The Graham Nash concert last Saturday

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.
Cadfael
Forum God/Goddess

The Graham Nash concert last Saturday

Postby Cadfael » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:34 am

It was fortunate I had a parking spot available through a friend. The badger game was just getting out, the Public Broadcasting fundraising gala was in the main Overture theater while Nash was in the Capitol Theater, looked like several shows on and around State Street, and it was just a crazy Saturday night on State Street.

I forgot what the acoustics are like in that theater. We could hear everything, perfectly. Two guys with guitars, and they filled the air.

Nash is 75. His voice is still clear as a bell. Maybe not quite as powerful as in the seventies but wow. He played mostly his own stuff, a couple of Beatles tunes, Stills' four and twenty, and something else I can't remember. I was hoping he'd do Teach Your Children and that was his final tune. Everybody sing along.

The crowd was a lot younger than I thought. Boomers, millenials, Xers, high schoolers, it was great. He said hi to a couple of sixteen year olds in the front row and at the end of Teach Your Children he went up to the edge of the stage and gave them each a guitar pick.

When CSNY was in England, on their day off the guy rented a 1928 Rolls with a driver, dropped acid and laid down in the grass in the middle of Stonehenge for a couple hours, then went to Winchester Cathedral and stumbled on the grave of the soldier who died in 1799. And then wrote Cathedral.

That was one of the best concerts I've been to in years. And I had to have a friend talk me into it.

john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Graham Nash concert last Saturday

Postby john_titor » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Thanks for the write-up!

david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:18 pm

It was phenomenal, and some of his new material is pretty damn up to par:) Shane Fontaine covered every base on guitar, nailing the tones and sound intricacies of the originals with his own flavors. Nash was in very good form and reminded me that he is still a great folksinger at his core. It was worth the money to sit up close and such a kick to see our 20 yr old knowing the words to all the songs and exclaiming afterwards that the message is STILL RELEVANT after almost 40 years. "Sleep Song", from his first solo LP Songs For Beginners, alone, was worth the price of admission.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:39 pm

Cadfael wrote:I was hoping he'd do Teach Your Children and that was his final tune.

Sorry, I can't help but think of this classic gag:

I got to use this joke earlier this week too when a buddy brought over his deluxe Purple Rain reissue which has a live show from 1985 as a bonus disc.
"Purple Rain" was the second encore, natch.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:51 pm

Andy Williams is amazing and I look forward to your reviews in the listening project circa 2023.

Return to “Madison Music”