best burger in madison??

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
TraceInStoughton

Re: best burger in madison??

Postby TraceInStoughton » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:32 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I admire the Old Fashioned's eggburger but always feel overwhelmed after I've eaten one.

Dare I ask? What is an "eggburger"? It doesn't sound good.

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:15 am

TraceInStoughton wrote:Dare I ask? What is an "eggburger"? It doesn't sound good.

Burger with a fried egg on top of it. It's an artery-narrowing, sloppy mess of delicious.

paulie
Forum Addict

Postby paulie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Petro wrote:
either of the fantastic V-Burgers at Brasserie V

This.

If I had to die today, the V Burger and an order of frites from Brasserie V would be my last meal.

Are we separating french fries from frites? Or are we considering them the same thing?

Either way, Brasserie V has the best ones in town IMO.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:50 pm

Petro wrote:
TraceInStoughton wrote:Dare I ask? What is an "eggburger"? It doesn't sound good.

Burger with a fried egg on top of it. It's an artery-narrowing, sloppy mess of delicious.

Yep, it's incredible. It is, in the parlance, the No. 30.

No. 30
The Old Fashioned House Burger-grilled over a live fire and topped with fried onions, Bavaria's hickory-smoked bacon, aged Cheddar, garlic sauce and a soft-cooked egg on a buttered and toasted roll..........................................................$8.95

bleurose
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:46 pm

Dotty's has always been about its own PR rather than the food. Enough people have now been through their various iterations to realize that. Food there - definitely including the burgers - has always been bland and nothing to recommend. Sure, it was one of those kitschy local places with eccentric decor that you could take the out-of-town visitors, but not a place anyone would regularly send others to eat. Just nothing there.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:00 pm

bleurose wrote:Dotty's has always been about its own PR rather than the food. Enough people have now been through their various iterations to realize that. Food there - definitely including the burgers - has always been bland and nothing to recommend. Sure, it was one of those kitschy local places with eccentric decor that you could take the out-of-town visitors, but not a place anyone would regularly send others to eat. Just nothing there.

I could not disagree more. And they also have the best cheese curds in town.

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:25 pm

The house burger at Sardine is the current benchmark for the competition in Madison....

kimm
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:10 am

Had a burger at Oakcrest based on recommendations here. Pretty darn good beef. Nothing "fancy" about it, just some good homemade burger flavor and a nice soft bun. Thick, but not too thick, patty. I might tip the scales towards Blue Moon for a bar burger, but Oakcrest is no slouch.

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:10 pm

This article was in Sunday's WSJ; Options abound for burger lovers at Monk's Bar & Grill and I immediately thought of this thread.
"The fourth Monk’s Bar & Grill opened recently in Middleton (in a former Applebee’s in a strip mall across from Ruth’s Chris Steak House).
There are Nineteen types of burgers on the menu, and are known for hand-formed patties made from meat of a slightly coarse grind, distinctly different from fast food burgers. They’re seasoned just right, with a light char on the outside and slightly pink inside."

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:27 pm

The Shamrock has an excellent burger
5 Guys is good for a chain and the most real fries anyone could eat

Speaking of Fries, why don't more places use real fresh potatoes rather than buying frozen from purveyors?

How about starting A Best Fries category because most of them suck.

My choices for fries: 5 guys i know it's a chain but who else?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:05 pm

bassbari wrote:My choices for fries: 5 guys i know it's a chain but who else?

Nectar's.

Too bad it's in Burlington, Vt.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:30 pm

bassbari wrote:Speaking of Fries, why don't more places use real fresh potatoes rather than buying frozen from purveyors?

How about starting A Best Fries category because most of them suck. ...
Well, that's an interesting question. I guess the best burger in Madison is not all that different from the worst burger in Madison, but fries still have some room to stretch.

Aside from preparation, it's still possible to eat a single french fry that came from a single potato. That may be the case for some burgers (rarely), but unless you're asking ...

The best fries I had was at a roadside stand in Glover, Vermont (Post Bread & Puppet). Once they had your order, they picked through the potatoes at hand, then manually sliced them in a wall-mounted mandolin. As I remember (or nostalgically imagine), they had two cooking vats. Into the first, they dropped the raw potatoes for 15 seconds or so, then let them rest for a minute before dropping them into a second vat for 2-4 minutes.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Marvell wrote:Nectar's.
Too bad it's in Burlington, Vt.
I loved Nectar's. But once I saw their gravy, I damn near swore off fries forever. (Down this gullet poutine will never travel.)

Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:02 am

Best fries in Madison - Graze, Brassiere V, and Jacs in that order. All come with aioli and the fries from Graze are fried in some higher quality oil so they taste much better than even my homemade fries.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:45 am

Until recently, Dexters had amazing fries. Double fried for those crispy bubbles. Yum-my.

I say until recently because the last couple of months have been meh. Over cooked food and just generally blase. Not sure if there's a morale trough going on over there or what, but they need to fix it.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”