Weary serves brunch?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Weary serves brunch?

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:38 pm

A friend of mine I recently ran into from DeForest was raving about the Weary Traveler's breakfast. Have they always served breakfast??? This is news to me. Anyone been there on a weekend morning?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:43 pm

I've read that they have an unlimited pancake brunch. I've been hesitant, though, to just walk in and ask, "So, where all the pancakes at?" It'd be nice if they at least hinted at it on the menu.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:17 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I've been hesitant, though, to just walk in and ask, "So, where all the pancakes at?"

Why?

That's the first thing I say when I walk into any room: "Yo - where all the pancakes at?"

I get some pretty weird looks at the bank...

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:27 pm

You should go into Park Bank and Ask "Where all the white wom... er Bank-Love at?"

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Aug 22, 2008 3:49 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I've read that they have an unlimited pancake brunch. I've been hesitant, though, to just walk in and ask, "So, where all the pancakes at?" It'd be nice if they at least hinted at it on the menu.

I've had it a couple times. The rub at the Weary is the oft slow waitperson service, which for an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast can make all the dif in the world.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:01 pm

supaunknown wrote:I've had it a couple times. The rub at the Weary is the oft slow waitperson service, which for an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast can make all the dif in the world.

I dunno. I'm not sure I wanna leave a trail of scorched earth through the middle of all-you-can-eat pancakes. A little time between plates might do me good.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:15 pm

So is Weary brunch all about the all you can eat pancakes? Do they have any specialty omlettes, breakfast burritos, scrambles, etc? I consider a flap jack or two my dessert for breakfast after I've had my fruit/veggies/protein. And no, a well dressed bloody does not count.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:24 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
supaunknown wrote:I've had it a couple times. The rub at the Weary is the oft slow waitperson service, which for an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast can make all the dif in the world.

I dunno. I'm not sure I wanna leave a trail of scorched earth through the middle of all-you-can-eat pancakes. A little time between plates might do me good.

We're very different people, you & I. :)
Taking a breather for some stomach-settling is good, it's just when my used plate starts collecting dust I can get a little antsy at an all-you-can-eat-type (that's a lot of hyphens) meal.

reem

Postby reem » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:37 am

I went there on a Sunday late-morning once. They had a frittata with stuff in it - I think there are different ingredients on different days. They also had that West of the Andes sammie, only with eggs in it. And there was maybe one more main thing on the menu. You can get sides of potatoes or meats. It wasn't bad, and it was surprisingly quiet the morning I went. I'd go again!

Elliot
Forum Addict

Postby Elliot » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:07 am

supaunknown wrote:can make all the dif in the world.

-ference. That's 7 points.

I knew this girl who abbreviated way too many words when she talked. We developed a game where the first person to finish her abbrev would get as many points as letters she left off. It became a really competitive game.

For the record, that's -iation for 6 points. She was allowed to finish her own abbreviations, but she hardly ever got them before someone else did.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:23 am

Then you'll love/hate this thread, if you haven't seen it already.

http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23327

rockmama
Forum Addict

Postby rockmama » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:14 pm

The Weary's all-you-can-stuff-inya pancake breakfast is a thing of the past. The brunch they now offer is really good, and includes the aforementioned frittata and Andes eggwich along with french toast, fried potatoes, regular lunch items, and a fine breakfast cocktail list. And other deliciousness that I Can't remember at the moment. The service has been good for brunch every time I've been there. My only comlpaint is I wish they opened before 11:30.

m0rrigan
Forum Addict

Postby m0rrigan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:24 pm

What rockmama said.

The Weary is only open for brunch Saturdays and Sundays from 11:30AM on, far as I know. They serve all the things rockmama mentioned, but I have to give a special shout-out to the french toast, which is the most awesome french toast I've had anywhere. No lie. And I've searched! It's so friggen good, as are the pan-fried potatoes. And the waitstaff has always been good to me, no complaints.

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:53 pm

m0rrigan wrote:I have to give a special shout-out to the french toast, which is the most awesome french toast I've had anywhere. No lie. And I've searched!

I can not say I've researched french toast in this town. As a matter of fact, I believe I have only gotten it at one place... still, how does it compare the french toast at the Great Dane (if you've been to the downtown location for Sunday brunch)? My girlfriend and I like to split the Aphrodite omelette and the french toast as sort of dessert. The Dane dresses up their french toast with fresh fruit and berries. Again, haven't tried ft many other places, but I'm fairly certain it would be tough to top what you're given at the Dane.

On this same note, I believe Great Dane downtown is wideley overlooked as a breakfast option. They only serve on Sundays after 11am...and they commonly won't even give you brunch menu unless you specifically ask for it. When you consider how packed any other breakfast place is on Sundays, the Dane is probably my favorite default place to go---so much room and hardly anyone there before noon on Sunday.

m0rrigan
Forum Addict

Postby m0rrigan » Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:15 pm

You're right, I've never tried the Dane's french toast (didn't know they did brunch at all!). I'll have to check it out.

The Weary's version doesn't include piles of fruit--just amazing, thick, delicious bread and whatever awesomeness they use to dip it in. It's about as good a non-dressed up french toast I've ever had.

Return to “Restaurant News & Reviews”