Is it so wrong that I want the Geddy Lee bass?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Geddy Lee bass?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:09 am

thumbs UP
79%
thumbs DOWN
21%

Total votes: 14

newlow
Forum Addict

Re: Rush Sucks!

Postby newlow » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:07 pm

If you believe a fifth bass string is about technique and not sound then you shouldn't be a musician of any sort.

ww

Ouch! I've been frontin' for years.

You make an interesting point and the follow-up about a fretless being pretentious too or not? This is a quagmire of epic proportions!

Somehow a fretless for the tone provided is incredibly cool, but a five string for the tone provided didn't even fit in my coolness equation!... Damn! I need to go home and cry now.

BUT Rush is never cool! Sorry dorks...

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:53 pm

juanton wrote:If you have ever been to a place like Chicago Music Exchange, you'll see the black block inlays and neck binding were pretty common in the 70's ...

I checked out the CME website and was impressed with most of the 'vintage' basses they had on there. There was a '68 Telecaster bass for $7595 (!) that looked mega beat up but like it could tell some stories or something. List prices were astronomical but nothing unexpected - way out of my range though. The Geddy Lee bass is actually looking better by comparison ...

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:05 pm

supaunknown wrote: '68 Telecaster bass for $7595

Who the fuck is paying prices like this for instruments?

If you can't find a good guitar or bass for $200 or less, you're not trying very hard.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:56 pm

minicat wrote:
supaunknown wrote:'68 Telecaster bass for $7595

Probably some corporate shitheels who hang 'em on their office walls and reminisce about the ol' college days before they sold their souls ... or maybe the occasional big-name musician with bucks to burn.
minicat wrote:If you can't find a good guitar or bass for $200 or less, you're not trying very hard.

'Good' being the key word there. While there are quite a few eminently playable basses (I own a few) available for cheap I can't say I've ever played a GREAT instrument that was $200 or less.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:13 pm

supaunknown wrote:
minicat wrote:
supaunknown wrote:'68 Telecaster bass for $7595

Probably some corporate shitheels who hang 'em on their office walls and reminisce about the ol' college days before they sold their souls ... or maybe the occasional big-name musician with bucks to burn.
minicat wrote:If you can't find a good guitar or bass for $200 or less, you're not trying very hard.

'Good' being the key word there. While there are quite a few eminently playable basses (I own a few) available for cheap I can't say I've ever played a GREAT instrument that was $200 or less.

I guess I don't see how there is $7450 difference between a Telecaster and my Hagstrom.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:25 pm

What amuses me more than anything else is that those klunky Fenders from the 70's and 80's are now "collectors items." What happened? Did those basses improve with age?

Besides, here's the Geddy bass...

To think that I almost bought one of those once... because of Geddy.

It would be a crime to spend $8k for any bass that was not an upright.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:29 pm

minicat wrote:I guess I don't see how there is $7450 difference between a Telecaster and my Hagstrom.

God those CME prices are high ... reminded me of the false industry-inflated prices for collectible baseball cards.

"Beckett says my Mark McGuire rookie card is worth $300!"
"I'll give you $5 for it."

There's a big swing between the inflated asking prices and real worth.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:11 pm

minicat wrote:
supaunknown wrote: '68 Telecaster bass for $7595

If you can't find a good guitar or bass for $200 or less, you're not trying very hard.

I would never, ever buy a guitar from CME because of the prices. I do, however, love going there, playing the basses, and of course drooling.

CME really has jacked up there prices ever since Al Gore invented the Internet, My first visit was in 95 and I saw plenty of mid to late 70's basses that were mostly under $1000.

juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:15 pm

WestSideYuppie wrote:What amuses me more than anything else is that those klunky Fenders from the 70's and 80's are now "collectors items." What happened? Did those basses improve with age?

You have got to be kidding me. I played a7 4 Jazz for many , many years and it was bad ass. I now play a 78 P Bass that I wouldn't sell for anything. Besides doesn't most of the tone and playability come from the person playing the bass? A super nice bass isn't going to make a sucky bass player sound better, I should know. My Thunderbird gets very little play time.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:35 pm

juanton wrote:
WestSideYuppie wrote:What amuses me more than anything else is that those klunky Fenders from the 70's and 80's are now "collectors items." What happened? Did those basses improve with age?

