Posted Hours

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Posted Hours

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:57 am

I'm always excited to see a restaurant advertise dinner until 10PM on weekdays. That extra hour above the norm (in Madison) just makes a night out for curfew-less adults so much more relaxed and unhurried. To show up and find a place open and welcoming during their posted hours is just fantastic. For a good example of this I give you:

The Spot 827 E. Johnson in the old Mildreds space. My new favorite place in town. Great space, great service, great food. They say they're open till 10:00, and in my 4 times there they have meant it.

And now for something completely different:

Crandalls 334 State st. Posted hours of 11am-10pm mon-sat.
When four hungry people set out last night at 8:30, paid to park in the ramp and hiked 3 blocks in the bitter cold to find the door locked and the lights off, you make a mental note to never come back.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Posted Hours

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:26 pm

Add to that the Innkeeper's Grace Period which obligates one to seat customers up to 10 minutes past the stated closing time.

People notice and will remember.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:40 pm

fennel wrote:Add to that the Innkeeper's Grace Period which obligates one to seat customers up to 10 minutes past the stated closing time.

Surely that doesn't obligate the staff to like it, though. Maybe it's because I used to work in a restaurant, but I don't like to show up somewhere less than 1/2 hour from close, preferably an hour. I know this is being pretty conservative, but I can't help it-- one of the line cooks where I used to work would routinely throw shit across the kitchen when a table would come in "late," and I can't shake that image. He had problems.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:23 pm

As a waiter, I hated it. But I made my peace with it and eventually decided it was a good thing.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:14 pm

I would never go to a restaurant minutes before closing and expect them to stay open later because I'm not a sociopath.

That action is one of several bad customer behaviors featured in the movie "Waiting."

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:51 pm

massimo wrote:I don't like to show up somewhere less than 1/2 hour from close, preferably an hour.

This is exactly how I feel, and the main reason I search for places open past 9:00. More often than not, my group is ready to eat in the 8:30-9:00 area and I won't walk in close to close.

I don't walk in late, I don't send food back, and I never ask a server if something is "good". My friends do this constantly and I think maybe twice in 10 years the answer has been something other than "yes".

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:05 pm

Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

WillyStMadMan

Postby WillyStMadMan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:13 am

I tend to agree with not heading into a place shortly before close.
From a business perspective, you should want to serve your guests until your posted close time.
I work at a restaurant and we've had folks stroll in three minutes before close.
Of course we look at each other...
But it's not a 'Waiting" situation here.
I bet that's not the case everywhere.
Not gpnna say where, but called some place for lunch about a half hour before they stopped serving until dinner.
A few of us ordered...right until I heard "We'll try to rush your order, we are closing soon."
Ok. I'm good on that. Canceled my order and a second person did as well...they were left with one order whereas they had three on the hook.
Easily $50 dropped $12 based on a simple statement.
A non-corporate establishment, I can understand opening a couple minutes late.
Can't understand pressuring people to get you out of work earlier.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”