Is it so wrong that I want the Geddy Lee bass?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Geddy Lee bass?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:09 am

thumbs UP
79%
thumbs DOWN
21%

Total votes: 14

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Is it so wrong that I want the Geddy Lee bass?

Postby supaunknown » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:09 am

It's so purty! It may say Jazz on the headstock but that's a rock & roll bass if I've ever seen one. I want to hug it and sqweeze it and play it ... tell me about the rabbits Gorgo!

Really, if I got this would I also get endless 'Geddy' shit?
"Heh. Nice bass Geddy! Can you believe this motherplucker thinks he's freakin' Geddy Lee or something? Man, he sucks! Git off the stage fancy lad! Your mama's calling!"

Your opinions mean everything to me.

Last edited by supaunknown on Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:11 am

Just so long as you ain't jonesing for his voice... :wink:

supereightsnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supereightsnate » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:19 am

digibot had better learn "Tom Sawyer"

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:21 am

What's particularly "Geddy'd" about it? From the pic it looks like a standard J-bass...

As far as signature basses go, the Ibanez Doug Wimbish bass is pretty sweeet.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:01 pm

Yes. Totally and completely wrong.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:04 pm

NullDevice wrote:What's particularly "Geddy'd" about it? From the pic it looks like a standard J-bass...

As far as signature basses go, the Ibanez Doug Wimbish bass is pretty sweeet.

The Geddy bass' got a thinner neck (with huge Adam's apple). There are tasty fret markers on the topside of the neck too. Purchasing one also makes you an honorary citizen of Canada.

Was Doug Wimbish the guy from Living Colour? Where's Waldo? I like Ibanez basses a lot but his appears to have one too many strings on it:

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:10 pm

I thought Geddy played a Ric...or Am I just 24 years behind the times as per usual?

newlow
Forum Addict

Rush Sucks!

Postby newlow » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:22 pm

You know you want this:
I've been scheming on a double neck bass, one fretless and one freted. Thing might weigh a ton if I don't use some NASA materials tho...

What about a five string? Does that carry the same pretension? I'm sure Bruce Alford can kick the shit out of a 5 string. Is that why I'm afraid to sport one? I do love the drop D tuning... hmmm.

Get the bass if you likes. I think the Fender Jazz tone is pretty special. Don't know if this comes with unique p-ups or electronics. but the tone when you dig down into a jazz is SWEETNESS. You can always put a MotorPrimitives sticker across the headstock. Voila! No more pretension!

Had some recent misfortune with my 77 MusicMan and I gotta say that ErnieBall has some of the best customer service of any music company I have ever dealt with. So really you want a EBMM. Some guy on this board has a Stingray for sale, $1000 and it's yours. Also just saw a pretty sweet blonde Rick(ick!) that a guy is selling cheap here on the eastside.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:28 pm

Didn't he start playing one of those little box numbers without the pegs later in his career? You know, the ones that every fusion band has, a la Spyro Gyra or the Yellowjackets.

Hey, I've seen the Newport Jazz Festival on PBS.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:37 pm

A Peart-worshipping friend told me Geddy still appeases the hardcore Rush geeks by whipping out the Rickenbacker occasionally. Fender must have him under contract though.

That doubleneck bass causes my shoulder to hurt just looking at it. I've wanted a combo guitar/bass doubleneck thingy for a long time now but can never find one. There was one on EBay last month that looked like someone had spraypainted it in their backyard.

No doubt those Ernie Ball MMs are nice. A bit out of my self-imposed price range though. Plus, I ain't nearly funky enough.

Where's that Rick and how much?

Drivin' a Red Barchetta straight to your heart,
supa

Deitrich
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Deitrich » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:37 pm

Go for the Rickenbacker 4001 bass. Then you can learn the overature for 2112.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:39 pm

jjoyce wrote:Didn't he start playing one of those little box numbers without the pegs later in his career? You know, the ones that every fusion band has, a la Spyro Gyra or the Yellowjackets.

A Steinberger. Mmm ... berger.

nutria
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rush Sucks!

Postby nutria » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:46 pm

I say, if you likes it, supa, absolutely go get it. I've a J-bass come into and out of my life, and it kicked ass. Played real nice, and nice clear tone. Good stuff, IMHO. I haven't played this particular model before though, so personally, I'd be a little hesitant about having a thinner neck, but that is certainly my personal preferance.

newlow wrote:What about a five string? Does that carry the same pretension?

So what is the deal with 5-strings being viewed as pretentious? That's something I've never really gotten. I don't particulary like 5-strings, but that's because I feel like the tension on the E and A strings feels a lot different, enough to bug me when I'm playing.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:48 pm

Deitrich wrote:Go for the Rickenbacker 4001 bass. Then you can learn the overature for 2112.

The 2nd bass I owned was a 4001 that I bought from Imminent Attack's former bass player, Mike. It was super cool but honestly didn't play that well (and either did I). Needed a fret job, plus, if you've ever played one of those you know there's a bunch of sharpish protuberances competing for the attention of your plucking hand. I traded it, which I totally regret to this day.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:51 pm

Dude. You're amazing.

I find myself playing cheaper and smaller basses all the time, and it turns out the cheaper/smaller a bass is, the happier I am.

I'm the same way with my women.

--nt--

Return to “Madison Music”