Nile, Odana Road

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Nile, Odana Road

Postby msnflyer » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:03 pm

The former chef of Lulu's has opened his own place on Odana Road. It's in the little mall at the intersection of Odana and Research Park, former Indian restaurant.

Went for lunch with 2 companions on Friday. Open interior with tables and booths, carpets on the floor, and the same type of red with metallic embroidery table coverings that were used at Lulu's.

The lentil spinach soup is the same recipe (hooray!) as is the hummus. Pita bread is much better, more rustic and less factory looking than I was used to. Beef swirama plate had generous portions. Beef kabob and rice was well seasoned but could have used more than one piece of grilled onion. Veggie lunch plate with baba ganoush, hummus, tabbouleh, and falafel was also very good. We were happy that we found another outlet for tasty Med style food.

They're open for lunch and dinner, have delivery and carryout. There was a good turnout for lunch on Friday, service was good but a bit rushed as 2 servers were covering the tables and door. Our server wasn't sure what a couple of the entrees were, a big failing IMO. You should know what you're selling/serving.

Beer and wine are available. I'll be going back for the Egyptian lentil soup, my favorite.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Nile, Odana Road

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:51 pm

msnflyer wrote:The former chef of Lulu's has opened his own place on Odana Road. It's in the little mall at the intersection of Odana and Research Park, former Indian restaurant.

More than one Indian restaurant occupied that space, but failed. Unfortunately, the location is not visible from the street. I hope they can make.

persia
Forum Addict

Postby persia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Interesting, so Indian Darbar is no more? You really need a score card to keep track of the restaurant scene...

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:14 pm

persia wrote:Interesting, so Indian Darbar is no more? You really need a score card to keep track of the restaurant scene...

It's gotta be hard to survive in the exosphere of those regions. I suppose there is some foot traffic, but probably not much.

persia
Forum Addict

Postby persia » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Actually it was, as far as I can remember, Indian Gardens, Indian Darbar, Curry in a Hurry, Turmeric (briefly) and now Nile. The phone number remained the same indicating that the restaurants either changed hands or name or both rather than closing...

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:33 am

What's the name of the new place on Odana? Nile? Is there a website?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:21 pm

The "Curry in a Hurry" that used to be near campus made some damn tasty, inexpensive food. Wonder if they reopened somewhere after their stint in the Bermuda Triangle location on Odana.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:20 pm

It was Spice 'n' Curry, not Curry in a Hurry, that used to be located at the above mentioned Odana Road location.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:25 pm

As Henry noted, Spice and Curry was the restaurant that became Turmeric, that gave way to Nile.

Curry 'n' Hurry from University Square became Curry in the Box in Fitchburg. They are still operating, as far as I know.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks, have to check and see if "Curry in a Box" still has the good stuff. I imagine somebody somewhere has the "Curry in a Hurry" name trademarked, and they lowered the boom.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Curry in the Box is still as good as ever. They also added a dining room though I still mostly go the take-out route when I'm out that way.

A coworker that was a Lulu's regular gave me a glowing recommendation for Nile. If I'm on Odana it's usually because of La Mestiza but I'll keep this place in mind next time.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:20 pm

I've already made two forays to Curry in a Box.
The old "Curry in a Hurry' was owned by an Indian family, and the new ownership appears Southeast Asian (that should cover my bases.) It is mostly Thai food now, with a handful of recipes culled from "Curry in a Hurry". Plus some Chinese food.

I had Lamb Curry, and Chicken Masala. Both were great, they obviously have a good chef and the old magic recipes. The lentil soup was great. The Samosa was unIndian, but pretty good.

My quibble is that the portions are marginal, smaller than before. You get a small bowl of the curried goodies. Plus, oddly, you get only one tantalizing wafer of the super thin, crispy bread.

Maybe I shouldn't complain about the portions, I certainly don't need to eat one more bite than they gave me. It's probably a decent portion for most people. Without any appetizers, I could easily chow down two of their dinners. Wait, I'm being modest, I could eat two dinners plus an appetizer.

CroneCarol

Postby CroneCarol » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:15 pm

Worst meal I have ever had in Madison. Most dishes were inedible and the waiter told us it was not his fault - the cook is off on Monday. He went on to say that IF we came back NOT to come on a Monday.
Having lived in North Africa and in Mediterranean countries, I need to mention that Madison has some excellent Middle Eastern restaurants. Nile is not one of them. The vegetables were all overcooked, unspiced and bland. The grilled lamb was overcooked and lacked flavor. The Spinach salad was so soaked in vinegar that it was inedible.
Go Shish!

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:37 am

CC, I wouldn't completely condemn the place based on a day when the cook was gone.

But it certainly is a damning incident. Restaraunts can't afford to serve any bad meals, most customers don't give second chances.

NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Funny you mention Shish, because I had one of the worst meals of my life *there* once. It's rare that I've ever had a halibut that was both burnt *and* frozen. And then I cut my lip on a chipped water glass.

I try not to let it overly color my opinion. Everybody tells me it's great.

Most restaurants just stay closed on the chef's day off. Dunno why they didn't.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”