weird gigs

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
foozyerdaddy

weird gigs

Postby foozyerdaddy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:07 am

some of my most memorable gigs have occured in the strangest places..a vfw hall in floyd, ia (pop. 500), a strip club in rockford (located inside of a trailer park), underneath a amaco station in portage, wi (turned out to be a high school dance. wtf?)...few years back, my band opened for the New Recruits at a bar in Beaver Dam called "Cheesers".

i bet some of ya'll have got some good stories..i wanna hear em

el guante
Forum Addict

Postby el guante » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:09 pm

a rave held in a family restaurant in the fox valley for teenagers on drugs.

kiak

Postby kiak » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:26 pm

Yammer once played for a national conference of the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality http://www.sexscience.org

The conference theme: Masturbation and Sexual Fantasy
Our big number: Beat It
Audience reaction: of the oil painting variety

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:31 pm

The Junkers killed at the British Women Writers Conference.

rockmama
Forum Addict

Postby rockmama » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:38 pm

The Quickies once played in a bowling alley in WI Dells, allegedly for a scooter rally. There was no PA provided and we were paid in foreign currrency.

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:23 pm

around 90 people converged for six minutes in the middle of west towne mall to watch driver13 play two songs, WJJO convinced us to compete in the 'Shake Stuff Up' competition. i had to go to wal-mart to buy a crappy table to put my deck, mixer, and sampler on, and had two pints of chocolate milk.

we lost to some wannabe blink-182 band that won the year before, they probably sat around the mall stuffing the electronic ballot all day then too, seriously only 10 people were watching them, as soon as we were done the crowd left.

the best part in retrospect is that our drummer's wife taped it for posterity, you can see the Zales diamond store logo behind Kerry's head. people definitely did NOT like his stage volume, there were complaints in the food court (his rig, always: 1962 marshall plexi frankensteined over with a 1992 reissue, run through a bunch of pedals and ALWAYS turned all the way up, even at practice...and guess who sits exactly across from it :evil:)

the plastic table from that day now holds my keyboard, our behringer mixing board, and a realtime cd burner at practice now. (and whatever drink i'm almost spilling)

johnny danger was flabbergasted over the air during his remote when we lost.

"how the hell did driver13 lose this"

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:32 pm

Stepbrother wrote:the plastic table from that day now holds my keyboard, our behringer mixing board, and a realtime cd burner at practice now. (and whatever drink i'm almost spilling)

Sounds like our prac space, right down to the cheap mixer and real-time CD recorder.

Regarding Driver 13: There's no use crying over almost-spilled milk.

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:54 pm

supaunknown wrote:
Stepbrother wrote:the plastic table from that day now holds my keyboard, our behringer mixing board, and a realtime cd burner at practice now. (and whatever drink i'm almost spilling)

Sounds like our prac space, right down to the cheap mixer and real-time CD recorder.

Regarding Driver 13: There's no use crying over almost-spilled milk.

ahahhaha

some of us still write lots of music together.

:twisted:

Cooltapes
Forum Addict

Postby Cooltapes » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:07 pm

A four-way tie between:
1. My friend Zach and I played at an open mike at a coffee-house on Monroe for a contest, prize being free studio time somewhere. Back then (2000) it was not unusual for us to pack a stripped down drumset, just to play 3 songs at Cafe Assissi. We thought we had a shot at winning. But we found that this coffeehouse was a total frat hangout, packed that night, and our weird avant playing was definitely not what they were there to hear. A sorority girl who played like Lisa Kudrow- Smelly Cat stuff, won the contest.

2. A show put on by Art Paul Schlosser at OK's (1998), actually a great show, he was a good MC and was branching out into keyboards at the time.

3. The video arcade show at Stevens Point (1997.) We were pretty high (on life!) and surrounded by video games. For our next show we would learn the music to Burger Time.

4. The Blue Tarp show (1998). Playing underneath a blue tarp on State Street, the day after Maxwell Street days.

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:22 pm

In July 2000, IfIHadAHiFi were invited to play at our friend Abby's going away party, as she was moving to New York. As it happened, she ended up not moving to New York, but threw the party anyway. The party/show happened at the Taycheedah community center, in lovely Taycheedah, near Fond du Lac. The Catastrophe and The Wrong Ways were also scheduled to play.

The Catastrophe played before us, and as they played, we could see the PA was no good/nonexistent. There was one vocal mic with no stand, so the Catastrophe's singer put it on, like, i don't know, a table, and sung into it that way. Since we have three vocalists, we decided to say "fuck it" and play an instrumental noise improv set.

