Delivery Pizza

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
iwiw99
Forum Addict

Delivery Pizza

Postby iwiw99 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:53 am

Wow, that's 3 Glass Nickels and 1 Roman Candle pizza delivered in the last 2 weeks. What a pile of soggy, stingy, soulless expensive piles of crap. Twenty bucks, tax and tip for this? Looking at the pizza box this morning, I can imagine them laughing around the phone saying "he ordered AGAIN". Don't I remember decent takeout from these two? What am I missing? Where am I missing? On a side note, I ordered fries from Glass Nickel, probably subconsciously planning on being hungry. They came greasy, 1/3 cooked and had to be put in the oven for 30 minutes to finish them.
Never again I promise.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Delivery Pizza

Postby Crockett » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:22 am

Every time I see a Glass Nickel or Roman Candle delivery car I'm amazed. In fact, if we're with friends and they suggest ordering pizza from either place I lose some respect for their tastes.

The fact that Glass Nickel is consistently rated highly by this community is not a sign of food maturity.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:50 am

In fact, if we're with friends and they suggest ordering pizza from either place I lose some respect for their tastes.

Any particulars you'd like to share beyond the superior feeling of hating what other people like?

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:14 am

fisticuffs wrote:
In fact, if we're with friends and they suggest ordering pizza from either place I lose some respect for their tastes.

Any particulars you'd like to share beyond the superior feeling of hating what other people like?

I'm guilty of that sometimes, but not this time. As for their pizza, if you have to ask for particulars...

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:16 am

Crockett wrote:Every time I see a Glass Nickel or Roman Candle delivery car I'm amazed. In fact, if we're with friends and they suggest ordering pizza from either place I lose some respect for their tastes.

I am surprised you have friends at all.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:39 am

Time for a new "Pizza in Madison thread"? Swell.

There is no good New York style pizza here so lets get that out of the way right now.

My experience with Glass Nickel is you have to order it crispy or well done. Its probably always a good idea to order delivery pizza crispy, at least for my tastes. Never had Roman Candle delivered but have had good pizza at their shop.

CoffeeJones

Postby CoffeeJones » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:14 am

So, if neither of these places suits your tastes, where does?

iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:18 am

All I want is something like Pavlov's used to be, delivered.

CoffeeJones

Postby CoffeeJones » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:42 am

iwiw99 wrote:All I want is something like Pavlov's used to be, delivered.

So, basically, there is no good pizza available for delivery in Madison?

iwiw99
Forum Addict

Postby iwiw99 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:50 am

I guess so. I always thought there was a business opportunity for someone with his recipes/style after they closed.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:56 am

The last delivery pizza I had was from La Bellitalia. It was very good.

As a general rule I've always done carry-out as opposed to delivery. Call in the order and pick it up 20 minutes later and you rarely have to worry about it sitting for half an hour more and getting soggy. I've done this without any problems at Falbo's in Middleton and Picasso's in Fitchburg as well as the Roman Candles in both locations.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:20 am

Falbo's and Rosati's are edible.

kulgar
Forum Addict

La Rocca's, Cafe La Bellitalia

Postby kulgar » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:23 am

La Rocca's delivers in the evening (although not until 3AM) and the pizza is far superior to the others mentioned previously.

Just had Cafe La Bellitalia pizza for the first time last week, the Sicilian was very, very good. Vito LaRocca recommended the place and since he's not open for lunch, we had to fly to get it.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:26 am

Falbo's and Rosati's are edible.

Funny whenever friends of mine suggest either of those I lose respect for them. Really though? Falbo's and Rosati's are OK and Glass Nickel isn't? Can we drop the attitude and realize people just have different tastes? I for one would take the Nickel over both of those any day. in fact Falbo's may be at or near the bottom of my list.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:47 am

Rossi's. Cafe La Bellitalia. Roman Candle. My top three*, in that order.

*Bear in mind this list is heavily, though not entirely influenced by where I live. To criticize someone on the type of pizza he or she prefers to have delivered to his or her home is the height of assholishness.
Last edited by TheBookPolice on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”