weird gigs

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:43 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
Chuck_Schick wrote: I was so hung-over the next day I let Shinky drive my car home.

On the highway!!?!
Egad, man!

S'what I'm sayin' ...

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Re: weird gigs

Postby DrAwkward » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:45 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:My first Madison band played a gig at the Old Miami in Detroit. The neighborhood was the biggest shithole I've ever seen and the bar was a hangout for Vietnam vets--which was a good thing because it was the only safe haven in the area. That was the only gig I've ever played that provided gated, locked parking for our van--and a good thing too. We weren't told ahead of time that we needed to provide our own door guy, so somebody from the other band worked door for us (and ripped us off, I think). Bort worked door for them, gave a homeless guy a buck and got a hug in return ... and the worst cold of his life, he claims. Claims he could feel himself getting infected on the spot.

The Old Miami! Awesome! We played there a few years ago with another old Green Bay band called Death & Taxes. It wasn't a very memorable show except for the fact that it was a dive in the middle of a nasty part of town.

eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:50 am

waylan wrote:I'm looking forward to this upcoming Hometown Sweethearts gig in Oshkosh on April 21st. It's a clown party. I guess every year 150 peoples dress up like clowns and go bar hopping, with an end of the night spot, which we'll be providing the music for.

Can't wait.

That's a great gig and the organizers are very good people. Hopefully you are the only band. Last year they had a local band open for us that drove everyone away. And watch out for drunk clowns trying to get up on stage and play congas.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Re: weird gigs

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:51 am

Chuck_Schick wrote:Claims he could feel himself getting infected on the spot.

Bort has made this claim for years that he can actually feel a cold or virus the moment it's transferred into his body. Insta-cold.

Here, let me sterilize that for you.
*flicks Bic*

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:52 am

supaunknown wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:-The "HiFi gets thrown off the stage at The Klinic by Sticha Bros. while the German Art Students laugh their asses off" story

I'd love to hear more details about all these shows.

Perhaps a little later i'll relate some of the others, but if you want to read about the time we got thrown off the stage at the Klinic, you can read our bassist's version of the story here:

http://community.livejournal.com/thehifi/20173.html

And my supplemental here:

http://community.livejournal.com/thehifi/20500.html

Aaaaaand our friend Ryan's take on it, as he was along for the ride:

http://rebelsound.livejournal.com/8393.html

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:52 am

DrAwkward wrote:
supaunknown wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:-The "HiFi gets thrown off the stage at The Klinic by Sticha Bros. while the German Art Students laugh their asses off" story

Perhaps a little later i'll relate some of the others, but if you want to read about the time we got thrown off the stage at the Klinic, you can read our bassist's version of the story here:

I have to say I'm very disappointed--that was not nearly punk rock enough. Guy asked you to turn down, you turned down, he unplugged you anyway.

Has that not happened to ANY rock band, ever? & That should be like 1 of every 2 gigs for any punk band.

You guys are soft. SOFT!

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:02 pm

GOD, fine, i'll tell the "banned from Milwaukee" story next...

I would like to point out that as the drummer, i did not turn down or back off one iota.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:21 pm

Playing a dive in Chicago called Mongo's. A bachelorette party came in, and brought along an anatomically-correct male blow-up doll. By the last set everyone was completely trashed, and the doll wound up in the middle of the dance floor right in front of the stage with his pecker pointing at the ceiling. Some members of the party started fellating the doll, and then one of them whipped off her panties and went for a ride...

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:31 pm

One time, my friend's band played some dive near Janesville and went to a strip bar before their set. One of the strippers reportedly loved their heavy metal hair and rock attitude. She took the bassist's beer bottle and put it somewhere warm ...

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:58 pm

supaunknown wrote:She took the bassist's beer bottle and put it somewhere warm ...

The exhaust manifold on the band van???

patkeenan123

Postby patkeenan123 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:31 pm

March, 2006
Klas Restaurant - a Czech bier hall/family restaurant in Cicero, IL. The Methadones, The Dials, The Phenoms, Siderunners, and Dolt 45. 5 bands - great show in a very old world restaurant setting. Absolutely great!

Cooltapes
Forum Addict

Postby Cooltapes » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:39 pm

christopher_robin wrote:
DrAwkward wrote:
supaunknown wrote:

I have to say I'm very disappointed--that was not nearly punk rock enough. Guy asked you to turn down, you turned down, he unplugged you anyway.

Has that not happened to ANY rock band, ever? & That should be like 1 of every 2 gigs for any punk band.

You guys are soft. SOFT!

I find the most punk thing you can do in those situations is to turn the amps OFF and play as fucking quietly as you can. This happened when my band Sawhorse was playing at a coffeehouse in Spring Green- I was barely touching the drums with brushes and Brian went into William Shatner mode. I find it makes everyone a lot more uncomfortable. Actually I'll include that and another time when my band Country/City was playing at Glass Nickel to about 30 people, mostly friends, and we were playing our what people called "chamber music" so quietly that the bar was silent except for the quiet music- in a bar at 9PM- as honorable mentions for my "weirdest gig ever."

bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobbyray » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:57 pm

My weirdest gig, possibly: Klezmer funeral procession at the funeral of a certain local, recently departed experimental theater impresario.

Cooltapes
Forum Addict

Postby Cooltapes » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:00 pm

supaunknown wrote:
Cooltapes wrote:2. A show put on by Art Paul Schlosser at OK's (1998), actually a great show, he was a good MC and was branching out into keyboards at the time.

What was the name of the group you were in?
I don't suppose you remember who else played that night? See, our first DIGIBOT gig at O'Cayz was around then and was mc'd by Art Paul. Wormbot filled in on guitar for us that night cuz T-Bot had eaten a bad Slim Jim that day that'd been wedged underneath his hot car seat for who knows how long ...

Boy that was almost 10 years ago, but I remember some things...
I got invited to play this show by this guy we referred to as Extendojoe, because at a gig we played with him he was craning his neck to sing into a mike which had slumped to about 2 ft. tall. His real name is Joe Sure, and I'm not sure if he's even alive, haven't seen him in years- he's a wandering minstrel. Joe invited me to play with his band "Colorful Psychosis" that night even though i didn't know any of the songs. I believe the show started off with Maniacally Grinning Mandolin Lady; she really set the mood. I think Digibot played next. I sort of cued off the hand drummer and I thought we sounded good for not having much of a clue. I think the drumset I played on belonged to this guy named Tad, who played in a math rock band I think- can't remember the name (or was that Digibot?) I remember our band had this burnout hippy guy with a mustache on harmonica, I think- and a banjo player. On the recording of our set, during the song "Loner," someone in the crowd starts freestyle rapping, it's pretty hot. The master of ceremonies, Art Paul, gave a good set. It was just a showcase of freaks, and for some reason it felt pretty good to be there.
I later joined Colorful Psychosis and we went on a westcoast tour in a van- those were some more weird gigs. Joe would tell us we'd have a show, and we wouldn't, and he would go into a bar for example on Haight Street in San Fran and talk the bartender into letting us play- for like, no one. I quit of course after 3 weeks of this and many other misadventures.

foozyerdaddy

Postby foozyerdaddy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:33 am

i once witnessed transformer lootbag playing a wedding reception in beaver dam(along with the ashtray hearts ((mpls.)). inside of the groom's parents garage ..marty was wearing a tie.

that being said, we (droids) are playing a wedding in iowa in april...does anybody know the tab. to the "hokey pokey"?

Return to “Madison Music”