Etiquette Thread.

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:02 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Seems to me, all that's important to remember about drink tickets is that they don't include a tip.

Fair enough; that works too.

lil bunny fufu wrote:After you start playing, nobody gives a shit whether you can hear the floor tom - and they're probably thinking that you're a dumb-ass because you didn't have the good sense to stow your feces in an orderly fashion when you had the chance.

I usually give myself one monitor request during the set, then i shut the fuck up. If it's not corrected after i ask the first time, i figure the dude's either not listening or doesn't care, and it's not a big enough deal to screw up the flow of the set.

lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:04 pm

I cant stand musicians screwing around during setup. If it was possible that my band could set up without pucking a single note or tapping one skin I would prefer it, so that the first sound the audience hears is the first note of our first song. The stuff mentioned before about scales and playing along with the jukebox is assinine, so spending two minutes hitting an E-chord and repeatedly switching the three buttons on your footswitch to make sure the levels are the same. The crowd just stands around wondering if this is part of the show, the soundguy kills the house music thinking the band is starting, then the offender tells him the band isnt starting yet, at which point the sound guy brings the house music back up, and the jamming recommences. It drives me nuts! Sometimes I just wanna lean over and say, "Knock it off, Matt!" I guess it's the company I keep.

I think a practical way to do a live setup soundcheck is that everyone sets up so that they all finish at the same time, then the amps are switched on and after a few chords, runs, switches, and whatever the soundguy wants to hear, a brief chorus or something. Then the amps go back on standby and you go get a drink or whatever, and return to play within 5 or 7 minutes. After the set an opening band should tear down before anything other than emergency bowel evacuation, and inform the next band when the stage is cleared. A headliner might not have to tear down immediately, but all band members should make getting their equipment into the van a higher priority than getting blacked out drunk.

At the same time, everyone's there to have fun, so you can't crack balls all night.

Jeribelle
Forum Addict

Postby Jeribelle » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:11 pm

I say these folks shoulda been courteous...if they knew they were gonna be primadonnas, then they should have volunteered to play last.

Is there really a point to hauling mics and stands to a gig such as this? I assume the idea is to sound slightly better, but it sure seems like a lot of work for a bar/club show, and the only measurable end result is being obnoxious...

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:05 am

I always find it laughable that some peope demand to use their in ear monitors without consulting with the club before to see if they are even able to accomadate in ear monitors.

Spoken Word
Forum Addict

Postby Spoken Word » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:18 am

yep, tuning up audibly on stage is one of the worst offenses of the amateur musician

Stepbrother
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stepbrother » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:44 am

bands are really annoying, and you know what's worse? their fans.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:01 am

Spoken Word wrote:yep, tuning up audibly on stage is one of the worst offenses of the amateur musician

That's why God made the mutable tuner...

lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:13 am

Michael Patrick wrote:
Spoken Word wrote:yep, tuning up audibly on stage is one of the worst offenses of the amateur musician

Then why did he make them $99.99? No way I'm shelling out for two of those, for both my guitar and bass rig. Good thing basses dont need to be tuned ever (That's a little known secret).

Spoken Word
Forum Addict

Postby Spoken Word » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:22 am

Michael Patrick wrote:

God kicks some serious butt, doesn't he/she/it? Rock the fuck on, God!

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:31 am

lonesomejohnny wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:

Then why did he make them $99.99? No way I'm shelling out for two of those, for both my guitar and bass rig. Good thing basses dont need to be tuned ever (That's a little known secret).

Here's one for $19.99... :wink:

madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madt0wn » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:21 pm

So was it The New Loud or Drop Dead Giants? Just so I can be forewarned if I run into them in the future.

lil bunny fufu
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lil bunny fufu » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:07 pm

Jeribelle wrote:Is there really a point to hauling mics and stands to a gig such as this? I assume the idea is to sound slightly better, but it sure seems like a lot of work for a bar/club show, and the only measurable end result is being obnoxious...

We carry vocal mics with stands, guitar amp mics, and a mic & DI for the bass rig.

Drummer has a headworn vocal mic, so you pretty much HAVE to bring that. We're not in to making out with the same microphone that about 1000 other people have spat in to, so we also carry the other vocal mics. We've also run in to too many mic stands that were so shitty they couldn't perform the required function that earned them their moniker, so now we carry those as well just in case. It really blows when you gotta sing and your mic either keeps falling over or slowly lowering itself.

The guitar & bass rig mics are for "oh, shit" moments and don't often get used. They mostly come out after consultation with the sound tech when the venue's low on mics or have exceptionally duff kit.

We haven't noticed any problems with additional time wasted.

The New Loud

Postby The New Loud » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:29 pm

>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Excellent, things are going smoothly. The next band (who shall remain nameless as I think they truly were just kinda green, very nice folks and an interesting band) takes 35 minutes to set up.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Shane, from the band: The New Loud, here to explain in a little more detail the show in question.

The show was at small club in central WI. Bands load-out and bands load-in the same door. In this particular club, you have to leave all your gear (except guitars, amp heads, etc.) outside in your van until you play â?? this means drums are not set up, etc. The stage is too small to even think of back-lining. Then you load-in, as I mentioned, through the same door the band before you is loading-out of. There is only one way on the stage. This does not lend itself to a fast set up take down. Also, the 35 minutes between sets included the first band breaking down.

>>>>>>>>>>>>
I didn't notice it happening while they were setting up, but this band had brought their own stands and mics. So, the sound guy had to tear down the house stuff for this band and wait for them to set up. What made this situation even weirder is that this band wouldn't let the house soundguy touch their stands and mics.
<<<<<<<<<<<<<

We use our own mics because, frankly, I donâ??t want to use a microphone that someone has just slobbered all their spit/sick/belch/cum/whatever in. We bring our own stands because, more likely than not, mic stands at clubs are completely fucked and wonâ??t stay in place.

We are not â??prima-donnasâ?Â

harrissimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby harrissimo » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:47 pm

Flame away.

Shane
The New Loud

Don't worry about it dude. You're young you will play many gigs. Sometimes things get confusing.

I don't like poking my face in a skanky mic either.

Couple of things:

Musicians should never play their instruments on stage before their set, it's totally lame.

Always tip your bartenders and wait staff and tip them well even if all the drinks are free.

That real big guy in the corner. Don't hit on his girlfriend.

Have fun kids.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:49 am

Cutting edge of common sense things.

Start on time-especially if there are more than three bands on a bill. Look at it this way: so you have to open and there's no crowd yet. Get your set out of the way and commence drinking-it builds character.

Similarly if some poor opening act has to jump on this particular hand grenade-hang out and listen to their set (unless you really just can't stand it!)

Keep sets to a prearranged length. I don't care if you are the second comming of rock n roll Jesus-more than 45 minutes is tiresome. Repeat: you are not Bruce Springsteen.

Setting up and breaking down fast is both Courteous and Proffesional!

Work with the sound people-you may not like all their ideas, but on the other hand they may know a little more about the venue than you do.

Return to “Madison Music”