The Bayou

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Re: The Bayou

Postby lolagirl » Fri May 22, 2009 7:40 am

Checked out the bayou for lunch earlier this week. Had the shrimp poor boy - quite good, especially liked the remoulade sauce served on the side. I'm not sure why the big deal about the bread that's imported from New Orleans - it didn't strike me as being anything special, and I'd rather they use something locally made. The sandwich price was 8 bucks and that included a side order choice of fries, potato salad or sweet potato fries.

The design of the place is really something. Piece by piece it varies from quite lovely (the ceiling is painted like a sky and included some very nice stained glass Mardi Gras masks in it) to kitschy (the large plastic(?) statue of a female in Mardi Gras costume) to bizaare (the life size painted mural of MG revelers upstairs, complete with female just starting to raise her shirt and older male readying a camera). Overall I was impressed; but then, I love kitsch. A lot of thought went into the place, and judging from the small sampling of food I had that level of planning extended to the food. I'll be back, for dinner and drinks, to get a better feel for the place. I wish them luck.

itsme

Postby itsme » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:40 am

I had lunch there recently, and unfortunately wasn't impressed. I started with the crab cakes, which barely tasted of crab. Instead of chunks of meaty crab, it's more of shredded/ground patty. The black beans served with the cakes were unnecessary since you already had the mushy texture with the cakes. The dressing on the salad underneath the cakes was nice though.

Next up was the shrimp creole. Described on the menu as having a "very spicy tomato based sauce", contained no discernable tomato flavor, but was rather a bland brown sauce.

Back to NOTO for me.

Tsur

Postby Tsur » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:53 am

Just ate at The Bayou again. My original visit was kinda shaky, but worth another try:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45564#p572245

The first time I went there I got some 'tude about not wanting pickles. No problems at all this time. Ordered two po boys, both dressed, one with no pickle. It was a non-issue; as it should be. In fact service was much better this time. Alicia (but spelled funky) was attentive and unobtrusive. The place was moderately busy for a Saturday evening (9ish).

Got a bowl of the gumbo. I really, really like it. The po-boys were good. Love that spongy bread. One of my fried oysters in my sandwich was funky. But that happens every now and then. I avoided the sweet potato fries because the texture was wrong last time. Got the normal fries and was pleased.

Most importantly, the oysters came out on ice. They were fresh, tasty and chilled. Oddly, and this is me nitpicking, they came on top of ice-cubes. For some reason, I really expect oysters to come out on a bed of crushed ice. The champagne mignonette and bloody mary, sauces are interesting (in a good way). I've had better mignonette, but this one is fine. I really enjoy the bloody mary sauce. I think it would make a poor drink, but on top of an oyster I think it's just about perfect.

Overall, I recommend The Bayou. We paid $56 for a margarita, two beers, a bowl of gumbo, half-dozen oysters, one shrimp po-boy and one oyster po-boy. Seems reasonable. I'd give them a B+. I'd bump them up to an A- if they started serving their drinks in glasses. Plastic cups really make perfectly good alcohol taste like piss.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:55 am

Going to try this place tomorrow. I like shrimp po'boys, muffaletta, gumbo, etouffe, jambalaya, raw oysters, basically everything Cajun. Tell me what not to order.

baboocole

Postby baboocole » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:58 am

My 2 cents: Get the cheesecurds with a side of the Remoulade for dipping!

BeatBox

Postby BeatBox » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:04 pm

Skip the mufaletta. Everything else is excellent. I'm very pro their po'boys.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:07 pm

OK, I really love muffaletta. But that helps, the fact that they cut it in half was weird to me. Then again, Bab's served it on a po-boy roll.

BeatBox

Postby BeatBox » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:34 pm

I found the olive salad portion to be really really bland. There just wasn't a lot of flavor to the entire sandwich. To be fair it was right after they opened so maybe it's improved?

I've been there mannnny times and other than the muffaletta found everything to be really tasty.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:48 pm

I think I said it earlier, but I was disappointed in the fried oyster po'boy. Bland.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:09 pm

Cool, even as a native New Englander and lover of all things shellfish, never been a huge fan of fried oysters. I'll eat anything fried, and usually IMO frying it makes it better (or at least very good). But raw oysters are soooooo damned good just the way they are. Fried clams on the other hand...

lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:49 pm

Just got back from the Bayou. We've eaten there a few times and have liked it.

However, not sure after tonight that I'll be back to Bayou. I ordered a cup of the gumbo and a side salad; companion ordered the red beans and rice. The bowl of red beans and rice came with a small, thin half-sized slice of bread on the rim of the bowl; I'd put it at about 2.5 by 4 inches, maybe 1/4 inch thick. When our server stopped by to ask how things were, my husband asked if he could have another slice of bread. Our server (a very cheerful, efficient and nice person to deal with) came back with another of the small, thin half-size slices.

All fine and good. Then the bill came - and we discovered that the second piece of bread was charged to us at .50 cents. Really? WTF - it's a slice of bread that was a 1/4 inch thick - it's not like we pounded down a bread basket and then asked for more. Considering the amount of money spent to produce a New Orleans atmosphere, perhaps a wise move would be to apply the theme to how customers are treated - and provide a second piece of bread as a lagniappe.

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:59 pm

I went there earlier this year. The food was fine, but I wasn't blown away. I thought the prices were reasonable. The service was horrible. It took forever to get our food. We ate outside so we were able to see one of the sources of the delay. The staff went out for repeated, long cigarette breaks. I saw two of the staff out three times in one hour. Their breaks lasted longer than the time they were inside working.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”