Monroe Street Bistro - worst dining experience

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Monroe Street Bistro - worst dining experience

Postby jjoyce » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:44 pm

If you want a great burger and the coldest beer you've ever poured down your gullet, I recommend the Village Green in Middleton.

Or the Oakcrest on Old Middleton (with regular temp. beer).

dstol62
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dstol62 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:43 pm

I must recommend the burger served on the "past 10pm" menu at The Tornado. Wash down with a horseradish-infused bloody mary.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:47 pm

Old fashioned burger with the garlic sauce, bacon and egg combo thing. Plaza burger...meh.

chance
Forum Addict

Postby chance » Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:54 pm

[Okay, as long as the threadjackers are moving in...]

Speaking of eateries in that neck of the woods, I loved this e-mailed pitch I got from Monroe Street Bistro's near neighbor today:

Hello There Neighbor!
Bluephies wants to be your neighborhood bar.

If you live in the Dungeon - Monroe neighborhood
get 10% off your bar bill every Tuesday night.

Dungeon? Okay, sometimes the monotonous cultural / class uniformity of that 'hood can feel a little constricting, but it's not that bad...

peapod888

Postby peapod888 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:27 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Old fashioned burger with the garlic sauce, bacon and egg combo thing. Plaza burger...meh.

Agreed. The Old Fashioned Burger is pure heaven. Just have a lot of napkins on hand.

Wino
Forum Addict

Postby Wino » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:10 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Wow. How hard is it to cook a burger correctly?

Judging from my experience in numerous places, it appears to be extremely difficult. You have your choice of burned-raw or burned-gray. Getting a REQUESTED medium-rare burger remains only a dream unless one cooks it at home. I don't understand. Don't these spatula'd fuckers cook a hundred burgers a day?

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:03 pm

So you only go out to eat hot dogs, right?

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:37 am

I could easily name a dozen places where you can get a great burger in Madison. If you're eating garbage ones, you're going to the wrong places.

First, go with your better neighborhood bars. Aforementioned Oakcrest, Village Green are great, as is the Village on Speedway/Mineral Point. Also good: Main St. Depot. I won't disagree with what anyone here has said about Old Fashioned, Weary and can only imagine the burger at the Tornado is great as well.

The Great Dane cooks a plausible burger as well, although I don't favor the cute editions. I'm a fan of the Plaza burger and Dotty's is not overrated. I even enjoy a Gritty Burger on rare occasion, although I'm not a fan of the atmosphere in that place. Years ago, the Paradise used to make an epic burger, but it's been a while.

The Harmony has a good one, as does Wilson's. Finally: The organic, local number they make at Warner Park during Mallards games might be one of the best.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:23 am

I haven't had a 'bou burger in years, so I don't know if it's still the case, but the Caribou used to serve the best burger on the planet.

christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:25 am

I'm with jjoyce. There are plenty of excellent burgs in town.

8 pages of discussion here:

Madison's best burger
http://www.madison.com/post/forums/viewtopic.php?t=752

Several comments jogged my memory (oh yeah: The Wisco! Marigold!).

And here's a fresh food burger tip: the Weary now has an "Ace Burger," a more svelte version of their deathless Bob's Bad Breath Burger, for less than five bucks.
Last edited by christopher_robin on Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crow
Forum Addict

Postby Crow » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:32 am

I enjoy massive burgers dripping with fixin's as much as the next guy, but often I want something smaller and simpler. Where can I get a humble diner-style burger? Just a slim patty with mustard, ketchup, pickles and onions. The kind of burger that Wimpy feasts upon in Popeye comics. Something you can hold in one hand. Like a McDonald's hamburger, but... not. Does such a thing exist?

spanky
Forum God/Goddess

Postby spanky » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:43 am

Crow wrote:I enjoy massive burgers dripping with fixin's as much as the next guy, but often I want something smaller and simpler. Where can I get a humble diner-style burger? Just a slim patty with mustard, ketchup, pickles and onions. The kind of burger that Wimpy feasts upon in Popeye comics. Something you can hold in one hand. Like a McDonald's hamburger, but... not. Does such a thing exist?

It sounds like a burger at the Plaza is what you are after; not the "Plaza Burger" necessarily - as that is another animal altogether.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:47 am

Crow wrote:I enjoy massive burgers dripping with fixin's as much as the next guy, but often I want something smaller and simpler. Where can I get a humble diner-style burger? Just a slim patty with mustard, ketchup, pickles and onions. The kind of burger that Wimpy feasts upon in Popeye comics. Something you can hold in one hand. Like a McDonald's hamburger, but... not. Does such a thing exist?

I would recommend George Webb's, but they are no longer in Madison. The Curve on Park St. (which was a Webb's back in the 60s) might meet your criteria.

Flat_Atom
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flat_Atom » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:34 pm

Maintaining the thread hijack...I know.

Brothers Three at Fair Oaks and Hwy 30 makes a seriously good burger (among other things)! It's massive and they always cook it perfectly, no matter who's on the grill there. I'd put it up against the Wisco's and Village Green's (both fine burgers btw).

titus

Postby titus » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:54 pm

I went to the Monroe St. Bistro for the 1st time about a month ago. My meal was also very disappointing. My friend and I both had the salmon and it was also completely charred. The menu said there would be asparagus and I had one piece in my rice that was about an inch long. There was barely any food on the plate for a $16 entree. The salmon was about the size of the palm of my hand and there was a little scoop of rice under it. When we told the waitress about the burned salmon, she also said, what do you want me to do about it? My friend, who is pretty vocal, said "Bring out the chef". When we told him about our dissatisfaction he did not offer us a new one and said, "what do you want me to do"? At that point, we were like, if you can't figure it out yourself, we won't be back.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”