Out with JT Whitney and in with... What?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Out with JT Whitney and in with... What?

Postby acereraser » Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:34 pm

jjoyce wrote: The interior is really comfortable and inviting and who doesn't love a bar with an aquarium?

Ooh, do they have ferns, too?

Jus' yankin' yer chain. I enjoy dated phrases, and "fern bar" is just not said too much anymore.

beenie
Forum Addict

Postby beenie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:18 pm

jjoyce wrote:Yeah, but see here's the thing: There are no decent places out there for a burger and a beer.

I've recently been turned on to Tony Frank's. Not sure if it's the ambiance you're looking for, or has beer you're interested in drinking, but the burgers are great.

kimm
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:23 am

Sigh. I really want to like it here. It's convenient for an after work beer. However, they are extract brewing and the beers have little body and character. I'm bummed. At least the atmosphere is a drastic improvement from JT's. The food is ok. Service is average-to-good at the bar, average in the dining room.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:28 am

I have to respectfully disagree with the previous poster. The beers are generally quite good. And I really like the food. I've been there four times, and the only time I was disappointed was the first visit shortly after they opened, which is not all that unusual.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:36 am

Went there after a round at the Vitense chip/putt the other night for some appetizers and beers. Enjoyed everything. It's turning into a regular neighborhood stop for us.

Some nights it's downright lively in there.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:58 pm

As an old JT Mug-Clubber I have to say the Vintage is better in just about every way aside from price - it is definitely a rung higher on that count. I've really enjoyed the beers. The Better Off Red was excellent, and judging by the fact the batch was sold out within a month or so I wasn't alone in that opinion. The Trepidation Belgian was boozy and flavorful, very good although I'm not even that big on the style. Their APA is my current favorite, and I heard that they're coming out with an Alt soon. My favorite JT brews were always their alts, so I'm excited to try the Vintage's offering.

As for the food, I haven't had a bad meal yet. The Black Bean burger and the Italian Job sandwich are my usual orders, and the NY Roast Beef Roll was excellent the last time I stopped by.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:41 pm

kimm
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Since this thread popped back up towards the top, I figured I'd revisit my initial review of Vintage. I think the beers have gotten consistently better since they first opened. The first batches seemed low on body and flavor. I now enjoy many of their pours. Maybe it was just the minimal offerings they had at first.

The food is still pretty good, even through some menu revamps. The service is decent. Apart from one really lousy server during early visits, everyone has been good. Not great, but good.

Edited to update: Went there on Saturday and shared two apps with friends. The pub chips and beer cheese dip was pretty flavorless. Salt and pepper were very necessary additions to the chips and dip. And the cheese and sausage plate? Two cheese varieties, almost indistinguishable, and one kind of summer sausage with crackers. And no information as to what they were/where they were from. For $9, it was the most disappointing. Beers were good, however. I just think they should improve these two apps or remove them from the menu.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”