High Noon and the Man: WTF??

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Is the city being too hard on the High Noon Saloon?

hell no
12%
fuck yeah
88%

Total votes: 34

skippy
Forum Addict

Postby skippy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:49 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
jhain wrote:That's correct. As far as I know, they are always unannounced.

Yeah, it kind of defeats the purpose otherwise.

"Okay folks, today's the day the health inspector stops by, so I want to see bleach on those bar rags!"

If you follow me ...

There were times when we knew they were coming and times when they just showed up. Perhaps city & state inspectors operate differently.

skippy
Forum Addict

Postby skippy » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:00 pm

minicat wrote:Whether I think the Overture Center sucks is not even part of my point, beyond my name-calling. You seem to be missing what I'm trying to say.

The city claims it's supportive of the arts; hell, when it was revealed the OC's financial situation was poorly planned and already in disarray, the city stepped in and just took it over. So now we're helping pay to run the place, apparently.

So if the city is so supportive of the arts (using Overture as an example), why are they harrassing the High Noon?

I don't see what "being supportive of the arts" has to do with potentially harrassing the HN. Is the city trying to get people under 18 into other taverns to buy smokes? Did the Dept. of Health unfairly single out the HN?

The HN is tavern, no? It's not a museum or a theater, it's a place that has a mission to sell booze.

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:29 am

skippy wrote:
minicat wrote:Whether I think the Overture Center sucks is not even part of my point, beyond my name-calling. You seem to be missing what I'm trying to say.

The city claims it's supportive of the arts; hell, when it was revealed the OC's financial situation was poorly planned and already in disarray, the city stepped in and just took it over. So now we're helping pay to run the place, apparently.

So if the city is so supportive of the arts (using Overture as an example), why are they harrassing the High Noon?

I don't see what "being supportive of the arts" has to do with potentially harrassing the HN. Is the city trying to get people under 18 into other taverns to buy smokes? Did the Dept. of Health unfairly single out the HN?

The HN is tavern, no? It's not a museum or a theater, it's a place that has a mission to sell booze.

the high noon is a "for profit" cultural space. They books musical acts to come in, pay those acts, and make money as a result of the whole thing. The overture also books "acts"(in this case traveling music and theater shows), taking in a share of the profits. The high noon isn't very different from the bartell theater, the private galleries in town(slingshot, firecracker, etc...) or the overture. the main difference is that the HN sells booze at the same time, instead of just tickets and overpriced wine and coctails.

rockmama
Forum Addict

Postby rockmama » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:24 am

And I'll add that the High Noon also hosts craft fairs, kid shows, yard sales, comedy & film events, to mention a few.

Biff, or whomever might organize a benefit, give a holler when you need help with this. I'm IN.

Jeribelle
Forum Addict

Postby Jeribelle » Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:22 pm

I think a benefit is a good idea. It will draw attention to how much the community cares about the High Noon.

As for the cops...handing out parking tickets is a lot easier than busting REAL criminals. Woo hoo! Our tax dollars at work! Although I must say I definately appreciated the police when they were all over King St. right after that shooting outside of the Majestic. My band played a show a few nights after that incident and it was a lot easier packing up our gear with two cops right next to our cars. We could just leave the hatch and trunk open and load it up.

Good luck to Cathy. I'll shoot an email to the district alder.

Crow
Forum Addict

Postby Crow » Tue May 02, 2006 9:53 am

More on the coffee shop/wine bar/jazz thingy referenced earlier (much earlier) in this thread:

Brink to open club on East Wash

The Brink Lounge's music start times of 8 p.m. are made to accommodate live music lovers who prefer early evenings.

"If you're done with dinner or a movie or the Overture Center, you can come here and be home by 10 or 11 p.m.. You don't have to stay out late," Brink said, adding that the music will continue until up to 1 a.m.

Great... so now all of the parking will be occupied by these early birds by the time anything starts up at the HN, eh?

Jeribelle
Forum Addict

Postby Jeribelle » Tue May 02, 2006 5:14 pm

oh fuck that.

i guess we'll also need to hold a benefit that will pay for the van shuttle from whereever we high nooners will inevitably need to park.

anyone taking notes? we're gonna need about 20 bands.

@wood
Forum Addict

Postby @wood » Tue May 02, 2006 7:52 pm

The "Brink" lounge...ugh. I give it 9 months and *poof*.

MotorPrimitives
Forum Addict

Postby MotorPrimitives » Fri May 05, 2006 8:27 am

I just got an email back from my alder, Judy Olson. She's in fact finding mode right now. She's going to talk to MG&E regarding what roll they might have in the on street parking restriction issue.

Hopefully, more news to follow shortly....

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Fri May 05, 2006 11:02 am

MotorPrimitives wrote:I just got an email back from my alder, Judy Olson. She's in fact finding mode right now. She's going to talk to MG&E regarding what roll they might have in the on street parking restriction issue.

kick ass.

Vog

Postby Vog » Fri May 05, 2006 7:54 pm

MotorPrimitives wrote:I just got an email back from my alder, Judy Olson. She's in fact finding mode right now. She's going to talk to MG&E regarding what roll they might have in the on street parking restriction issue.

Now, this is constructive, level headed, and the smart way to pursue this. Nice job, MP's. Perhaps everyone within walking distance attending a show could also walk. Saving fuel is good for your wallet, our environment, and sticks it to Cheney.

Ed Breakfast
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ed Breakfast » Fri May 05, 2006 11:00 pm

Perhaps everyone within walking distance attending a show could also walk. Saving fuel is good for your wallet, our environment, and sticks it to Cheney.

Hopefully it won't be too long before we can take the streetcar and/or commuter rail.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Sat May 06, 2006 12:26 am

Ed Breakfast wrote:
Perhaps everyone within walking distance attending a show could also walk. Saving fuel is good for your wallet, our environment, and sticks it to Cheney.

Hopefully it won't be too long before we can take the streetcar and/or commuter rail.

You lack vision. I dream of jet packs, hover bikes and unicorns.

Jeribelle
Forum Addict

Postby Jeribelle » Sat May 06, 2006 2:15 am

charliedon'tsurf wrote:
Ed Breakfast wrote:

You lack vision. I dream of jet packs, hover bikes and unicorns.

What about those Hover Boards like in Back to the Future? Only a matter of time...

madt0wn
Forum God/Goddess

Postby madt0wn » Sun May 07, 2006 8:14 pm

@wood wrote:The "Brink" lounge...ugh. I give it 9 months and *poof*.

No shit, there's only so many night a week AJ and Harrisimo can go there.

The coffee bar will be gone within three months, there's just not enough business or houses within walking distance to sustain that. Given the location, I can't see that working at all.

Didn't the King Club initially start out as a jazz/blues club? If I recall, they couldn't make any money off of it and switched to what it is now. Maybe that should have raised a red flag. Don't get me wrong, jazz and blues are cool... For about 10 minuets, for me at least. After that it all starts sounding the same. There's only so many solos I can hear in one sitting. Just my opinion.

Return to “Madison Music”