High Noon and the Man: WTF??

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Is the city being too hard on the High Noon Saloon?

hell no
12%
fuck yeah
88%

Total votes: 34

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

High Noon and the Man: WTF??

Postby Bifftar » Sun Apr 23, 2006 6:40 pm

hey is it just me, or is the city/police/man being extra hard on Cathy Dethmers and the High Noon Saloon?

from where I stand (and I imagine everyone in the local music scene) she's a hero; an underdog who is doing (and has done) great things for the music community. She is one of the rarest of clubowners--the kind that is actually cool, fair and honest. I could go on here but we all know it's true.

So what is up w. the tickets on cars parked on the street over there? my friend gets a $35 parking ticket to see our show last friday cuz that tiny lot can't hold shit for cars? remember last winter when ALL the cars got tickets, very stealthily one night/week, and Cathy paid them out? hundreds of dollars there. she's got signs up but the cops are being asses.

And then, well before Happyoke last friday the city health inspector stings the High Noon w. an under-age cigarette sale - they sent in a plant who got by the doorguy and boom, a fat ticket.

HNS employee Tom Hamer's car gets stolen across the lot, cops do nada. Nate's guitar case disappears after a show (let's find that lefty Tele-c'mon). Aaron Konkol my man from Dumate/Natty gets beaten to within an inch of his life a couple blocks away, thank god he is alive - sorry no cops there either! But they're busy stinging the HNS, ticketing all the street parked cars there that have no other place to park--

sorry to vent but WHAT THE FUCK? it's getting a little out of hand.

Maybe it's time the media and the scene came to the rescue. would the city be doing this if a different person owned the space? I don't recall them being supreme asses to Luthers', the Crystal, the Harmony, Annex etc. All the shit she had to wade through just to get the venue... It seems like Cathy is being discriminated against. Am i the only one who sees this?

Plus, the 'new multi-million dollar jazz club' downstairs (which i heard is the landlord's) is requiring them to rip up their awesome hardwood floor, lose a week of business or more and re-sound proof. Huh?

It's almost the HNS' 2 year anniversary... i'm down with a "stop the sting benefit" or "floor benefit show" or "stop the city from fucking w. the High Noon benefit" if anyone else is. let's let the man know he can't fucking fuck with Cathy anymore, we're mad as hell and we're not going to take it.

there i said it.

meowzamusic
Forum God/Goddess

Re: High Noon and the Man: WTF??

Postby meowzamusic » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:34 pm

Bifftar wrote: "stop the sting benefit"

Awesome! Der Gomers could do Regatta de Blanc and Outlandos d'Amour...

Bifftar wrote:there i said it.

Well said. Lets get a concert together, people.

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:51 pm

Get a Street Use Permit for a "Take back East Main" rally w music?

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:51 pm

Holy crap. This is not okay. I was wondering what was up with the parking situation but I had no idea this other stuff was going on. I'm glad you posted, Biff. Maybe Isthmus or Dane101 or someone would help out with some investigative reporting. HINT.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:08 pm

First things first: What's going on in the battle to get E. Main parking restrictions lifted? If we can all agree that cruising is no longer a problem, but access to an important (and perhaps more importantly, un-subsidized) arts venue is, then this should be a no brainer.

Mike Verveer saved Maduro, why isn't anyone doing the same for the High Noon?

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:05 am

See page 3 of this thread for Judy Olsen contact info.

http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14255

I hadn't heard about closing the club for a week for flooring/soundproofing but the idea of closing E. main for a benefit concert is a great idea if this happens during the summer. Block Party at High Noon!

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:01 am

Stomach wrote: the idea of closing E. main for a benefit concert is a great idea if this happens during the summer. Block Party at High Noon!

it just irks me that - the health inspector didn't even go into the Brass Ring to sting THEM as well. it was just the high noon. no police there at bar time preventing theft, grand larceny or robbery - but we pay them with our taxes to - ticket cars and sting the HNS? it smacks of strong-arming.

it would be super cool to have a block party to help out... sweet idea Ben & Stomach.

Ben & Stomach - companion tummy pills to Ben & Jerry's?

MotorPrimitives
Forum Addict

Postby MotorPrimitives » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:02 am

jjoyce wrote:First things first: What's going on in the battle to get E. Main parking restrictions lifted? If we can all agree that cruising is no longer a problem, but access to an important (and perhaps more importantly, un-subsidized) arts venue is, then this should be a no brainer.