MEANWHILE: Early in the evening, a skinhead nazi kid had gotten wind that a half-Jewish girl (our pal Abby) was having a party, so he showed up to start some shit and was quickly chased away, vowing to come back later and get even. As this was happening, the band, my then-girlfriend, and i saw the seeds of a downhill evening being planted--underage kids drinking outside in plain sight, being destructive for no reason other than they were young, drunk, and stupid (my gf actually stomped out a fire that some drunk kid started because, i don't know, fire is cool).

Anyway, we set up and play our "this is ridiculous" noise improv set, quickly driving everyone outside. It was right around when we finished that the nazi kid came back, with friends and a boxcutter, ready to start shit with the now-completely-inebriated underagers. A massive fight breaks out, and our pals in the Wrong Ways (who never played) get caught in the middle. Knife cuts, bruises, and broken bones ensue. At this point, we VERY QUICKLY load up our equipment, and the gf and i hi-tail it to the closest neighborhood bar to call the police. The locals were flabbergasted. "A knife fight? At the COMMUNITY CENTER? WTF?"

So there's that story. We also have the following:

-The "HiFi gets banned from Milwaukee by high school hardcore kids with no sense of humor" story (which also involves a near-brawl at one of our shows)

-The "HiFi gets thrown off the stage at The Klinic by Sticha Bros. while the German Art Students laugh their asses off" story

-The "HiFi travels from San Francisco to Albuquerque to play a seedy coffee shop where some weird chubby teenager shows us her boobs and we're paid $20" story

And i'm sure there's more that i'm forgetting.

waylan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby waylan » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:26 pm

I'm looking forward to this upcoming Hometown Sweethearts gig in Oshkosh on April 21st. It's a clown party. I guess every year 150 peoples dress up like clowns and go bar hopping, with an end of the night spot, which we'll be providing the music for.

Can't wait.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:04 am

Cooltapes wrote:2. A show put on by Art Paul Schlosser at OK's (1998), actually a great show, he was a good MC and was branching out into keyboards at the time.

What was the name of the group you were in?
I don't suppose you remember who else played that night? See, our first DIGIBOT gig at O'Cayz was around then and was mc'd by Art Paul. Wormbot filled in on guitar for us that night cuz T-Bot had eaten a bad Slim Jim that day that'd been wedged underneath his hot car seat for who knows how long ...

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:23 am

DrAwkward wrote:-The "HiFi gets banned from Milwaukee by high school hardcore kids with no sense of humor" story (which also involves a near-brawl at one of our shows)

-The "HiFi gets thrown off the stage at The Klinic by Sticha Bros. while the German Art Students laugh their asses off" story

-The "HiFi travels from San Francisco to Albuquerque to play a seedy coffee shop where some weird chubby teenager shows us her boobs and we're paid $20" story.

I'd love to hear more details about all these shows.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Re: weird gigs

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:34 am

foozyerdaddy wrote:...few years back, my band opened for the New Recruits at a bar in Beaver Dam called "Cheesers".

That was a great show. I seem to recall Chips playing a solo that went on for what seemed like 15 minutes. At the end of the night I asked the owner for a pack of Parliaments and he was so flabbergasted that anyone actually smoked them that he gave me two packs for $2. Then he proceeded to send us home with a bunch of bottles of gawd-awful booze he couldn't sell ... and t-shirts (never wore mine 'cause it had a big-ass Miller Lite logo on it).

My first Madison band played a gig at the Old Miami in Detroit. The neighborhood was the biggest shithole I've ever seen and the bar was a hangout for Vietnam vets--which was a good thing because it was the only safe haven in the area. That was the only gig I've ever played that provided gated, locked parking for our van--and a good thing too. We weren't told ahead of time that we needed to provide our own door guy, so somebody from the other band worked door for us (and ripped us off, I think). Bort worked door for them, gave a homeless guy a buck and got a hug in return ... and the worst cold of his life, he claims. Claims he could feel himself getting infected on the spot.

Then there was the NR gig at the Main Stage in Green Bay. The audience was entirely composed of people who were already wasted when we loaded in around 7:00. What a freak show. The night ended with the bar manager on stage pouring shots down our throats while we played our last couple of songs. I was so hung-over the next day I let Shinky drive my car home.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Re: weird gigs

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:37 am

Chuck_Schick wrote: I was so hung-over the next day I let Shinky drive my car home.

On the highway!!?!
Egad, man!

Return to “Madison Music”