Madison Music Project - A fill in world music category!

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Do you think Madison Music Project should have a fill-in genre category for world music?

Yes
44%
No
56%

Total votes: 9

oddleif
Forum Addict

Madison Music Project - A fill in world music category!

Postby oddleif » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:01 pm

First off, I want to say that I am extremely grateful to Isthmus for doing the Madison Music Project. It's an excellent resource for people who are looking to book and for musicians to collaborate. A big thank you!

However, I want one teeny tweak and so far, my request has fallen on deaf ears, so this post is intended for local musicians and others for comments/support. What I want is a fill-in category under world music. For the past 2-3 years, the category has had 4 subcategory genres - Irish, Latin, Reggae and Middle Eastern. That's great if you play that type music, but unfortunately, the world has 200+ countries and just as many music genres, so it is very difficult to peg oneself into only four of them. I am in a fix, because I play the Norwegian hardanger fiddle and I went with the genre that was geographically the closest, Irish. Well, that backfired, because I got a couple of gig request from people who really did want Irish music and I had to explain that no, I dont play that. So now, I have eliminated genre from my profile all together, which really put me at a disadvantage if people are searching. So I am stuck! My solution to the web masters was for them to create an additional fill subcategory in world-music that the musician can fill in, because obviously, it would be impossible to have 100+ countries as subcategories. Having poked around in HTML, I know this is not difficult to do. So I am not sure why this is an insurmountable problem. So fellow musicians and fans of world music, is this something that you would like added to the Madison Music Project? I would be interested in your responses and the more the better. Critical mass is crucial. I can point to this thread and say, I am not the only freak who is asking for this. Thanks!

Return to “Madison Music”