? good/best place for T-giving dinner "out" ?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Big_Sister

? good/best place for T-giving dinner "out" ?

Postby Big_Sister » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Seeking advice:

Where is a/the good/best place for Thanksgiving dinner "out" in Madison?

Suffice to say it is evolving as an exceptionally anarchic year in the extended family department, and I want info in mind just in case this might be the best option.

I'm asking because in all my decades here I've never gone out for Thanksgiving dinner.

Thanks!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: ? good/best place for T-giving dinner "out" ?

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:21 pm

I have the same question. And one of our party is a veggie. Any options with a traditional turkey dinner that also has enough choices for a vegetarian? A buffet maybe?

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:25 pm

I have had a pleasant Thanksgiving dining experience at Coachman's Restaurant, east of Stoughton on Hwy 51.

They always have a great buffet any time of the year, as far as buffets go. On Thanksgiving you have options if you want the trad. turkey and mashed potatoes or a vegetarian dinner. My mom had a beautiful veggie terrine for turkey day.

Another plus about them is that they take groups large or small.
I'm not affiliated with them, but have recommend them before on the forum. It's a local place for me. Oh yeah, everything's made from scratch too ... and it's yummy, and I'm picky about quality.

Take a scenic drive down to Stoughton on turkey day. You can even window shop on Main Street and work off that meal!

Full Thanksgiving menu is available on their event calendar:
http://www.coachmans.com/golf/calendar/display_calendar.php

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:07 pm

I seem to recall a member of the staff from the Concourse posting here in a previous year to mention some sort of holiday meal in their restaurant.

I'd imagine they'd do a rather good job with that sort of thing.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:29 pm

I know a couple who dine at Essen Haus each year. I don't know about vegetarian options they may have.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:11 pm

old feed mill has a really really really tasty buffet which meets all my thanksgiving needs and then some. we usually go for a not too late lunch... i'm not sure how late they serve.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:16 pm

Maybe you can find something on this list:

http://host.madison.com/entertainment/d ... 03286.html

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:31 pm

I can't remember whether they have a limited menu, buffet or what, but one year we ended up at the downtown Great Dane. It was an exceptionally cold, crappy day (and our water main had broken suddenly), so having a tasty, hot meal was heaven. It wasn't too crowded, either.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:22 pm

I went to the Fitchburg Great Dane with my brother and sister, and was very pleased with the buffet. I'd definitely recommend it for anyone not wanting to cook next T-giving.

My brother went nutso over the shrimp, I think he had a few dozen of them. The Cajun fried turkey was pretty tasty too, IMO. They had excellent prime rib, and a fair selection of vegetable dishes. The only thing that wasn't great was the cheese hash browns. They had a pretty good dessert selection too--I skipped pie and had some apple crisp instead.

I hope my fellow forons had a good Thanksgiving, and got to watch the Packers go 11-0!

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”