LaRocca's moving to Oregon

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
kulgar
Forum Addict

LaRocca's moving to Oregon

Postby kulgar » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:58 pm

I have no clue if it's the after effect of the construction on Willy St or the undeserving rave reviews that Roman Candle gets, but LaRocca's has a "Restaurant for Rent" sign out front.

Vito said that he's moving the restaurant early next year to Oregon which is closer to where they live. I've been missing those slices ever since he quit serving lunch but will make the pilgrimage to Oregon when I need the fix.

Still a couple months to patronize the Willy St location for dinner.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: LaRocca's moving to Oregon

Postby fennel » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:54 pm

kulgar wrote:Vito said that he's moving the restaurant early next year to Oregon which is closer to where they live. I've been missing those slices ever since he quit serving lunch but will make the pilgrimage to Oregon when I need the fix.
I puzzled over this for a moment and then remembered there's a village by the name of Oregon in the state of Wisconsin. It's like Paris, I guess. It doesn't usually imply Texas unless it happens to be the next town over.

They probably will fare better in the village of Oregon than Madison. LaRocca's always struck me as a family-ambience sort of restaurant, rather than a food restaurant.

But it's a tough business, especially for a family-run operation. They have to deal with ephemeral food trends, as well as the never-ending effluent of advice from restaurant trade mags.

My wish for them is that they do a little bushwacking. The love is out there. They just need to raise their mast.

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:13 am

Maria's will have some tough competition.

This tidbit of news makes me very, very happy! La Rocca's is prob my fav pizza in Madison, but I always seem to catch them when they are closed. Unlike Ian's, which is almost always open. My love of Page Street pizza in Stoughton has faded, I think they changed a lot from their original pizza when they first opened.

Oh, yeah, I have to also recommend JL Richards for anyone coming to Oregon for a visit.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:39 am

Page Street Pizza has, I believe, closed--so you don't have them to kick around anymore. (Kidding.) But the Maria's v. La Rocca's intrigue is astutely observed.

Between La Rocca's, Wis-Tex BBQ, and the Alpine Liquors expansion (I was told they plan to add a second location, in the former Oregon Video space, to their current Sprecher/Cottage Grove storefront), it appears the Oregon-Stoughton corridor is becoming fertile ground for food and drink.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:12 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Page Street Pizza has, I believe, closed--so you don't have them to kick around anymore. (Kidding.) But the Maria's v. La Rocca's intrigue is astutely observed.

Page Street did close a few months ago.

Maria's is gonna be a tough one to beat in Oregon.

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:23 pm

Thanks for confirming my suspicion of the demise of Page Street. It looked dark over there recently when I drove by, but I had stopped ordering a while ago. It was so good in the beginning. They had the best dough bubbles on their small 10-inchers. RIP Page Street pizza.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:02 pm

So sad! Makes me pine for One Wheel Wednesdays, when a bunch of unruly sportbikers would converge on Escape to watch movies on the west wall of the parking lot as we downed lattes and La Rocca's takeout.

evansvillehousewife
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evansvillehousewife » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:42 am

Marias is OK as long as you like sausage, pepperoni, or anchovies. Their vegetable toppings are disgusting. I have gotten rotten mushrooms and green peppers. Bill's grocery is right up the street, there is no excuse.

Plus the service at Maria's is A-1 Surly.

kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby kittenwithawhip » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:38 pm

kulgar wrote:I have no clue if it's the after effect of the construction on Willy St or the undeserving rave reviews that Roman Candle gets, but LaRocca's has a "Restaurant for Rent" sign out front.

Vito said that he's moving the restaurant early next year to Oregon which is closer to where they live. I've been missing those slices ever since he quit serving lunch but will make the pilgrimage to Oregon when I need the fix.

Still a couple months to patronize the Willy St location for dinner.

NOOOOOOO! Will they still bring pizza to my house? There goes Friday Night 'za by the fire.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:46 pm

I visited La Rocca's not long after it opened, and I mainly recall that I wasn't wild about the decor. I seem to remember a drop ceiling and a loudly humming Pepsi cooler.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:18 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I visited La Rocca's not long after it opened, and I mainly recall that I wasn't wild about the decor. I seem to remember a drop ceiling and a loudly humming Pepsi cooler.

Who cares? The stuffed pizza is to die for.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:23 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Kenneth Burns wrote:I visited La Rocca's not long after it opened, and I mainly recall that I wasn't wild about the decor. I seem to remember a drop ceiling and a loudly humming Pepsi cooler.

Clearly.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:02 am

fennel wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:

Clearly.

If I'm on my death bed, their "Great" stuffed pie is what I'm ordering.

kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby kittenwithawhip » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:04 am

Altho I have no problem with the decor if the food is truly good, one of the great design perks of pizza is that it's wonderfully portable. They even have little boxes made especially for them! If you don't like the decor, get it to go. Or have them bring it to your house for a nice tip.

My goodness, what you have missed! Poor you.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:35 am

We haven't been there for a while now, just by coincidence, but we've eaten there several times and liked it. There are tables I'd prefer not to have because they're on the wait staff's traffic routes or too close to the door, but otherwise we thought the decor was pretty standard. What's bad about a drop ceiling?

I also get easily annoyed by loud humming equipment so I figure that must have been fixed by the time we showed up cause I never noticed it even when we were the only customers in the shop at the time.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”