Cafe Costa Rica?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
mock_talks

Cafe Costa Rica?

Postby mock_talks » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:32 am

I'm hoping to venture off to this restaurant for the first time next week. What are your thoughts? What's the best thing to order? Does he have a liquor license yet?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:16 pm

I had a Costa Rican beer there. Does that count as liquor? It was as expensive as the lunch I had. An inexpensive, but very good burrito with an expensive and so-so beer.

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Great Idea
Caiparinha
Yes

GenieU
Forum God/Goddess

Postby GenieU » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:21 pm

We had a fried Plaintain appetizer with a spicy dip that was so good that we were prepared to lick the bowl it came in and suck the spilled bits off the table top...

auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:29 pm

I had an alcoholic coconut smoothie there that was fantastic. The empanadas were also delish. The portions weren't huge, but I left extremely full because of the super rich drinks.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:39 pm

I recommend going for breakfast or lunch your first time. It's much cheaper (as you would expect) and you can get a good idea of the flavors Cafe Costa Rica has to offer.

My fave lunch item are the tilapia tacos. My good friend also raves about the veggie plate.
For breakfast, the Tico Sunrise and the empanadas are both excellent.

As far as sauces go, Mango Man makes his own. Salsa Lizano, a native Costa Rican condiment is difficult to find in the states so the owner experimented until he came up with his own personal sauce that is comparable. Frankly, I like his version better and he sells it out of his restuarant.

I've found the waitstaff to be a bit spotty depending on who is working. Generally, they are all very friendly but sometimes it just feels like they aren't making timliness a priority...Even still, one of my top 10 fave restuarants in the Madison area.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cafe Costa Rica?

Postby gargantua » Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:22 pm

Went there for dinner Friday. Agree with the observation that the plantain app was delicious...and our female companions did in fact lick the sauce off the serving dish. Everyone liked their main courses as well, and the rum-based mojito was a big hit with some of us.

The service was slow. Friendly, but very slow. The slowness was the only downside of the evening. We will go back.

naybobber

Postby naybobber » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:02 am

where is it?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:17 am

ouroborus4
Forum Addict

Postby ouroborus4 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:54 pm

this place is phenomenal. go there. you won't be dissapointed. just had to put my 2 cents in.

donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:22 am

Was just there the other night again.
Thony trotted out some samples of a new black eye pea/coconut milk soup he was experimenting with.
Absolutely delicious!

dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:05 am

Super good. Watch the heat though. Our server claimed the dishes weren't too spicy. They were damn spicy. I'm no wuss either -- I put that Sriachah (rooster) sauce on a lot and the food was HOT. Delicious though. If you have the typical Wisconsin palate though watch out.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:52 am

dudemeister wrote:If you have the typical Wisconsin palate though watch out.

Senses dulled by beer, taste buds inculcated into submission by repeated ingestions of fried cheese products?

C'mon. Just say "it's really hot" and leave the regional stereotype BS out of it.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:20 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
dudemeister wrote:Senses dulled by beer, taste buds inculcated into submission by repeated ingestions of fried cheese products?

You make that sound like a BAD thing.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:24 pm

I stopped by today to buy a quart of his salsa that is based on Lizano. He says he tried to get it a bit spicier, but when I got it home and tasted a bit, it doesn't seem too hot at all. But the fresh flavors just jump out, which doesn't happen with Lizano. He has a good thing going with this sauce, and I hope he gets Willy St. Co-op to start carrying it.

Kind of odd, he could end up doing really well off of the recession, since people might, like me, end up eating a lot more rice and beans at home. Adding a Lizano-style sauce to rice and beans makes it much tastier, so maybe he'll end up selling a lot of this stuff. I hope he does well.

I think I'll take the Little Brother there for breakfast on Monday.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”