Madison Restaurant Week

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Madison Restaurant Week

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Jan. 22-27. Many repeats with a few new places (even Smoky's). Not all menus are up yet.

http://www.madisonmagazine.com/Madison- ... nter-2012/

kimm
Forum Addict

Re: Madison Restaurant Week

Postby kimm » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:12 pm

Sounds like a great time to try Steenbock's. And a good time to catch up with my now-retired coworkers where we said "let's grab lunch."

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:18 pm

We'd like to but we haven't quite got our disposable income back on track with that pay cut we took so we have to skip it this year.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:30 pm

Usually we go to a lunch and one or two dinners. I'm retired, so Scotty's law hasn't greatly affected me (yet), but Ms Vilas is taking a huge cut. So we might go to a lunch or a dinner, but probably only one.

I think places like Smoky's have been hurting because people aren't going out as much. That's why they not only joined up with restaurant week for the first time, but also have their initial coupon in the Bucky Book. It's for twenty dollars off the second dinner.

lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:39 pm

Henry, you are so right. We've cut way back, and Scooter is the reason why. Normally for my birthday we'd have hit one of the pricier places; I was hoping for Nostranos. Instead we had burgers at a local tavern. Used to do breakfast at the Old Fashioned or El Dorado 2 or 3 Sundays a month; that's not happening any more. Friday nights were our regular night out - we've cut back to maybe once a month. Hell, I've even stopped buying good coffee and started drinking the swill at work.

I'd be curious to find out what local restaurants are seeing in regards to business. While those of us who are public employees aren't the only ones in Dane County, there are enough of us that I'd bet the local economy is hurting.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:46 pm

It's affected our choices too. I simply cannot believe that this has not had an impact on Dane County's ecomony, especially restaurants. The (lengthy) list is quite telling - Smokeys, Ruth's Chris? Have they participated before?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:59 pm

Ruth's Chris has participated more than once before. First time for Smoky's.

Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:21 pm

After the Act 10 "Budget Repair Bill" our restaurant dining has been restricted to buy-one-get-one-free Subway 6 inch subs or Macd's "scooter special" $1.00 menu.

Fortunately, both of us try to be good at-home cooks.

kimm
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:50 pm

I hadn't realized just how much we cut back on dining out until I was offered a gift certificate to a restaurant of my choice as a gift. I'm so out of the dining-out loop around here. It's just not even much of a thought to eat out anymore unless it's for a birthday or other special occassion.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:09 am

Henry Vilas wrote:I think places like Smoky's have been hurting because people aren't going out as much. That's why they not only joined up with restaurant week for the first time, but also have their initial coupon in the Bucky Book. It's for twenty dollars off the second dinner.

Since I wrote the above, 77 Square (madison.com) published this article:
Local steak houses ride out the recession with new deals and a nostalgic atmosphere

Some promotions work better than others for developing a loyal customer base. Smoky’s Club put a coupon in the Bucky Book, but might not do it again.

“We have had a lot of response with that, but you give away $20 worth of food every time they come in,” Schmock said. “How many coupon things can you do before you don’t have any money coming in?”

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”