High Noon and the Man: WTF??

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Is the city being too hard on the High Noon Saloon?

hell no
12%
fuck yeah
88%

Total votes: 34

Mikey K
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mikey K » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:27 pm

charliedon'tsurf wrote:
Mikey K wrote:
Fock the City of Madison. Liberal Jack-Booted Nazi Thugs are just as much Jack-Booted Nazi Thugs as Conservative Jack-Booted Nazi Thugs.

There's a reason I don't live in Dane Co. anymore.

I haven't been beaten or harrased by Nazi's in the decade I lived here. Do I need They Live glasses or something? Is it the smoking in taverns thing again?*yawn*

On the brightside a lot of times cops here will let you off for weed as opposed to jail time in the Hinterlands.

Enjoy that Northern Wisconsin music scene. It is the next Seattle, except for the fact it is dominated with pathetic cover bands with zero chance of national recognition. Ever.

Diff strokes, diff folks I guess.

I don't get you guys. You piss and moan about how you're being oppressed, and I point out that "The Man" comes in many colors, and you get pissed off. Kinda like telling you that your very favorite sports team that happens to be 2-12 sucks, when in fact, they suck.

No, it's not the Smoking Thing. It's the erosion of freedoms around the city in the Name Of Good. Fuck the Name Of Good. Fuck saving us from ourselves. Let ME and YOU and every other CITIZEN make that choice.

Harrassing Cathy and the High Noon is bullshit, it's cronyism, it's thug-like, it's classic Mayor Daley hijinx, except that it's happening in the flowery liberal happy house of Madison. All I'm saying is Bullshit is Bullshit, no matter what you wanna call it, and extremists of any color are dangerous.

And as far as the music scene in Wausau, I havent seen a cover band yet. Madison has far, far, far more of them than you'll find up here...there's a burgeoning underground punk and metal scene here...so hip and cool that old farts like me can't find out much about it other than it exists.

I see it's the same old shit on this board...say whatever you want, just don't try to speak the truth, or at least something different than the Isthmus Lemmings wanna hear. Pffffffffffffft to that, I say.

madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madt0wn » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:29 pm

DrAwkward wrote:Whatever dude. Vic Ferrari are goin' places.

When I worked a show that Vic played, the soundguy told me that they pulled in something like $750,000 the year prior. That was in 1997. The whole band/crew is on salary. Tell me you wouldn't be tempted to do that, even if you were playing covers? I'd be sure as hell to to that for $50k+ a year, it beats what I do now.

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:19 pm

madt0wn wrote:

When I worked a show that Vic played, the soundguy told me that they pulled in something like $750,000 the year prior. That was in 1997. The whole band/crew is on salary. Tell me you wouldn't be tempted to do that, even if you were playing covers? I'd be sure as hell to to that for $50k+ a year, it beats what I do now.

that's a lot for '96. wow.

It's interesting to note - now that the floor is soundproofed at the High Noon--the PA system was upgraded several notches (isolated the subs), and both the stage and room sound remarkably better.

the stage sounds GREAT now; it has the former real wood floor and really, it's a big improvement. the woofiness in the room and boominess from the subs into the stage are gone and the room sound has cleared up nicely. great job there to cathy & crew...

charliedon'tsurf wrote:Enjoy that Northern Wisconsin music scene. It is the next Seattle, except for the fact it is dominated with pathetic cover bands with zero chance of national recognition. Ever.

:oops:

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:44 pm

Yeah, I thought the room sounded great last night. I look forward to hearing the sound on stage.

DrAwkward
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DrAwkward » Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:26 am

madt0wn wrote:

'Course i'd do that. But they're not literally "going places." ;)

madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madt0wn » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:48 am

DrAwkward wrote:
madt0wn wrote:

'Course i'd do that. But they're not literally "going places." ;)

Point taken. But maybe that's even better. No long nights sharing the back of a van with your stinky bassist/drummer/singer/groupie while you cross the flatlands of America.

Return to “Madison Music”