristan has always supported my band, and we're looking forward to playing there again soon regardless of it's status.

bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobbyray » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:09 pm

Maybe there have been other threads where this has already been hashed to death, but I just don't get the whole "downtown can't support a small music club" business. It wasn't all that long ago that there were two thriving clubs downtown, and they would probably both still be thriving if they hadn't combusted. And not that long before that, there were three if you count the Chamber, though that was before I arrived in Madison, and I don't know what the circumstances of its demise were. (I do have great memories of my first Madison club gig at the Chamber when I still lived in Chicago.) So what has changed so much in the last decade? Is it mainly about higher rent? Is it mainly about competition from other kinds of entertainment? Sure, both of those things factor in, but it just doesn't make sense to me that a city of a quarter of a million people, many of them young single adults with disposable $$ in their pockets and few responsibilities, can't support a goodly handful of live music venues of various sizes within a few blocks of downtown. Something else is at work here. What am I missing?

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:37 pm

bobbyray wrote:...if you count the Chamber, though that was before I arrived in Madison, and I don't know what the circumstances of its demise were. (I do have great memories of my first Madison club gig at the Chamber when I still lived in Chicago.) ...

First off, I loved your show at The Chamber. I still have the poster!

As far as I know, Ken decided to move to Colorado b/c he had a business opportunity. I sure miss him and his club. It was the first place that gave us a chance and he really booked great shows.

I think the reason people think that music clubs won't work downtown is the noise. It is harder and harder to find places without neighbors close by.

sule
Forum Addict

Postby sule » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:23 pm

found a band. thanks to everyone who replied.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:35 pm

Only in Madison do people complain about $2.50 PBRs and $3.50 rails. That might mean a whopping $20 to see a night of music with a few drinks!

The King Club is a great room within walking distance of the dorms and the near east side. There's also plentiful and cheap parking, great restaurants and, well, the GEF buildings. That place should be the clubhouse for the local scene.

People need to understand that paying rent on King St. isn't the same as Park St., or even Willy St.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:16 am

jjoyce wrote:People need to understand that paying rent on King St. isn't the same as Park St., or even Willy St.

Very true. Bob probably costs more up there, too.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:16 pm

jhain wrote:
bobbyray wrote:...if you count the Chamber, though that was before I arrived in Madison, and I don't know what the circumstances of its demise were. (I do have great memories of my first Madison club gig at the Chamber when I still lived in Chicago.) ...

First off, I loved your show at The Chamber. I still have the poster!

As far as I know, Ken decided to move to Colorado b/c he had a business opportunity. I sure miss him and his club. It was the first place that gave us a chance and he really booked great shows.

bobbyray, what was the name of the group you were in back then?

Ken was super nice. The bands I was in during that punky/funky/stunky era of Madison music were kinda anti-social (we hated everybody) and weren't part of the 'in crowd'. Ken always seemed to understand what we were goin' for and booked us on some great bills even though we couldn't draw flies. Never forget him for that.

jjoyce wrote:Only in Madison do people complain about $2.50 PBRs and $3.50 rails. That might mean a whopping $20 to see a night of music with a few drinks!

People need to understand that paying rent on King St. isn't the same as Park St., or even Willy St.

By 'people' you mean me, right? That's cool. I'm not oblivious to the challenges they face as a business. I'm merely an opinionated consumer who calls it like I see it. Through the years I've played there when it's been The King Club, The Chamber and even Inn Cahoots. It's not a boutique martini bar, it's not a brew pub, it's not a restaurant nor a happy hour neighborhood meetup. If you've ever used the bathroom there you'd know it's not an upscale establishment. What that bar is and what it'll always be is a dive. There are certain elements to a successful dive bar that I think the King Club needs to implement and embrace.
Last edited by supaunknown on Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:21 pm

supaunknown wrote:Ken was super nice. The bands I was in during that punky/funky/stunky era of Madison music were kinda anti-social (we hated everybody) and weren't part of the 'in crowd'. Ken always seemed to understand what we were goin' for and booked us on some great bills even though we couldn't draw flies. Never forget him for that.

That's what I liked about Ken. Even though my band at the time was not popular he seemed to understand what we were going for and always had great bills for us.

Bobbyray played in Maestro Subgum & The Whole, one of Chicago's finest.

bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobbyray » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:21 pm

supaunknown wrote:bobbyray, what was the name of the group you were in back then?

Maestro Subgum and the Whole

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:28 pm

jjoyce wrote:Only in Madison do people complain about $2.50 PBRs and $3.50 rails. That might mean a whopping $20 to see a night of music with a few drinks!

Ha, you make a good point. When i was texting my friend in Philly during the Sebadoh show at Shank Hall and bitching that they charge $3.75 for a High Life in a plastic cup, her response was "fuck you. Just fuck you. You can get a beer for less than $5?"

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:50 pm

DrAwkward wrote:

Ha, you make a good point. When i was texting my friend in Philly during the Sebadoh show at Shank Hall and bitching that they charge $3.75 for a High Life in a plastic cup, her response was "fuck you. Just fuck you. You can get a beer for less than $5?"

Your Philly friend may have a point but fuck Shank Hall anyway.

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:17 pm

Stomach wrote:Your Philly friend may have a point but fuck Shank Hall anyway.

Well, yes, agreed 100% on all fronts. I'm just glad i got into the show as a +1 on my friend's guest list spot. I love you Sebadoh, but not as much as i love Shank not getting my money.

Return to “Madison Music”