Taco Heaven

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Taco Heaven

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:34 pm

I went to this new restaurant on Johnson St. It is in the old Le Chardonnay location near State Street. It was easily the worst food I've had in Madison in many, many years. I should have been suspicious when the name is Taco Heaven and they also have pita sandwiches, pulled pork, burgers and hot dogs.

I got three different tacos each equally as disgusting as the first. The meat was flavorless. I had to douse it in hot sauce just to redeem the food. The tortillas were dry and bland. It came with beans and rice. WOW, instant white rice with canned tomatoes mixed in and canned beans the consistency of water. I truly believe taco bell to be better.

I have never so wanted my money and time back. I'll give it 6 months at best.

AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Taco Heaven

Postby AaronTheSnob » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:18 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I went to this new restaurant on Johnson St. It is in the old Le Chardonnay location near State Street. It was easily the worst food I've had in Madison in many, many years. I should have been suspicious when the name is Taco Heaven and they also have pita sandwiches, pulled pork, burgers and hot dogs.

I got three different tacos each equally as disgusting as the first. The meat was flavorless. I had to douse it in hot sauce just to redeem the food. The tortillas were dry and bland. It came with beans and rice. WOW, instant white rice with canned tomatoes mixed in and canned beans the consistency of water. I truly believe taco bell to be better.

I have never so wanted my money and time back. I'll give it 6 months at best.

You know, while certainly not gourmet Mexican, Taco Bell's not all that bad for what it is., to be honest. I think it gets a bad rap.

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:25 pm

AaronTheSnob wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:
You know, while certainly not gourmet Mexican, Taco Bell's not all that bad for what it is., to be honest. I think it gets a bad rap.

That is not real food. The beef and beans are dehydrated. My partner ate there and ended up recovering in St Mary's for a week from food poisoning.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:28 pm

Why would someone get food poisoning from re-hydrated food? You'd think that would be a far bigger issue for a smaller authentic Mexican place with fresh ingredients that can spoil than it would a huge multinational chain. Story sounds a little bit bullshitty to me. Anyways the Bell is a guilty pleasure I'll admit. I like that you can spend 6 bucks and get like 11 different things to eat even if 9 of them contain the exact same ingredients.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=47689&hilit=+Cheesy

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Taco Bell sucks!

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:43 pm

I don't doubt that someone got sick after eating Taco Bell, but yeah, it's not lousy quality food that gives one food poisoning, which is certainly what bassbari's post seems to imply.

Three things are likely to cause food poisoning:

- spoiled food (somebody leaves the mayo sitting out too long)
- improper handling or preparation (someone forgot to wash his hands)
- tainted food source (that field of greens is awash in raw sewage)

Dehydration is actually a manner of preservation, as fisticuffs suggests. Fast food restaurants pre-process a lot of food specifically to reduce the risk of food-borne illness.

I mean, bitch about Taco Bell all you want, I don't eat there. But at least get your facts straight. Your partner could just as easily have gotten sick that day because he didn't wash his own hands prior to eating. It's actually pretty tough to state precisely how and where someone may have contracted food poisoning given the varying microbial incubation period and numerous potential culprits out there.

Be wary of anyone who states with absolute authority that "Dive X gave me food poisoning."

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:50 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Why would someone get food poisoning from re-hydrated food? You'd think that would be a far bigger issue for a smaller authentic Mexican place with fresh ingredients that can spoil than it would a huge multinational chain. Story sounds a little bit bullshitty to me. Anyways the Bell is a guilty pleasure I'll admit. I like that you can spend 6 bucks and get like 11 different things to eat even if 9 of them contain the exact same ingredients.
http://isthmus.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... it=+Cheesy

It was the food, not bullshit, idiot. Things go bad when they are not kept at the right temperature. These people may not have taken a food handling course. That is the problem with monitoring employees from a multinational chain. He became dehydrated (not like the meat) from the vomiting and had to be put on an IV. If you want to call it a guilty pleasure, knock yourself out, but I call it a gamble with your life. The KFC also sucks. Watch out for undercooked chicken. Just sayin'

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:51 pm

Yeah, get your facts straight, because I like defending crappy fast food chains!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/12/ ... 7678.shtml

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:03 pm

bassbari wrote:It was the food, not bullshit, idiot.

