Dolly or Tormentula?

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Which to attend?

Poll ended at Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:46 pm

Dolly
54%
Tormentula
46%

Total votes: 13

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Dolly or Tormentula?

Postby jjoyce » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:46 pm

Dolly's at the Alliant Energy Center, Tormentula's at the High Noon, albeit two hours later.

Anybody going to both?

SIZZAW
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SIZZAW » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:03 pm

Hmmmm.

One's top heavy, one's bottom heavy. Call that a draw (depending on your preference).

One wears carefully coordinated costumes and stage gear, the other does the same but differently. Draw.

One costs appreciably more money than the other. Plus for Tormentula.

Neither artist plays in town very often, another draw.

Dolly will dine on the finest catering available, Tormentula will eat Glass Nickel Pizza. Check for Dolly.

Both venues will be smoke free. Draw.

Beer may be cheaper at the High Noon, one for Tormentula.

Boy, it's a tough call. I'd go to both if I weren't out of town all weekend. Maybe Dolly will come and rock with Tormentula afterwards? Who doesn't want to hear Jolene Tormentula style?

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:11 pm

Alliant what th'Fuck?
Tormentula of course (execpt I'm flat BROKE! :x )
part of the set should be with Corrina and the next part with Chips .
There could even be a duet or dueling leads...I've heard rumors.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:55 pm

For me the really tough decision come on November 13th when it Bob Mould at HNS vs. Atmosphere at the Orpheum. Why do two of my favorite MN musicians have to play on the same night? So cruel.
Will probably go with Bob as it's a smaller venue, I have seen Slug a lot the last few years and I hear Mould's set will be liberally sprinkled with Husker nuggets.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:01 pm

actually i think when bob comes here he's solo acoustic, or maybe solo electric. not saying he won't be doing husker songs, but it's not the full band thing that was getting raves last month... i think.

charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:09 pm

depinmad wrote:actually i think when bob comes here he's solo acoustic, or maybe solo electric. not saying he won't be doing husker songs, but it's not the full band thing that was getting raves last month... i think.

Really that's too bad. Someone at a bar last weekend (details are hazy, damn you Jameson Irish Whiskey!) told me he was coming with a full band and is doing lots of HD material. Maybe they confused with these shows last month that are apparently getting rave reviews.
So that throws me back into indecision.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:19 pm

bob's got a weblog and i was reading it this morning. a few days ago he was talking about decompressing from the band tour this week and getting ready for some solo shows. that's all i'm basing this on.
i hope it's with the band, too.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:21 pm

sorry, here it is. sounds solo.

Wednesday, October 19, 2005
Solo Dates In November
The decompression after a tour is never easy. It won't last for long, however, as there are a number of solo dates coming up this Winter. This past Summer, I performed a solo electric show in St. Paul, and enjoyed the simplicity of playing all the songs on the Strat. I've toured with my Yamaha 12-string acoustic for 14 years, but I might be leaving it at home for the next series of shows.

The American dates are located here. There's a date in Morgantown WV on November 10 as well - it should be added to the list sometime this week. No European solo dates are confirmed.

This week, I'll begin sorting through the audio and video recordings from the October 7 DC show. We had a good little band there for a moment.

Thanks to everyone who sent e-mails and kind thoughts over the past 6 weeks. I hope to get caught up with responses in the next few weeks

Return to “Madison Music”