An idea to raise some MAMA dollas... VOTE!!!!!

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Who do you want to see in the dunk tank besides Jason, the Dentist and me?

The Mayor
38%
Brenda Konkel
12%
Chuck_Schick
8%
Blunt
4%
BobArctor AKA JackClubb
No votes
harrissimo
No votes
Ira Sharenow
27%
Wiggie
12%

Total votes: 26

Mr. Blues

Postby Mr. Blues » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:56 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:Even Bill Gates gets in front of the camera now and again to talk about his foundation. It's called PR.

Right you are Chuck:

Mr. Blues

Postby Mr. Blues » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:40 pm

bump

Sheppy
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sheppy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:16 am

Are those emails from the mayor himself? If so, damn. You'd think he'd have at least an intern to field cold emails. He probably gets 50,000 a day.
Surely he doesn't answer each one personally. He hasa major American city to run! It's kinda scary.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:27 am

Sheppy wrote:Are those emails from the mayor himself? If so, damn. You'd think he'd have at least an intern to field cold emails. He probably gets 50,000 a day.
Surely he doesn't answer each one personally. He hasa major American city to run! It's kinda scary.

The Mayor has an assistant that filters his email, but once through the human filter he will reply to you.

I needed to get through to him recently so I called his office, explained the situation, sent the email, and he responded well within the timeframe.

Kind of impressive, really. I couldn't get a number of local chefs to work with me on the same project, but the Mayor came through.

bobbyray
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bobbyray » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:37 am

Here's an idea: How about if Isthmus charges people 5 bucks to vote in these silly forum polls, then donates the proceeds to school music programs?

Mr. Blues

Postby Mr. Blues » Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:42 am

Sheppy wrote:Are those emails from the mayor himself? If so, damn. You'd think he'd have at least an intern to field cold emails. He probably gets 50,000 a day.

I do not know to a certainty that those e-mails are from the mayor himself, but they certainly appear to be.

While I am personally disgusted that the elected leader of this community can so cavalierly turn his back on the most vulnerable members of our community, I am impressed that he responded in an extremely timely manner.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:48 pm

Mr. Blues wrote:While I am personally disgusted that the elected leader of this community can so cavalierly turn his back on the most vulnerable members of our community ...

Wait a minute. Young musicians are the most vulnerable members of our community?

Oh wait ...

* thinks back to junior high *

Yeah, maybe they are.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:53 pm

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but righteous indignation just doesn't suit some people.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:04 pm

jjoyce wrote:I don't know, maybe it's just me, but righteous indignation just doesn't suit some people.

Well I never! Of all the nerve!

I really thought the 'vulnerable' he referred to were bartenders & tavern owners. Children? Feh! They're nearly indestructable compared with my fizzled mind & creaky bod.

Mr. Blues

Postby Mr. Blues » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:04 pm

Chuck_Schick wrote:
Mr. Blues wrote:While I am personally disgusted that the elected leader of this community can so cavalierly turn his back on the most vulnerable members of our community ...

Wait a minute. Young musicians are the most vulnerable members of our community?

Oh wait ...

* thinks back to junior high *

Yeah, maybe they are.

I meant children in general, and more specifically children with parents that can't afford private schools or music lessons. I have some experience in these matters. Among other things, prior to my death I was elected to 3 school board terms back home. Music programs do make a big difference in the lives of some of these kids. I've seen kids who were sure bets to drop out of school get their hands on an instrument and start getting good grades and staying out of trouble. Granted this isn't a universal solution to the problems these kids face and the consequences for society, but if it causes one kid to grow up with a sax in his mouth instead of a crack pipe, I'm for it.

Music is as essential to the human spirit as food air and water are to the human body.

It is the government's responsibility to provide quality education. They constantly drop the ball on that one. Obviously they have placed a higher priority on other things. Now there are some private citizens who have endeavored to pick up that ball and run with it, which is a very good thing. I asked the Mayor for help. He refused. I find this unconscionable. I did not ask him to increase the budget, I did not ask him to write a check; I merely asked him for an hour of his time. He obviously has higher priorities.

I'm willing to put my ass where my mouth is and get into that tank, as are you, Jake and Jason. There are others I'm working on. If the 4 of us can go beyond talking the talk and walk the walk - or in this case dunk the dunk - why can't our so-called leader?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:06 pm

Sidenote: GOP barking dog Mike Huebsch likes to refer to senior citizens as our society's most vulnerable. I don't know how a) they feel about this and b) he can justify this when there are actually babies with AIDS born to homeless crack-addicted mothers.

Mr. Blues

Postby Mr. Blues » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:07 pm

jjoyce wrote:I don't know, maybe it's just me, but righteous indignation just doesn't suit some people.

Niggah please! Righteous Indignation and me go way back.

Mr. Blues

Postby Mr. Blues » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:08 pm

jjoyce wrote:Sidenote: GOP barking dog Mike Huebsch likes to refer to senior citizens as our society's most vulnerable. I don't know how a) they feel about this and b) he can justify this when there are actually babies with AIDS born to homeless crack-addicted mothers.

If I understand your position correctly I could not possible agree more!

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:21 pm

Blues, You're way off on this for any number of reasons. But the most obvious include the following:

- Taking part in an event where money will be raised as the direct result of advocating to people's dislike of the guy isn't very attractive.
- You have no venue, date or time for this event, if it even is an event. Should we talk about the marketing?
- You haven't specified the cause. Is it the MAMAs or some fund for music in the schools? Because what if the event ends up losing money or something like that? That wouldn't be very politically prudent.
- The mayor's office has no jurisdiction over the schools, their funding priorities or arts education.
- The mayor has a lot of demands on his time.
- Many would argue that climbing into a dunk tank isn't very mayoral.
- You're the one asking him.

Chuck_Schick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Chuck_Schick » Fri Nov 04, 2005 1:30 pm

Mr. Blues wrote:Music programs do make a big difference in the lives of some of these kids. I've seen kids who were sure bets to drop out of school get their hands on an instrument and start getting good grades and staying out of trouble.

I'm standing in the choir right behind your pulpit on this one, Blues. If it hadn't been for jazz band in high school and a cool director who let us sign-in to escape study hall and use the band room and gear to make our own brand of hideous noise after school (I mean, seriously, how many teachers tell you to just lock it up when you leave?) ... well, I'd probably be stealing your car stereo right now instead of whatever it is I'm being paid to do.

Return to “Madison Music”