Maybe you could put some effort into expressing yourself in a manner that doesn't make you sound like an idiot, idiot.

See, when you write in such a way that gives the appearance you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, people are generally going to assume that's the case.

And for the record, Beantown, I'm not defending any fast food joint. Just saying that when people talk about "food poisoning" they often don't know what the hell they're even saying. Most cases of food-borne illness aren't going to hit you the same day you eat the contaminated food, but most people are likely to point to the last meal they ate as the likely culprit.

Just trying to shed some facts on the matter. Now back to the anecdotal nonsense ...

chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Re: Don't be bad mouthing the mayo

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:53 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Three things are likely to cause food poisoning:

- spoiled food (somebody leaves the mayo sitting out too long)
- improper handling or preparation (someone forgot to wash his hands)
- tainted food source (that field of greens is awash in raw sewage)
...Your partner could just as easily have gotten sick that day because he didn't wash his own hands prior to eating. It's actually pretty tough to state precisely how and where someone may have contracted food poisoning given the varying microbial incubation period and numerous potential culprits out there.

Be wary of anyone who states with absolute authority that "Dive X gave me food poisoning."

It's not the mayo that goes bad. It's the food that the mayo is mixed with that's almost always the problem. Processed mayo (salad dressings, Miracle Whip, whatever) of all kinds has some kind of acidic element in it that retards spoilage - lemon juice, vinegar, etc. - but when your chicken, or turkey or has been handled incorrectly the mayo always gets the bad rap. In fact, you stand a better chance of food borne bacterial not effecting you if there is mayo in the dish.

BB's friend may have picked up one of the nasty bacteria that that come around once in a while from fast food hamburger or vegetables. They can certainly put somebody down. But your garden variety food poisoning is usually something that got transmitted from a lazy food handler or possibly another customer at a buffet (it happens). Think about this too; "food poisoning" takes as long to develop as it takes to get the bacteria into your lower system. Any bacteria that was hardy enough to survive your stomach acids goes into your intestines and generates that familiar rumble that sends you to the throne. It generally takes 8-10 hours to get that bacteria into the colon. About 75% of what people think of as "stomach flu" or "the 24 hour bug" is actually food poisoning. Often, if you start having bad symptoms two hours after you eat somewhere your body is reacting to something else.

I think mayo gets a bad rap a lot of times.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:59 pm

I call bullshit becasue I've eaten Taco literally hundreds of times (mostly at bar time) and never ONCE EVER have I gotten food poisoning. The link about E Coli outbreak was national news. Everyone knows about that. It didn't happen here. It's irrelevant to Bassbarri's partner's stomach problems.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:04 pm

And another thing. There are over 5800 Taco Bell's in this country. If they were responsible giving food poisoning to even a quarter of a percent of the people who walk through the door it would be a pretty big deal. So go ahead and avoid the place all you want but Bassbari's "Don't go to T Bell they give you food poisoning" argument shouldn't be your reason behind it.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:14 pm

So, ummm, anyway, Taco Heaven sucks. Good to know but not surprising.

(thanks for defending mayo chainsaw, I was thinking the same thing-that it gets a bad rap)

TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:26 pm

Are you talking about dried beans as if that is a bad thing? That's the best way to buy most beans. Buy them dried, soak them yourself, then cook them yourself. What other options were you looking for exactly? Canned beans are inferior and most Taco Bells probably don't locally source their beans.

Also, isn't dehydrated beef the same thing as beef jerky? While Taco Bell isn't my favorite place, I am quite certain they do not put beef jerky in their tacos. Although, that does sound pretty good.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:56 pm

There are people (like me) that eat Taco Bell and then there are the fancier folks that always seem to scoff at fast food. I call those people "healthy". Yes, in quotations.

I knew a vegetarian who worked at Taco Bell and he never mentioned the bef as being dehydrated. My guess is the bef mixture comes ready to heat in a vacuum-sealed plastic bag that gets put into a steamer until it's ready to be cut open and used. We're not talkin' chipped beef here.

I've had two memorable food poisonings. The first was when I worked at Rocky's and likey got it from slightly undercooked sausage on a 'za, but who knows? The second time was from jambalaya I ate at Applebee's. Both times I got hit like seven hours after I ate. Violent puking. Everything had to go. Very unpleasant.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”