Lack Of Milwaukee Bands In Madison

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:07 am

aaronetc wrote: Definitely they identify with the dirtiness of the Riverwest scene, and I think see Madison as somehow more fey in general than, say, Onopa.

For the record, this Riverwester would like to point out that Onopa/Stonefly is some FEY ASSED BULLSHIT. When whatshername bought the place and turned it into Stonefly it commenced to suck hard.

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:12 am

Jesse Russell wrote:I'm glad this discussion is taking place because I've actually been looking at setting up monthly show trades. I have a potential Madison venue that could host it, but I'm having problems finding a sister venue in Milwaukee. the goal would be to get out of the basements - not that there is anything wrong with the basements.

I'm also trying to figure out if it would be best to go 2MKE/2MSN bands or 2MSN/1MKE when in Madison and 2MKE/1MSN when in Milwaukee.

Are three bands better than four?

1) I would suggest Linneman's in Riverwest or Points East Pub, which is off Van Buren between Riverwest and downtown. Pretty easy to book either one.

2) I'd suggest sticking with the three band bills if you can, unless the club specifies they want another. Hell, if you can make it 3MKE/1MAD in MKE and 3MAD/1MKE in Madison, that might even work better.

I have learned over the years that one thing is true in both cities--the vast majority of live music patrons will typically only go to shows their friends are playing. Sucks, but it's (with occasional exceptions) the truth.

aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:18 am

DrAwkward wrote:For the record, this Riverwester would like to point out that Onopa/Stonefly is some FEY ASSED BULLSHIT. When whatshername bought the place and turned it into Stonefly it commenced to suck hard.

This is what I'm saying. The Riverwest scenesters seem to feel that their lives have some blue-collar authenticity to them that Madison lacks, or fakes. My understanding is that they're now being eclipsed in this tendency by an even more annoying "Bayview Crew," however.

Jesse Russell wrote:Are three bands better than four?

Yes, but I'm an old man who can no longer handle staying out until 2:00 unless I'm so drunk that I can't pay attention to what's going on around me, in which case why be at a show in the first place?[/quote]

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:24 pm

aaronetc wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:For the record, this Riverwester would like to point out that Onopa/Stonefly is some FEY ASSED BULLSHIT. When whatshername bought the place and turned it into Stonefly it commenced to suck hard.

This is what I'm saying. The Riverwest scenesters seem to feel that their lives have some blue-collar authenticity to them that Madison lacks, or fakes. My understanding is that they're now being eclipsed in this tendency by an even more annoying "Bayview Crew," however.

"Blue collar authenticity" has nothing to do with why Onopa/Stonefly sucks. It has more to do with shitty sound, a badly set up room, microbrews that taste like ass, and other such crimes.

aaronetc
Forum Addict

Postby aaronetc » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:13 pm

DrAwkward wrote:"Blue collar authenticity" has nothing to do with why Onopa/Stonefly sucks. It has more to do with shitty sound, a badly set up room, microbrews that taste like ass, and other such crimes.

To be clear, I don't think Onopa has any authenticity of any kind, but that the hipsters who frequent it believe themselves to be more "real" than those in Madison.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:18 pm

DrAwkward wrote:make sure they have some solid-drawing locals on the bill, and make sure those locals play AFTER the Milwaukee bands.

Maybe it's unrealistic to expect an out of town band (that isn't on a national tour) to play a full-length headlining set, but sometimes thats what I'd prefer to see. It's stupid that people only go out to see bands that they're overly familiar with, but I guess none of us can change that.

I'm surprised that some more well-established musicians, or those synonymous with Milwaukee don't tour more and/or play Madison.
King Solomon and Greg Koch (w/ the tone controls) for example. And 'Siggy' (Sigmund Snopek III) doesn't play outside the Milwaukee area.

aaronetc wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:"Blue collar authenticity" has nothing to do with why Onopa/Stonefly sucks. It has more to do with shitty sound, a badly set up room, microbrews that taste like ass, and other such crimes.

To be clear, I don't think Onopa has any authenticity of any kind, but that the hipsters who frequent it believe themselves to be more "real" than those in Madison.

