The Avenue

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Re: The Avenue

Postby Slick Willy » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:41 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:we both noticed a strange flavor to the steaks. I asked the server if they were now seasoning their steaks. He said he’d check.

He returned to inform us that yes, they were seasoned with Lawry’s. WTF?!? The only reason you dump that shit on a nice piece of beef is to cover for the fact that it’s not really that nice a piece of beef. They need to send that “chef” back to the freaking Outback and start serving proper steaks again. Damn.

I disagree with your notion that quality beef should not be seasoned. That's like saying that an apple pie made with quality apples shouldn't have cinnamon. Seasoning isn't necessarily used to mask bad flavor but also to compliment good flavor. Steaks, or any meat for that matter, prepared without any seasoning at all are bland in my opinion. Even steak purists like some salt and freshly ground or crushed black pepper on their steak, but Lawry's seems fine for a place like the Avenue. BTW, I think the Avenue has been using Lawry's for many, many years.

I've had some pretty delicious NY strip and top sirloins at the Avenue. When it comes to steak, they may not have the absolute best in town, but I think that you get the most bang for your buck there.

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Slick Willy wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:we both noticed a strange flavor to the steaks. I asked the server if they were now seasoning their steaks. He said he’d check.

He returned to inform us that yes, they were seasoned with Lawry’s. WTF?!? The only reason you dump that shit on a nice piece of beef is to cover for the fact that it’s not really that nice a piece of beef. They need to send that “chef” back to the freaking Outback and start serving proper steaks again. Damn.

I disagree with your notion that quality beef should not be seasoned. That's like saying that an apple pie made with quality apples shouldn't have cinnamon. Seasoning isn't necessarily used to mask bad flavor but also to compliment good flavor. Steaks, or any meat for that matter, prepared without any seasoning at all are bland in my opinion. Even steak purists like some salt and freshly ground or crushed black pepper on their steak, but Lawry's seems fine for a place like the Avenue. BTW, I think the Avenue has been using Lawry's for many, many years.

I've had some pretty delicious NY strip and top sirloins at the Avenue. When it comes to steak, they may not have the absolute best in town, but I think that you get the most bang for your buck there.

I have been ordering steaks at the Avenue for probably 30 years. I have never noticed the flavor of Lawry’s on one of them. Until the last time. Which would indicate that if all of those 30 years of steaks had Lawry’s on them, it was a very light dusting, and that on our most recent visit, the lid fell off of the shaker.

I agree that steaks need some kind of seasoning. Like salt and pepper. Applied by the customer at the table. And the real reason I will never return to the Avenue is the fact that two different management-level people I discussed this with didn’t seem to give a shit whether I was happy or not.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:48 pm

I have heard this unseasoned steak argument a few times. It was given as a reason that I should try Smokey's just last week. "They don't do anything to the meat--its great!"

Some very good places do season quality beef and it works fine. Many use sauces or cheese to compliment excellent cuts of beef. Personally, I enjoy a chef that spices things up a bit. I use rubs and pepper on most of the steaks I grill at home. Eating it naked is fine, but discounting a chef that seasons steak or beef just for that reason shows a limited palate IMO. You may like it better bland, but hey some people like beef well done...ask the average chef what he thinks of that.

lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:16 am

I think the issue is what the restaurant promises vs what is delivered. A steak that's been seasoned with a rub, or rolled in spices, or served with a sauce should be listed as such on the menu. If the menu listing doesn't specify any kind of sauce or rub or seasoning, than I'd expect to get the steak with, at the most, a very light amount of salt applied before cooking. I'm with Goober on this one. Though, as for the Avenue, beyond their fish boil I've never thought much of the place. If I want a steak I'll go to Tornado.

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:34 pm

Exactly.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”