repeat customer

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
ouroborus4
Forum Addict

repeat customer

Postby ouroborus4 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:24 am

Does anybody have a restaurant that they go to time and time again, and never get sick of it (preferably in the greater down-town area)? There was a cafe in milwaukee i used to go to before it closed down, and despite being a bit expensive, i never got sick of their food. I haven't been able to find that in madison. I think the closest for me is the Mediterranian Cafe, but still, i can only go there so often. Any suggestions?

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:33 am

My girlfriend and I go to Taqueria Marimar once a week for lunch. We order the same thing every time.

keelio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby keelio » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:51 pm

I had an addiction to Pad Bai Kaprow w/ tofu from Bahn Thai while working just down the street. Also the Squash Curry from the Corner Store and I guess the Ikan Rica Rica from Bandung. But now I'm working in Waukesha, so those addictions are broken.

naybobber

Postby naybobber » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:21 pm

Shipley wrote:My girlfriend and I go to Taqueria Marimar once a week for lunch. We order the same thing every time.

And what is it that you get? Also, I really like Rising Sons deli on lower State St. Great SE Asian food.

Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:32 pm

Burrito, beans, and rice. Insane amount of food, always leave either very full or with a doggy bag.

dawnbug

Postby dawnbug » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:55 pm

naybobber wrote:
Shipley wrote:My girlfriend and I go to Taqueria Marimar once a week for lunch. We order the same thing every time.

And what is it that you get? Also, I really like Rising Sons deli on lower State St. Great SE Asian food.

Taqueria Marimar has amazing tortas. With beans and rice, it ends up being two full meals.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:20 pm

I used to like getting New Orleans Take Out's red beans and rice with a side of corn bread when I lived downtown. I'd take the little plastic clamshell thing of food to Burrows Park and sit and eat and watch the lake. No idea why I liked it so much -- it's tasty and filling, but perfectly plain.

blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:19 am

I'd take a Saz med sampler home every night for years.
Maza's comes close but is twice as expensive. Excellent hummus---a fresh antidote to the puzzling
and scorching 5-Alarm hummus at Hawk's...)

Bhan Thai egg rolls.
With a jug of that crack-infused sauce.

Anything at Rising Sons.

But Copper Gableon the corner of Bassett and Gorham may be just what the doctor ordered. You, too.
Breakfast burritos to pesto-asiago turkey muffalettas.
Last edited by blunt on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:27 am

I usually stop at Cafe Costa Rica almost once every weekend for brunch. They serve brunch as late as 2pm. They are never crowded compared with other places serving breakfast that close to the square. I usually go with one other person. We will order 1 Tico Sunrise Breakfast, 1 Breakfast Empanada, and 1 coffee (The Tico Breakfast comes with a cup of coffee already) and we split everything. Only about $6 for some tasty Costa Rican flavor;excellent coffee and you leave feeling full if you have a moderate appetite.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:00 pm

I often find myself ordering the same thing when I go to certain restaurants and because of that, I might not go to them as often. I have my favorites, but variety is also nice.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:20 pm

Turkey, lettuce, tomato, mayo and melted swiss on a boolkie at Ella's Deli...with sides of potato salad and coleslaw. Been having that for over 25 years. Still love it.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: repeat customer

Postby fennel » Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:56 pm

ouroborus4 wrote:I think the closest for me is the Mediterranian Cafe, but still, i can only go there so often.
It's funny you mention them, because they are my most common, reflexive destination. Not that the food is sensational, but it's pretty good – and relative to the price and hassle – it's very good. I rate it's music and staff well, too.

But, you're right. One can take only so much. They tend to over salt some dishes, and their béchamel has no appeal for me.

When I first got to Madison, I thought Wah-Kee Noodle would be the thing, but I had a few disappointments there. For a short while, I was enthused by Rising Sons, but their rice is just too pallid for me. (Seems like disposable packaging material.)

Bunny Chow
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bunny Chow » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:08 am

Sir Hobos.

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Re: repeat customer

Postby LargeMarge » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:55 pm

This is the usual rotation for my boyfriend and I:

Amy's Cafe - I get the veggie burger or hummus and tabouli pita. My boyfriend gets a burger. We both get the homemade potato chips.

Cabana Room - They have lots of beers. You get a sampler of 4 beers for a reasonable price. I like their margaritas. I get the cheese, pesto and tomato sandwich; my boyfriend gets a burger.

Maharani - We both love the navarratan korma. Their mango martinis are awesome.

We may be adding the Argus to our routine. They have a ton of different sandwiches at a reasonable price.

We also love Manna Cafe, but it's only open for breakfast and lunch. It also is out of the downtown area.

Aubrey McFate
Forum Addict

Postby Aubrey McFate » Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:36 pm

Jade Garden, BMI permitting!

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”