Is it so wrong that I want the Geddy Lee bass?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Geddy Lee bass?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:09 am

thumbs UP
79%
thumbs DOWN
21%

Total votes: 14

jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:59 pm

A Geddy sig Jazz bass?
Take off you hoser!
Don't go all Jaco on us.

Get the 4001. They are the best rock bass.
Geddy, Chris Squire, Mike Mills, Paul Siminon, Caithlin Demarrais, etc...
Need I say more?
Last edited by jammybastard on Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rush Sucks!

Postby supaunknown » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:59 pm

nutria wrote:So what is the deal with 5-strings being viewed as pretentious? That's something I've never really gotten. I don't particulary like 5-strings, but that's because I feel like the tension on the E and A strings feels a lot different, enough to bug me when I'm playing.

That, and the shorter span between the strings fucks me up. When I bought that cheap P-Bass-alike recently and tried playing a gig with it I had to constantly remind my fingers to reach just a bit further when goin' 1-5-8. 5+ string basses just don't feel natural to me. They feel like oversized guitars.

newlow
Forum Addict

CHEAP!

Postby newlow » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:04 pm

HElls Yeah!
$199! You could go all Paul Simonon on this nightly. Just keep a backup in the van. You guys are making that kinda money arent ya? I know we are...

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:22 pm

My next bass:

newlow
Forum Addict

Postby newlow » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:32 pm

nutria wrote:So what is the deal with 5-strings being viewed as pretentious? That's something I've never really gotten.

I think it was Me'Shell Ndegeocello or Stanley Clarke or some other bass God (Jamaaladeen Tacuma anyone?) who said master your four strings first. I just don't feel like I've mastered the standard yet... Unless you can blow me away on a four string, I think you're a dick if you put the five string on stage.

Just my snot-ball opinion.

Deitrich
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Deitrich » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:33 pm

I have a Squire Jazz bass I'm trying to unload. Not quite as sexy as block inlays and it's white.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:37 pm

newlow wrote:
nutria wrote:So what is the deal with 5-strings being viewed as pretentious? That's something I've never really gotten.

I think it was Me'Shell Ndegeocello or Stanley Clarke or some other bass God (Jamaaladeen Tacuma anyone?) who said master your four strings first. I just don't feel like I've mastered the standard yet... Unless you can blow me away on a four string, I think you're a dick if you put the five string on stage.

If you are a shitty bass player and you have five strings you look totally ridiculous, no question. Doubly so: goes for shitty guitar players with insanely expensive vintage gear.

I also think that it depends whether you play with a pick or not. I find five or six stings pretty easy to negotiate with a pick, and totally weird playing with fingers.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:29 pm

So long as you don't buy it from Guitar Center I'm all for it. Geddy Lee kicks ass don't feel pressured to kick as much after all his bass is probably a Masterbuilt thing Fender gave him that is 1000% nicer than what they sell everybody else

bobhemauer
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobhemauer » Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:31 pm

christopher_robin wrote:shitty guitar players with insanely expensive vintage gear.

I resemble that remark.

cattyr
Forum God/Goddess

Re: CHEAP!

Postby cattyr » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:48 pm

newlow wrote:Image
HElls Yeah!

I loves me the Batz-Maru! He's looking at me from the top of my hard drive as I post. (He's not too impressed though.) This is THE ONE.

spacetiki
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spacetiki » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:27 pm

From one playa' to anotha' I'd go w/ the 4001 Ric.
I sold mine in '91 to pay rent (I know, I know. I
was a punk ass 21 year old kid etc...) and have
regreted it ever since! Fretboard felt like I was
playing on glass. I'd almost trade my Tele for one........
... almost.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:42 pm

Old school for me...

lonesomejohnny
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lonesomejohnny » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:53 pm

christopher_robin wrote:
If you are a shitty bass player and you have five strings you look totally ridiculous, no question.

Same thing with fretless.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:42 am

christopher_robin wrote:
newlow wrote:

If you are a shitty bass player and you have five strings you look totally ridiculous, no question. Doubly so: goes for shitty guitar players with insanely expensive vintage gear.

I also think that it depends whether you play with a pick or not. I find five or six stings pretty easy to negotiate with a pick, and totally weird playing with fingers.

If you believe a fifth bass string is about technique and not sound then you shouldn't be a musician of any sort.

ww

Return to “Madison Music”