You're focusing in on an issue much larger and not specific to the music scene. Please, let's not turn this thread into a 'Milwaukee Vs. Madison' thing.
Last edited by MadMind on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:44 pm

MadMind wrote:Maybe it's unrealistic to expect an out of town band (that isn't on a national tour) to play a full-length headlining set, but sometimes thats what I'd prefer to see.

Not unrealistic at all. I have booked numerous Milwaukee bands at Mr. Roberts to play the entire nite, although we may be talking different musical genres here.

MadMind, why don't you tell us the name of the band you want to see so those interested can check them out and see if they are worthy of booking?

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:25 pm

It'd be cool if they occasionally had a 'Milwaukee Showcase' (local bands of similar genre from Milwaukee, or other cities) in Madison, just as there should be a Madison Showcase in Milwaukee every once in a while.
It'd give those unfamiliar a chance to see what other cities are pumping out, those who once lived in that other city a chance to hear favorites, and local musicians to hear and attempt to partner up with bands that they like for intercity shows.

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:33 am

hmmm i see random bands from milwaukee and nearabouts playing shows here fairly often.

i really like Snooky from kenosha? (EDIT: RACINE.) i think.
they play with acf sometimes around deez parts.
kinda metal, kinda emo, without being either.
lots of jazzy influences.
www.myspace.com/snookytv

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:16 pm

Stepbrother wrote:hmmm i see random bands from milwaukee and nearabouts playing shows here fairly often.

i really like Snooky from kenosha? (EDIT: RACINE.) i think.
they play with acf sometimes around deez parts.
kinda metal, kinda emo, without being either.
lots of jazzy influences.
www.myspace.com/snookytv

That's actually who I was referencing as an example in my initial post. They are a bit hard to define. One show they're opening for Potter's Field the next they're opening for Awesome Car Funmaker.
Closest they could get to Madison this time around was Janesville. They have new material and no where in Madison to play (since Trevor, Jameson, and the lead singer of Potter's Field dropped out).
Last edited by MadMind on Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:38 pm

oh word? i love those guys, i'd even drop the cd i have of theirs to anyone who can book them in town because i think they're fucking great!

superman
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lack Of Milwaukee Bands In Madison

Postby superman » Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:56 am

MadMind wrote:Where's the support? Where's the camaraderie?

Where's the people coming out to see live music?

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lack Of Milwaukee Bands In Madison

Postby MadMind » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:23 pm

superman wrote:
MadMind wrote:Where's the support? Where's the camaraderie?

Where's the people coming out to see live music?

Oh please you mofo'n whiner. Get over yourself.
One could easily turn that argument around and say, where's the bands worth seeing? So save your bitchin' for another thread cry baby.

Ok, now that I have that out of my system. I can sympathize. But it is what it is I guess. And that discussion has been done to death and doesn't belong under this thread.

MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:31 pm

Speaking of getting off topic, let me put something out there.
Now, this may be stretching it a bit, but I've noticed a contrast between Madison bands and Milwaukee/Southeastern WI bands, namely younger, rock/alt/indie bands (lyrically, the difference between Madison & Milwaukee hip-hop is probably obvious).

Without taking lyrics into account, the sounds from Milwaukee/Southeastern WI seem to convey that of conflict, struggle and strife - sounds of non-complacency, moreso than the majority of sounds/vibe emenating from Madison bands.

Is this a reflection of both respective environments?
Has anyone else felt this? Or am I off my rocker and just projecting?

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Sun Apr 08, 2007 11:41 pm

MadMind wrote:Without taking lyrics into account, the sounds from Milwaukee/Southeastern WI seem to convey that of conflict, struggle and strife - sounds of non-complacency, moreso than the majority of sounds/vibe emenating from Madison bands.

Huh?

Honestly not trying to be a dick or anything, but could you elaborate?

Being in Milwaukee, i could produce a pretty healthy list of Milwaukee bands who sound "complacent" to my ears, but i won't name names. But i'm not sure if i'm following what you mean. Do you mean the music in Milwaukee sounds maybe more "adventurous" than what you've heard in Madison? If that's what you're implying, i don't think that's a geographic thing. I'd say 95% of bands everywhere sound complacent.

Return to “Madison Music”