Ha Long Bay on Willy St.

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
dudemeister
Forum Addict

Re: Ha Long Bay on Willy St.

Postby dudemeister » Thu May 27, 2010 7:28 pm

It's very good and getting better from when they first opened.

I'm feeling a little guilty about going there now more than Lao Laan Xang. I think the curries are a little better at LLX but HLB has some tasty main courses that are not available at LLX. There's some stir-fry with asparagus that is really good and their pot stickers / pan fried dumplings are best in the area.

Speaking of pot stickers, can anyone explain how Wong's Garden stays open? I'm always encouraging of local businesses but it's really, really bad Chinese food. I mean goopy, bloopy BAD.

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri May 28, 2010 7:48 am

dudemeister wrote:Speaking of pot stickers, can anyone explain how Wong's Garden stays open? I'm always encouraging of local businesses but it's really, really bad Chinese food. I mean goopy, bloopy BAD.

I'd strongly disagree, but I have a pathological fear of matching wits with anyone who goes by an awesomely awesome moniker like "dudemeister."

uneditedtruth

Postby uneditedtruth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:24 pm

A recent visit to Ha Long Bay received service that would only rate a "D."
The place was busy, I'll admit, but it took almost a half hour after being seated for someone to even take our order (party of two) and the entire visit took over 2 hours! It was very surreal how the employees and/or owners did not seem to care about anything.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:39 pm

uneditedtruth wrote:A recent visit to Ha Long Bay received service that would only rate a "D."

After glancing at all 5 of your forum posts to date, I have to ask: is there any place, or any thing in general, that you like?

uneditedtruth

Postby uneditedtruth » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:49 pm

rabble wrote:
uneditedtruth wrote:A recent visit to Ha Long Bay received service that would only rate a "D."

After glancing at all 5 of your forum posts to date, I have to ask: is there any place, or any thing in general, that you like?

Sure. I like Magnus, Bradbury's , pizza I like Greenbush. You seem to imply that my reasons for not liking the things I don't like are not normal reasons. However I think you would not be happy either if your Ha Long Bay experience was like my own - that is, I think it is normal to be upset that it takes them over 2 hours to take your order and serve your dinner, including the necessary eating time. We had been planning a movie after dinner, but that had to be scrapped. Ha Long Bay dinner was as long as a longer movie in itself.

To be honest i have been ripped off at so many Madison restaurants that i joined to warn others, and that is why my posts are about negative experiences.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:06 pm

uneditedtruth wrote:You seem to imply that my reasons for not liking the things I don't like are not normal reasons....
To be honest i have been ripped off at so many Madison restaurants that i joined to warn others, and that is why my posts are about negative experiences.

I wasn't trying to imply anything except that every last one of your posts badmouthed somebody. It made me wonder.
Last edited by rabble on Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:47 pm

uneditedtruth wrote:You seem to imply that my reasons for not liking the things I don't like are not normal reasons....

Not only that, but you posted 5 negative posts on restaurants and a post office in less than 30 minutes. That's a lot of righteous anger - or some kind of anger. Just a suggestion, but maybe you could try posting about what you like as well as what you don't like.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:01 am

lolagirl wrote:Not only that, but you posted 5 negative posts on restaurants and a post office in less than 30 minutes. That's a lot of righteous anger - or some kind of anger. Just a suggestion, but maybe you could try posting about what you like as well as what you don't like.

Lolagirl, perhaps you missed this, fyi, lol..
uneditedtruth wrote:Sure. I like Magnus, Bradbury's , pizza I like Greenbush.

I have a had a few long waits at Ha Long Bay but that has been the exception. 2 out of maybe 60 or 70 meals there. I have yet to have a bad, or even mediocre meal. I've liked some things more than others but never disappointing.

lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:43 am

jhain wrote:Lolagirl, perhaps you missed this, fyi, lol..

No, I saw that. It was posted as feedback to someone else who said that unedit only posted negative comments. I still stand by my statement. This person has not made a single post that is positive. Burying some things you like in the middle of a negative post - and only when called out to say something positive - doesn't count.

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:44 am

lolagirl wrote:
jhain wrote:Lolagirl, perhaps you missed this, fyi, lol..

No, I saw that. It was posted as feedback to someone else who said that unedit only posted negative comments. I still stand by my statement. This person has not made a single post that is positive. Burying some things you like in the middle of a negative post - and only when called out to say something positive - doesn't count.

OK. Thanks. Now I see.

aimless

Postby aimless » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:58 pm

Ha Long Bay is delicious. I particularly like the Vietnamese fare. I love the Pho which tastes fresh and flavorful. It is a great winter dish. I also love the Vietnamese vegetarian dish called Vegetable Combo (V1). The sauce is yummy, the veggies crunchy and varied. Sometimes service is slow so I wouldn't go there in a rush. The wait staff is very helpful and friendly. The menu is very extensive and would suit a large group of folks with differing tastes. Try it.

ErinRae07

Postby ErinRae07 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:29 pm

Ha long bay is my favorite restaurant in madison! This special pocket of small local restaurants and businesses is a must see. Ha long bay has a very extensive menu, tons of options. You could have something different every time. There is take out.The interior of the restaurant is very clean and fun. The portions are very large. There is a very reasonably priced lunch menu available during the week. It is a busy place, so understand if you go at the dinner rush there will probably be a wait. You can make reservations. There is construction on willy street right now but you can park on many of the streets close by. I recently moved to the west side for work but I make trips to the east side just to eat here!

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”