Mike Verveer saved Maduro, why isn't anyone doing the same for the High Noon?

JJoyce is right about the parking thing. One of the things that makes high density developement work without having to put in a sea of surface parking is that there's got to be alternatives on the street.

I think this issue eventually needs to go to city traffic engineering to get the parking limits lifted. The person that will need to spear head this change is the alderiod of the district, Judy Olson. She'll be proactive about it only if she hears from enough people that it's an easily resolved problem. Here's her email:
district6@cityofmadison.com
Send her a message saying that parking should be allowed in the area around the HNS after normal business hours.

Then, write the Mayor and let him know that there is an opportunity for him to show how business friendly Madison is. The Mayor could "fix" the parking problem, get the press out there, and he'd have a great PR event.

Regarding the floor, is the Jazz place's ceiling already in place? There's some great insulation material that is easy to hang up from the underside. We just got some insulation blown into our walls in our house (dense packed R60!) and the guys that did it were talking about some new materials that were easy to work with. Why this guy didn't think about this before hand is beyond me!

As far as fundraisers go, it's gonna have to be a 3 day block party given that every local band is gonna want to enthusiastically support Cathy, since she's enthusiastically supported all of us. The MPs are at your disposal!

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:10 am

It's seemed to me like the city has been discriminatory toward O'Cayz/High Noon since 504 burned down.

If this city can spend all that money on the Bendoverture, can't it at least stop harrassing the High Noon? I'll bet the HN is attended by (and culturally important to) a much more diverse cross-section of the public than the B.O. Center.

AJ Love
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AJ Love » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:23 am

I don't have any short-term solutions to offer but the long term solution is to replace Judy Olsen on the City Council.

Bifftar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bifftar » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:42 am

minicat wrote:It's seemed to me like the city has been discriminatory toward O'Cayz/High Noon since 504 burned down.

If this city can spend all that money on the Bendoverture, can't it at least stop harrassing the High Noon? I'll bet the HN is attended by (and culturally important to) a much more diverse cross-section of the public than the B.O. Center.

right on minicat, I couldn't agree more. from the other thread:

Here's an idea, hassle Judy Olson until the problem is solved.

Call and write her.

Common Council Phone: (608) 266-4071
Common Council Fax: (608) 267-8669
Home Phone: (608) 245-0557

518 Clemons Avenue
Madison WI 53704

I'm sending her a letter today. And yeah Motor P's - the mayor could certainly spin this into a positive for him.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:16 am

Damn, if there's a benefit, you can count me in.

Cathy rules. She's done more to keep music alive in this city than just about anyone. And because of her hard work, the HN is one of the best venues in the midwest.

I wonder...the cops don't do this kind of thing unless either there've been repeated offenses (which there haven't) or somebody *else* is pressuring the city. I'm suspicious that some competitor/whiny person/freak with money has a grudge against the HN and is leaning on the city to make things difficult. What does the city really stand to gain from screwing up the HN? Well, parking ticket money, I suppose, but they risk killing off that whole revenue zone - I doubt the Brass Ring or whatever else goes in there will be able to survive long-term without the foot traffic and random exposure the HN brings them.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:43 am

AJ Love wrote:I don't have any short-term solutions to offer but the long term solution is to replace Judy Olsen on the City Council.

Ouch! I've always thought Judy does a good job of balancing a very opinionated and diverse district.

As to HN parking - I sure wish they would put in a bike rack.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:14 pm

I find the downstairs whine bar complaining about the noise coming from the music venue they moved into below from pretty amazing.

Uh, what's the ol' reasoning for the law preventing people from parking on the street overnight around HNS/MG&E? Is it to curb hobo van-dwellers? Cruising teens? Prevent terrorism? There's certainly TONS of potential parking on the "off" streets around there. The whole revamped Buy & Sell complex, of which you'd inarguably have to say the HNS is the crown jewel, has already established itself as a popular Madison nightspot. Make street parking easier and everybody wins.

bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobbyray » Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:26 pm

supaunknown wrote:Uh, what's the ol' reasoning for the law preventing people from parking on the street overnight around HNS/MG&E? Is it to curb hobo van-dwellers? Cruising teens? Prevent terrorism?

I believe the terrorism angle, ridiculous as it may seem in this case, is a big part of it. Banning parking near power facilities of any kind is pretty standard practice these days.

Return to “Madison Music”