smoking in live music venues - yes or no?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Smoking in live music venues?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:28 am

Smoking should be (or remain) prohibited
74%
Smoking should be allowed without restriction
4%
Should be left to the discretion of the venue management
22%

Total votes: 23

madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madt0wn » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:23 pm

Because there were a few business who's only income came from Cigars and maybe the occasional wine sale. Cigar shops are just glorified 'boys clubs' where people come mainly to buy and smoke their purchase right there since they are more than likely not allowed to at home. At least, that was the experience I had the couple of times I've been to a cigar shop.

Montressor

Postby Montressor » Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:24 pm

madt0wn wrote:Because there were a few business who's only income came from Cigars and maybe the occasional wine sale. Cigar shops are just glorified 'boys clubs' where people come mainly to buy and smoke their purchase right there since they are more than likely not allowed to at home. At least, that was the experience I had the couple of times I've been to a cigar shop.

I think they were talking about cigar bars, not cigar shops.

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:11 pm

I would have to say that the ban has impacted some, but not all local musicians. Here it is, a year later, and most of the people I knew who were locally gigging are still out there. As for the size of the crowd, that is still as variable as when smoking was still an option. The bottom line is, the musicians who play in clubs will not necessarily be getting richer with or without smoking, but they might enjoy that extra 5-10 years that would have been taken away.

As a quick addendum, I want to mention that over the weekend was a very successful performance by local jazz musicians showcasing the music of Art Blakey at Restaurant Magnus. Although I missed it, I was told that room was packed and that it was probably the most succesful jazz show they have had in months. I doubt that anyone missed the smoke.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:26 pm

I really hated the smoking ban at first. Fucking Liberals, I said, always interfering on behalf of some self-righteous cause...

At this time I would also happily chain smoke (and drink) until the skin under my tongue was raw and striated (undoubtedly Not a good sign)...

Now that I don't smoke anymore I definitly feel like I have better cardio-vascular health. My thoat is not as tight and hangover usually arn't so murderous. Aside from not having anything to do with my hands at shows, I miss the speedy effect of tobacco-Its increasingly harder to stay up so late at age 40 than it was at even 37.

P.S. Got to see Art Blakey and the Jazz Messangers in Dayton Ohio back in the late 80s-He cracked that he was from "America's #1 vacation destination-Pittsburgh Pa!" he then limped behind the drum kit and commenced to play with astounding authority-it was easy for a rocker like my self to see where John Bonham had copped much of his style, steady pace, and booming fillins...

oranger
Forum Addict

Postby oranger » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:40 pm

http://www.cdc.gov/
Read the new info on second hand smoke.

eastside

Re: smoking in live music venues - yes or no?

Postby eastside » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:14 am

grant wrote:
My prediction: Many or most of the musicians in this forum are probably smokers and will rake me over the coals for having the nerve. That's okay. But I'd appreciate it if someone would explain why it makes business sense to cater exclusively to the minority who smoke rather than the majority who find smoke-filled bars unpleasant.

The possibility that smokers are more likely to be drunks than nonsmokers might explain the economics of it. Nicotine is also a stimulent that allows you to stay up longer while drinking. There is a reason to sell Red Bull. . . . . .

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Postby meowzamusic » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:37 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again because of the ban:
If any band ever plays "Smokin'" by Boston I will leap on stage and strangle the singer

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:33 pm

grant wrote:
blunt wrote:Yes they do.

That's a rather sweeping statement.

blunt wrote:Nobody takes out a huge student loan for bartender/hostess school and then graduates having to support a family and being forced to pour drinks at Pitcher's.

So you're saying that everyone who works in a bar does it because they've voluntarily rejected other alternatives offering similar pay and hours? I'd be very surprised if this were true. And what do student loans have to do with anything?

Yes, everyone who works in a bar does it because they've voluntarily rejected other alternatives offering similar pay and hours!! :roll:
Why wouldn't they take the other job????
Thus the student loan comment: I thought you meant graduates couldn't find a job they've been trained in and had to take a cut in pay by bartending.
(Full disclosure: some bartenders make a whole lotta buncha money.)

Smoking in public places is over, earthlings. It ain't coming back.
Now that the air is clean, please keep the sidewalks clean.
Even dog owners have to clean up their secondhand poop.

Return to “Madison Music”