Reviewing the Dane? Really?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
hmmmph

Reviewing the Dane? Really?

Postby hmmmph » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:35 am

Am I the only one who thought the review of the east side Great Dane was ridiculous? I mean, doesn't everybody in the greater Madison area know about the food at the Dane to the point where reviewing it is pretty much no value added?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Reviewing the Dane? Really?

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:28 am

I'm sure nobody from out of town is in Madison this week.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:32 am

I'd rather eat at McDonalds than any Dane.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am

That offers me some insight to your political beliefs, as well. At least you seem consistently obeisant to marketing over quality.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:39 am

Crockett wrote:I'd rather eat at McDonalds than any Dane.

Better a Kroc crock for Crock (ett)?

Sounds about right.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:41 am

To be fair, a quick search reveals that the Isthmus has not published a food review of the Great Dane since its inception sixteen years ago. Of course, that raises the questions of why they would choose to do so now, especially in light of the quotes appearing in the review, such as:

For many area diners, there's so much familiarity with what the Great Dane offers

and

There's nothing you can get at the Great Dane East that you can't get at any other Dane

I guess we can look forward to many more illuminating reviews of successful area franchises with which we are familiar like Glass Nickle, Benevenuto's, Chang Jiang, and many others.

And Kyle, the quotes above indicate that the review was written with area dinners in mind. And even if this article was written as a show piece for tourists, there exists plenty of other places where they can find out about this "hidden gem."

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:48 am

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:To be fair, a quick search reveals that the Isthmus has not published a food review of the Great Dane since its inception sixteen years ago.

Incorrect. In 2006, Jerry Minnich reviewed the downtown location. It's okay that you didn't know, because the digital archiving of restaurant reviews appears to have started a short time after that review was published.

As always, thanks for reading.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:07 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:In 2006, Jerry Minnich reviewed the downtown location.

I guess this reinforces the point that "for many area diners, there's so much familiarity with what the Great Dane offers" that they don't need two reviews of the same restaurant where "There's nothing you can get at the Great Dane East that you can't get at any other Dane . . . ." But I guess this was for the tourists, so . . . .

As always, thanks for being condescending.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:10 pm

Yeah, no one new ever moves to Madison. Nor is ever a good idea to take a fresh look at a long established establishment.

Fat.The.Gangster
Forum Addict

Postby Fat.The.Gangster » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:41 pm

dave esmond wrote:Yeah, no one new ever moves to Madison. Nor is ever a good idea to take a fresh look at a long established establishment.

This review did not take a "fresh look" at a long-established restaurant. It merely recited what was available on the menu--like every other review in this rag ever--and finished with the underwhelming sentiment that
There's nothing you can get at the Great Dane East that you can't get at any other Dane
. That's not fresh; that's rote and I would wager a facsimile of the review which preceeded it six years earlier.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Ahhh the critic critic. Glad you could find something wrong with the review Fat. Ever have any interest in taking a stab at reviews yourself or is it more fun to sit back and lob insults at those who do?

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:52 pm

Fat.The.Gangster wrote:This review did not take a "fresh look" at a long-established restaurant. It merely recited what was available on the menu--like every other review in this rag ever--and finished with the underwhelming sentiment that
. That's not fresh; that's rote and I would wager a facsimile of the review which preceeded it six years earlier.

If the fresh looks finds the same thing why expect a different review?

And given you can't find the old reviews online why not do it again?

Not defending the review itself as I haven't read it but I don't see a problem with revisiting places from time to time. Even if all you find is that it's still the same.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:00 pm

As someone who ate at Cloud Nine a few times and has friends in that area, I was interested in what Kyle had to say about the use of the space, etc. The menu stuff is not surprising considering the homogeneity of the Danes.

My friends who went there on Fri report that the same space issues that plagued previous tenants persist, food was good (but then again these are big Dane supporters) and the wait was a bit long considering the availability of tables.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:14 pm

As someone who is not a regular customer of the Danes and has only been in this building once, I'm curious about these "space issues." The obvious problem, when I was there, was a lack of seating space at/around the bar (there was plenty of standing room behind the stools, but no place to set down drinks) and an apparent bottleneck at the front door/host(ess) station. I never ventured upstairs.
Can someone please elaborate on the space issues, if different than what I saw?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:39 pm

Hmmm... there's a new Great Dane on the east side. I wonder if there's anything new, different or special about it? If only a local restaurant critic would dine there and let me know.

It used to be that Ovens of Brittany was a local institution, opening new outlets one or more times a year. A change in culture and probably the economy has meant that the Dane occupies a similar place today. Food aside, it's one of the highest-profile, successful local businesses. It's worthy of attention.

How often should local restaurants be revisited, critcally? Five years? Ten? If you think the review of the new east side Dane, occupying a spot where previous tenants have failed, is unnecessary, what should have run in its place?

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”