Doomed restaurants

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Re: Doomed restaurants

Postby swoon_queen » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:42 am

I guess whether jman gets it or not, I don't get it. Trolls? really? There are two first time visitors in this thread; neither sounded like an employee or business owner. The first blatantly stated he/she was a friend of the owners of La Rocca, the second alluded to having reviewed the restaurant some years back. Both wrote eloquently and added something meaningful to the conversation here. Wonder if they will continue to add to the conversation now?

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:52 am

wack wack wrote:If each poster had gone on to post more messages in other threads, in other areas, that may indicate a genuine attempt to join a forum and become part of a community. Then they'd be "newcomers."

One or two hit-and-run posts pimping your own interests is hardly reasonable. It's an asshole move that deserves scorn. These are not "newcomers," they are trolls.

If you can read the post by "chercheurdereves" and claim it is the work of a "troll", then you are the one who doesn't "get it." Had he or she chimed in with "This place is great. Stop in for $5 ravioli on Tuesdays.", you may have a point. However, I view the post as a well-written response in defense of a local establishment. Hell, Gregory even came back for more abuse. Imagine that!

So, the fact that someone posts a single opinion on a single subject, regardless of validity of content, is cause for scorn? I don't think so.
By the way, what is the time limit for additional posts (ya know, the posts that "validate" the poster as a new member? Do they have to occur within 1 minute of the first? 1 hour? 1 day?

"Become part of the community"? Yep, that's the arrogance and elitism to which I referred. similarly...

TheBookPolice wrote:...the readers who populate this forum truly do not appreciate being bullshitted.

You, sir, do not speak for me. I happen to be a "reader who populate(s) this forum." I am completely accustomed to being bullshitted here, and these posts had no scent of excrement.

TheBookPolice wrote:They also don't appreciate when some new member with a clear agenda starts taking absurd potshots at long-time members of the community.

And yet they appraciate old members with clear agendas taking potshots at long-time members? C'mon, you guys seem to thrive on that! Get real!

If the elites of this forum wish to attack each other (exclusively) and protect their "community", perhaps they should request of the powers-that-be (yep, that's you Joyce) that "membership" be denied to all "newcomers." Enjoy your private party.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:04 pm

jman111 wrote:You, sir, do not speak for me. I happen to be a "reader who populate(s) this forum." I am completely accustomed to being bullshitted here, and these posts had no scent of excrement.
And yet they appraciate old members with clear agendas taking potshots at long-time members? C'mon, you guys seem to thrive on that! Get real!

As to the first point, fine. I shouldn't have spoken on behalf of anyone but myself.

As to the second, I don't really know what you're trying to say.

And swoon, every newbie on every message board gets a little bit razzed. I sure did. Ah, the good old days of getting into it with Chuck_Schick and lysander. But I stuck around because I wanted to express myself and this seemed like the best forum in which to do it. I didn't let the jerks (and I've since come onto fairly good terms with both of the above forons) get me down, and continued to post--more or less unabated. Sorry, everyone.

Whether these two post again or not is totally up to them. If their eloquence is their own, and meant only to express themselves and not a company's profile, I hope they do. Maybe I'm jaded by years of Forum reality, but I kind of doubt they will. Still, I wouldn't call these folks "trolls," not by any stretch.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:42 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:As to the second, I don't really know what you're trying to say.

regarding this:
TheBookPolice wrote:They [the readers who populate this forum] also don't appreciate when some new member with a clear agenda starts taking absurd potshots at long-time members of the community.

and this:
TheBookPolice wrote:I wouldn't have said anything...except for the bizarre accusation that a long-time forum member is somehow hacking away at a little Italian place from this fortified bunker of the internet.

That shit's just stupid.

Why the outrage? Because Gregory questioned Thesnulda's motivation? (Although you take exception to his post because of his "clear agenda"- talk about hypocrisy) Because he expressed his concerns about running a business these days? That's what you consider a "potshot"? C'mon, he even prefaced his statements with "I think"! He is simply expressing his opinions.

This forum is full of members taking actual "potshots" at one another. (Surely you don't need me to refer you to examples.) Although I don't think Greg's comments rise to that level, I fully support new members putting a few shots across the bows of know-it-all forons.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:02 pm

jman111 wrote:Why the outrage? Because Gregory questioned Thesnulda's motivation?

Because he did it on Post #1 on TDPF, which itself was a lengthy and perhaps slightly overheated defense of a restaurant no one was wishing ill upon--that I could tell, anyway.

If you want your opinion respected in any group of people, online or elsewhere, the best way to do it is probably not to walk into the middle right off the bat and start pointing fingers.

That's all I've got to say on this subject, in this thread.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:35 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:That's all I've got to say on this subject, in this thread.

Let's move on, then

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:09 am

Here’s another vote for La Rocca's. (Hopefully I have enough posts here to say that). Good food at reasonable prices, nice atmosphere. I think Thusnelda should give it another shot with an open mind and report back. You can have the odd bad experience even at the best places.

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:12 am

Oh, and as far as doomed restaurants go, I’d add Mexico Lindo to the list. Excellent authentic Mexican food, but there never seems to be anyone in there.

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:01 am

La Rocca's rules. I'd be really disappointed if they closed ... they serve probably the best pizzas in town.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:07 am

I've liked La Rocca's every time I've been there (which, admittedly, has only been twice).

Mexican Lindo is pretty brand new, and not the kind of place that's gonna be buying up space on the airwaves. People gotta go there and talk about it for it to succeed (see: Pan and Pan).

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: D'oh!-med restaurants

Postby Marvell » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am

I was going to suggest that we focus the discussion on domed restaurants, but now that The Gobbler is closed I'm not sure there are any around.

Any local Kubla Kahn wanna a stately pleasure dome decree?

kulgar
Forum Addict

On a lighter note, LaRocca's open for lunch again

Postby kulgar » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:11 am

I really, REALLY missed not getting a slice at lunch all summer! But now it appears that LaRocca's is again open for lunch during the week.

It's been an enthusiastic series of postings, although more like monkeys flinging feces in the zoo than serious discussion about this family restaurant. Let's get back to the food.

I'm on my way to LaRocca's in 20 minutes as a matter of fact, to hell with my diet. And I can get three slices for the price of a small lunch a few store fronts down the block....

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Re: D'oh!-med restaurants

Postby kissyfish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Marvell wrote:I was going to suggest that we focus the discussion on domed restaurants, but now that The Gobbler is closed I'm not sure there are any around.

Any local Kubla Kahn wanna a stately pleasure dome decree?

Where green, the yahara river ran
Through crunchy neighborhoods measureless to man
Down to Monona Bay.

keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:28 pm

The short-lived Hiawatha was sort of domed on the inside I think. Cool interior, but terrible location for a restaurant...hence, now a bike shop.

I'm a little worried about Antojitos el Toril on Cottage Grove Road. The food is dependably good and decently priced, staff always seems friendly. They've been around for a bit, but we rarely encounter many other diners there.

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:31 pm

keelio wrote:The short-lived Hiawatha was sort of domed on the inside I think. Cool interior, but terrible location for a restaurant...hence, now a bike shop.

I'm a little worried about Antojitos el Toril on Cottage Grove Road. The food is dependably good and decently priced, staff always seems friendly. They've been around for a bit, but we rarely encounter many other diners there.

Abuelos has a sort of McMansionesque dome-ishness

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”