You have got to be kidding me. I played a 74 Jazz for many , many years and it was bad ass. I now play a 78 P Bass that I wouldn't sell for anything. Besides doesn't most of the tone and playability come from the person playing the bass? A super nice bass isn't going to make a sucky bass player sound better, I should know. My Thunderbird gets very little play time.

I know, a lot of people swore by those basses, and I shouldn't diss anybody's gear. Thinking about it a bit more, what I remember from that time was all of the high-tech basses coming out, while people were dissing the Fender basses that came after the CBS acquisition. And maybe the Fenders had more lasting value than we expected at the time. It certainly says something that the J is one of the most often cloned basses.

I agree 100% with what you say about tone and playability.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:27 am

Hey, Supa! I went to the dreaded Guitar Center Saturday just to see what all the fuck was about. Guess what the first thing I saw as I walked in door was? You got it ... Geddy all the way, baby.

Anyway, I had to sit down and pluck it (not through an amp, mind you 'cause the place was a cacophony of hoser-riffage as it was), just so I could give you one hack's opinion.

Pretty nice bass. I'd say it's as solid (if not more so) than any Japanese-made Fender I've played (which is what it is). The neck is really nice and reminds me of my old '68 jazz I used to have (which but for a couple of dead spots on the neck was one sweet m-f), though it has the skunk stripe on the back (big whoop) and I couldn't tell if the block inlays were real inlays or just sort of painted on under the fretboard finish.

Anyway, nice bass but I get the sense it's slightly pricier than the average Japanese Jazz simply because it's a signature edition. If you can stand it, you might want to hop over to GC simply because they've got a shit-ton of J basses and you could sit and compare a few--see what the real difference is between the US-made and the others. My experience with the Japanese Fender stuff is that you just have to pick through 'em to find *the* one. Mind you, I'm not suggesting you buy from GC, but I don't know that I'd order a J-made Jazz sight unseen, s'all I'm sayin'.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:48 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:My experience with the Japanese Fender stuff is that you just have to pick through 'em to find *the* one. Mind you, I'm not suggesting you buy from GC, but I don't know that I'd order a J-made Jazz sight unseen, s'all I'm sayin'.

I'm a bad man.
I wear Nikes.
I eat animals.
I fornicate.
I drink and smoke.
I watch lots of TV.
I shop at Wal Mart and Guitar Center in the same day!
Bad to the bone baby.

I've seen and played that very same one at GC. It's dreamy. Seeing it in person and playing it only heightened my desire for Geddy-goodness. Tax return coming soon but I just don't know if I can quite justify buying another friggin' bass. I'd be up to 6 total - which is probably 5 more than I really need. I'd probably be better off investing in more lessons, but where's the funzo in that?

Mark my words though: This particular Fender bass is gonna be a classic someday.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:27 am

supaunknown wrote: ... I just don't know if I can quite justify buying another friggin' bass. I'd be up to 6 total - which is probably 5 more than I really need.

Shit, I had no idea. I wonder if I told my wife that if she'd let me get 2 more? Right ...

I'd probably be better off investing in more lessons, but where's the funzo in that?

Lessons, shmessons. Tell ya what, buy the bass and I'll teach you a mixolydian scale or some shit. Then you're good to geddy-up.

Seriously, I just play the dots and nobody seems to know the difference.

Heh.

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:16 pm

Being of the "Landed Gentry" (ie:a Homeowner) I have found it much to my liking to always have a guitar, or two, within easy reach.

Thus: One (well two actually) for the living room, one for the dining room, Three in the Bed room, plus the Bass...Excessive? Perhaps, but its My house too Dammit.

The practice room in the basement? None! Conditions there are decidedly unfavorable for the upkeep and well being of stringed instruments.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:24 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
supaunknown wrote: ... I just don't know if I can quite justify buying another friggin' bass. I'd be up to 6 total - which is probably 5 more than I really need.

Shit, I had no idea. I wonder if I told my wife that if she'd let me get 2 more? Right ...

Here's my inventory listed by quality & playability:

1) schmancy Ibanez
2) Frankenstein fretless

then everything kind of goes to shit ...

3) $41 Titan internet special
4) Ibanez on semi-permanent loan to a friend
5) $100 Ibanez

So, what I'm saying is that I've only got like 2 decent basses, and one of those is fretless, which implies that it's essentially hopeless ... and my decent Ibanez currently has a broken string, which basically means I that don't really have ANY basses right now. That's it! I can justify the Geddy Lee if I squint real hard.

Return to “Madison Music”